“A gem of a place”
Review of The Talbot Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mells
The Talbot Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Mells B&B and Inns
Hertfordshire
“A gem of a place”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We had read good reviews about this place in a National newspaper and were very pleased we stayed here. Everyone was extremely helpful and very welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were comfortable and the linen pristine and white. Our evening meal was absolutely excellent and there was a good selection from which to choose. During dinner we asked about the history of the place and were leant a book on local history. The only problem we experienced was the historic uneaven cobbles in the courtyard which my elderly husband found difficult to walk on! I can recommend this place very highly. Other guests were chatty and interesting. Most had also read the good reviews. All were equally enthusiastic.

Room Tip: Make any telephone calls before arrival as there is no signal in the village!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Playa del Carmen
Reviewed September 29, 2013

From the moment you walking the staff make you feel at home. The pub itself has great feel and would be great place to hold a big dinner party with friend in one of the main rooms.The food is excveptional compared to some of the pubs of this kind in the area. The rooms are 5stars and the main suite in which i stayed at is huge with all the added extras, walk in shower, huge bath in room, kingsize bed, tv and small bag of goodies for all the things you usual forget on short trips.
Therrestaurant serves Breakfast lunch & dinner. Menu broken up into bar menu, pub food or resztaurant with daily specials. The bar itself caters for all types of drinks with a great wine lists.

With the crew running the show all ex Babington House employee you can expect a great standards of service but with a friendly relaxed vibe......We felt like it was our own private little pub. Highly recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Go for the large suite at front of pub (room6)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We often have to work hard to find places to stay that will allow us to bring our dog with us. The Talbot Inn is a lovely, recently renovated inn with just 8 bedrooms. One bedroom (Bedroom 8) allows dogs and this is the one we stayed in. The rooms are categorised in different sizes and room 8 is a 'Very Large' room, which meant that there was a huge 4-poster bed, a large 3-seater sofa, an arm chair, a coffee table, a window seat and plenty of space around all of the furniture.

The bathroom is also large with a rolltop bath and a rainburst shower. Both of these provide strong water pressure and almost instant hot water. A sheepskin rug and a small arm chair in the bathroom are nice touches. The bathrooms also include large bottles of Bramley products, which I think are as good as the more famous Cowshed range - you are free to use these during your stay although stickers do ask you not to take them away with you. I would give the bathroom alone 5 stars!

The restaurant does a lovely breakfast. You can order a cooked English breakfast. There are yoghurts, toast, croissants and cold cereals available too which you can help yourself to. The evening meals are lovely, although the menu does not change much from evening to evening so we did struggle a little to find new dishes that we wanted to try over the course of our 3 night stay.

The service is generally very good. Most of the dishes are tasty and good value; however, we personally felt that the puddings were a little on the small side. Almost all of the staff were warm and helpful. We were served at dinner on a couple of evenings by a younger, perhaps less experienced waitress who seemed a little less helpful and friendly - perhaps she was new and stressed? But we noted this more with curiosity rather than having it ruin our meal.

For walkers and those with dogs, this was an excellent location as there are many fields with public walkways all around. We traipsed happily through various fields and over stiles. We also did another walk through a wood and along a little river which was very secluded and picturesque.

A small observation: Room 8 (which allows dogs) faces onto the road. This means that you will get some noise from people leaving the pub and/or arriving early in the morning. I'm a light sleeper so I did wake briefly a couple of times, but my partner is a heavier sleeper and didn't notice at all.

Recommended.

Room Tip: Avoid room 8 if you are a light sleeper as there is a little occasional noise
1 Thank Doctor_Deluxe
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My daughters and I were very comfortable in the family room - our only criticism being that you had to get on your hands and knees to plug in the hairdrier. A mirror and wastepaper basket would be useful in the twin-bedded room. The Inn is situated in a lovely setting in a very pretty village. Breakfast was very good and made even more so by a very attentive member of staff where nothing was too much trouble. Very tasteful decoration and wonderfully comfortable beds. A perfect place to stay for a short break.

Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We can't say enough about this place. Mells is a very small quaint village close to Bath and Wells England. The Inn is just perfect...it is beautiful decorated with comfortable beds and very modern bathrooms. It looks like Restoration Hardware (that is a very upscale decorating store in the US) We spent 5days and did not want to leave. The food is very good and the staff is very friendly and helpful...perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: Our room was small and faced the front...next time I will choose one in the back and larger because...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I visited The Talbot Inn last week as my family were staying there and my Dad's wedding reception was being held there. Sadly, I could not stay the night, but the rooms my brother and Dad were staying in were lovely. Spacious and clean, with a charming mixture of modern with old. The reception was held in their sitting room and the decoration was beautiful from the candles to the flowers and table settings. Our group was only eleven in number and the room was perfect. Champagne and canopies were served when we arrived. The staff were attentive but suitably absent when required. We sat for dinner which was three courses all of a high standard. We were offered three options for each course, with vegetarian options available. I had potted prawns, pollock and cheese and biscuits. Worth noting that cheese and biscuits were not on our menu but this was provided with no fuss. The member of staff looking after us was very professional and very friendly - her name escapes me, but I felt she did an excellent job. For the owner or manager, the reception was on Thursday 12th September, so please pass on my comments. The village of Mells is very pretty and I would definitely return for an overnight stay if I am in the area again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Arriving after 8 on a rain soaked Friday night, having survived the mass exodus from London, we were warmly welcomed and made to feel at home. We hadn't booked an evening meal because we weren't sure how long our journey would take - but had been assured that a cold supper could be left for us if we got delayed beyond the time when the kitchens closed. Thankfully it didn't come to that and a space was found in the The Grill Room within ten minutes of our arrival. This was a warm, buzzing dining room that was as inviting a place as you could hope for on a cold wet autumn evening. Baby back ribs and spatchcocked patridge were both expertly cooked. The weekend had begun. The next morning my husband left early to go fishing (an early continental breakfast was no problem and a tasty packed lunch was provided for him). When I made my way to breakfast several hours later, I was looked after superbly. My husband having taken the car, I needed to arrange a taxi - again, no problem, all organised beautifully and quickly. That night, the chef kindly agreed to cook one of the fish my husband had caught - it (like every other mouthful we ate this weekend) was delicious! We found every single member of staff that we met to be kind, friendly and so very helpful. We would not hesitate to return to this beautiful place in such a lovely part of the world. We thought it superb value for money considering all that we experienced. It was a pleasure from start to finish. Thank you Matt - to you and to the rest of the team.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mells
The George at Nunney
#10 of 32 in Frome
George Hotel
George Hotel
#6 of 32 in Frome

Been to The Talbot Inn? Share your experiences!