DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Congresbury
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have just returned from my second long weekend break to Doubletrees this year. I initially came back in the summer with my friend and was so impressed with the Hotel, Services, staff and extra special touches that I booked the recent weekend for myself and my two daughters.

Once again, a great weekend, yes I had to ask for an extra glass and cup in the room, however, nothing is ever too much trouble for the staff here, who I imagine work long and hard to keep this hotel as nice as it is.

The breakfast is fantastic, and there is nothing you need ask for as it is all there. The food in the Bar Lounge and also at the Club Lounge are also of a high standard and cooked freshly. I have yet to experience the MPW restaurant and am tempted to try this on my next visit.

My girls and I enjoyed the best massage, and when I return again in just over a week for four days of relaxed bliss with a friend, we fully intend to make full use of the excellent facilities at both the Hotel and the Spa.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Greek first
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here overnight for a christmas party. I will start with the good bits.
It's a nice looking hotel and the rooms are clean and nicely decorated ( apart from the cow picturs). The hotel looks nice and the view was nice from my room. The bed was nice and comfy the breakfast was ok and the spa was nice.

The girls on reception are a bit rude.
Most of the staff look miserable. We had a3 course christmas meal which was very disappointing the potatoes were burnt, the veg was sub standard and I think you would of had a better christmas meal in a supermarket cafe although the desert was nice. The barman made a mistake and instead of saying sorry got funny with us. As a hole I was disappointed with the service I received. I have never stayed in a hotel where the staff are so miserable.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

A stunning location with great views and only about ten minutes from Bristol Airport (which is itself a long way out of Bristol city centre). Good service at reception - the cookie was a nice touch - and an attractive room (when I eventually found it - the layout is very confusing), though the decor is rather dark. Good bathroom with the large, walk-in shower that seems to be a Hilton hallmark. Well equipped, though I really do object to charges for Internet access...
Excellent breakfast, with generally attentive service.
The only drawback was that my room (ground floor at the back) had very poor mobile reception, people had to call me on the hotel phone.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have poor/non-existent O2 mobile reception (and no views!)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ashley H
Sheffield
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

We had a lovely long weekend break here, and were able to visit our daughter in Bristol, bringer her down for a couple of nights. The rooms were excellent and recently decorated in a modern style. The bathroom was especially well appointed and designed. The hot cookies on arrival were a nice touch and all the staff were very polite nd inviting.
We ate in the Marco Pierre White restaurant and were very impressed. Starters and main courses were of a very high standard and we really enjoyed the whole meal. We tended towards fish which was excellent but the steaks also looked great. See my separate review on the restaurant.
Had a great weekend, used the 'Club' leisure and spa. Great place to come and get pampered too.
There were weddings on both nights but I can't say it disturbed us in any way.
Would definitely stay again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
southampton
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

All round lovely stay. Pierre white restaurant beat Jamie oliver fifteen hands down. my boyfriends t bone steak was huge. really generous portions for a posh restaurant- not fancy and small meals like Jamie's! Only criticism was that breakfast was a bit manic and cramped on a Sunday morning, when the hotel wasn't full. The restaurant manager was very friendly and he even said high at breakfast. The breakfast was tasty none the less. Why don't they use an overflow room as there seemed to be enough of them. Pool and gym was brilliant and modern. Room lovely apart from no soap. Would definetly stay again.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

At a wedding. Service and food awful. General unfriendliness and rudeness of staff. Such a shame as beautiful location and venue is lovely. Think it's a management issue as all the staff seem really miserable and un-motivated . Really not interested in customer satisfaction. Wouldn't even provide allocated wine or some ice cream ( instead of custard) food very much like school dinner.

• Stayed December 2012
Colin B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House, responded to this review, December 10, 2012

I have emailed you personally asking which wedding this refers to and would appreciate you letting me know in order to investigate fully as to date we have not had any adverse comments relating to any recent or indeed weddings in general

We are very surprised and disappointed to read your comments,but they are taken fully on board and once you let us know which date the wedding comments refer to then we will be able to follow up fully

We are very proud of our wedding reputation and are very fortunate to host in excess of 100 weddings per year and receive feedback from the vast majority of our newly weds after thier special day and of the two recent weddings, we served the dessert mentioned and both couples were delighted with thier day and the standard of food and service received. The staff are much are part of the dedicated wedding team some of them with excess of 10 years service are generally well complimented, however your comments relating will also be followed up

Our wedding testimonials help reflect this area of our business and we are very passionate about satisfying every Bride & Groom, thier families and guests and many have posted testimonials on the site below

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your response advising which wedding you attended

Kind regards
Bristol, UK
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We booked a junior suite on an advance rate as we were going to the Marco Pierre White Steakhouse for dinner. Check-in was smooth and quite friendly and we were given 2 cookies in a bag (contrast to the States where there would probably be a large jar of cookies just left on reception for you to help yourself too! It just felt a little contrived to be handed 2 cookies....)

Our room was on the 5th floor at the front of the hotel. It was quite chic but decorated with lots of grey and black. Fine when arriving at dusk and it looked nice with all the subdued lighting but I am not sure if it would be the same on a sunny day in the height of summer. For a suite, I did not think it was that big but there was plenty of room to move around and a comfy sofa to relax on.

We asked for an ice-bucket to chill some wine and some glasses and these arrived almost as soon as we had put the phone down to house-keeping.

It was incredibly difficult to get the toilet to flush and one of the wall lights by the bed would not work. Small issues which we mentioned on check-out.

They had a public firework display at 6pm on the evening we were there - this was in front of the hotel and we had an excellent view from our window so a lovely bonus for our stay!

We slept well - the bed was comfy. The bathroom is part of the room - the bath and sink were in one corner and are separated from the rest of the room by the shower which is a large glass enclosure - no privacy whatsoever! You could watch tv whilst you were in the shower. The toilet is separate but it felt like it was tucked in a small cupboard.

The window in the room was not that big at all - a shame as we had lovely views right across to Wales. There were huge curtains covering maybe 2/3rds of the front wall but when you pulled them back, just a small square window.

Breakfast was fine - lots of selection but the breakfast room was packed and very busy. Hardly enough room between the tables which was awkward as you have to get up to get everything, even tea and coffee, so are constantly up and down and moving around the room. This was on a Sunday morning and we got the impression that there was lots of wedding guests that had stayed over from the night before.

I would go back as long as I got a decent rate for the room. I will write a separate review for the MPW Steakhouse.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JenO89
Also consider these accommodations in or near Congresbury
Best Western Walton Park Hotel
Winford Manor
#1 of 1 in Winford
Holiday Inn Bristol Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House? Share your experiences!