“Not worth the 4* rating”

DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Congresbury
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked the hotel after finding the nearby Best Western was full on the dates I wanted. Having paid more than I would usually pay for a short break I was expecting something a little special, especially as it was a Hilton. I have to say I was disappointed. While I cannot fault the staff who were always helpful and polite, the extra thought and touches weren't there. To begin with our room for 3 (double bed and very uncomfortable sofa bed) was laid out for 2... 2 cups, 2 biscuit, 2 glasses, 2 bottles of water..... Already I was feeling unthought of. The problem was soon rectified by the friendly receptionist who also had to bring our bags due to the lack of porters. Our room was small for 3 people and there was only a shower not a bath which I hadn't realised when booking.
Breakfast was chaotic due to the fact that everything even the drinks and toast were self service. The toast had to be made yourself which went cold while waiting on the queue for the cooked breakfast. My elderly nan struggled to make her own drinks around a crowded table.
One of the main reasons I picked this hotel was because the spa looked impressive. I knew that it was separate from the hotel but hasn't anticipated the steep slope and subsequently long walk around the spa to access the lift... Not exactly disabled friendly. The lounge in the spa which serves a nice selection of food was also disappointing. We had to ask for a table to be cleared and the waitress didn't even offer to wipe it even though it was visibly dirty. The floor was filthy with food droppings etc... There were 2 staff and it wasn't particularly busy... However it was noisy, with children climbing all over the seats, and not exactly a place to relax before going in for a treatment.
The treatment area was lovely and the staff very friendly, particularly Stacey who performed our pedicures. Had we been going for a swim before or after it would have been very awkward for my disabled sister as the spa and pool are on different floors and quite a walk through public areas.
The evening meal in the hotel bar was lovely and we enjoyed this both nights of our 2 night stay.
Although the cleaners did the usual bed making and restocking.... Again there was only provisions for 2 i.e. not enough milk or an extra biscuit. The sink area hadn't been wiped either.
Overall.... This is an impressive looking hotel from the outside and in a lovely area close to Bristol and Weston. However I will not be returning due the poor value for money and lack if attention to detail.... Disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2012
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on four occasions - by business necessity rather than choice - and it has never failed to disappoint. Complaints include:

A faint but noticeable odour of decay in many of the public areas and some of the rooms

Poor quality TV with few channels. Even Channel 4 was unavailable which they said was due to local reception problems - odd considering they use Sky.

Very average food. Marco Pierre White would throw a trademark tantrum if he knew what was being served up in his name. My experience has been of over-cooking, over-pricing and under-seasoning. Breakfast is pretty dull and even at 0730 everything is dried out and luke warm. Mass-catering class sausages, greasy eggs and bland button mushrooms

Navigation around this hotel is baffling. Use the lifts and you will find floor 6 at reception is floor 3 at the opposite end of the hotel and floor 5 if you manage to find your way to the very useful (but well hidden) service entrance lift. It can also be a long haul with luggage from the parking areas to the rooms

The rooms all seem to have life size images of cows. Personally I found waking up to the doleful stare of a wet-nosed Friesian a little bit disconcerting but perhaps it's a matter of taste.

The staff were outwardly pleasant but generally condescending and dismissive when any issues are raised.

The only good thing I can say is that this hotel's isolation ensures a reasonable night's sleep - until the first flights from Bristol airport of course

In summary I would never voluntarily stay here for a leisure break.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Cadbury House as a stop-over whilst working in Bristol this week. First impressions were good; the receptionist was friendly and helpful, a room request was well considered and we were given lovely warm cookies as a welcome gift! Room was spacious, decor was nice, and it was all very clean (the same can be said for the whole hotel). But there was a fan (or similar) that was pretty noisy all through the night and only stopped when we were about to get up!

The main problem with Cadbury House was that - even having only paid £74 for a room via LastMinute ('top secret' hotel) - we wouldn't have paid any more for it. First off, after a long and strenuous day we felt a swim and spa bath was in order. The facilities were good, but bare in mind that they feel much more like nice leisure facilities for local fitness folk than a relaxing hotel spa. Being situated in a detached building from the hotel didn't help (walking back to your room outside in winter is never so pleasant!) this. But the facilities were at least clean and modern.

Then we had dinner. The 'Marco Pierre White' food was of a fairly typical gastro pub nature - but with a higher than average price tag. There was only one vegetarian main (and it was only on that day's specials list). To be fair, the chef was happy to cook me something else (I opted for a salad... for £15). I felt guilty, like I was being awkward - especially as it was a steakhouse and grill! But as my husband said, as the hotel's only restaurant they should be catering for a slightly wider clientele and not treat vegetarians like a second-rate diners (the bar only menu offered more choice but was not the dining experience we wanted that night). My salad was nice and my husband enjoyed his Kiev, but left most of his beef dripping 'real chips' as the fat that oozed out put him off.

The front of house staff were all perfectly pleasant and helpful, but during dinner all did not seem so calm and professional in the kitchen... A lot of shouting (and not just orders being communicated!) resulted in a slightly tense eating experience. Breakfast the following morning was good (nice fresh breads and homemade smoothie shots) but all in all, Mr White appears to have sold out quite a bit. I certainly wouldn't put my name to this restaurant.

To sum up, this place is fine for business but not so well suited as a social venue. If we had gone for a romatic trip away we'd have felt robbed. And our stay was a comparative 'bargain'.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Cadbury House is an amazing hotel but the poor customer service lets this hotel down. Upon check-in we was not given the the DoubleTree signature Cookie which is the standard procedure for ALL DoubleTree when reporting to be checked inn. Our Junior Suite was amazing.
We found that the Spa facilities offered were terrible. The gym/pool/spa is in a separate building so it is inconvinient when waiting to go swimming having to walk across. Also the gym/pool&sap is very basic. It has the feel of a leisure center and we feel that it completely lets down the image of the hotel.
We were looking forward to eating at Marco Pierre White's restaurant. We where rather let down by the quality of the food. Selection of breakfast is ok rather basic.Overall this hotel is ok.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I booked this hotel by mistake through last minute.com ( I searched for Bristol hotels and inadvertently booked this hotel as I didn't read the small print to see that it was actually not in Bristol at all !) I don't have transport and have a busy work schedule so contacted the hotel immediately to see if they would allow me to cancel so I could use the funds to book a city centre hotel .

My overtures for them to help me have got nowhere , a genuine mistake has lead to "policy" being quoted at me. I cant use the booking and have had to book another city centre hotel .

An example of very poor customer service from both Last Minute and DoubleTree by Hilton , shame on you.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We as a company regularly use various meeting places. The Double Tree was perfect. The meeting room was comfortable and very well equipped. Things we usually have to ask for as extras were provided as standard. We were appointed a member if staff who was on the end of a phone or text if we needed anything. It was also cheaper than similar establishments that we have used. The Double Tree gave us a first class hotel experience. I would recommend trying it for business meetings or if you need to smooze a client.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed in the Doubletree, which on arrival looked fabulous as you drive up the drive way, with good parking. The receptionist was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean with the usual tea/coffee items available. The Remote contol for the televison was low on battery and therefore difficult to use. And I found the heating control not to be very responsive on a chilly night.
The bathroom looked clean and tidy with clean towels and a collection of nice citrus shampoo, shower gel etc. Toilet rolls were of poor quality.
On further looking - I noticed the black bathroom tiles could have done with a descaling from limescale. And behind the bath tap was very mouldy.
The hot water was plentiful and the shower worked adequately. The bed was comfortable and we had a good nights sleep with no disruptions from the corridor or outside.
Breakfast was excellent with a good selection of juices, fruits, pastries, muffins, continenal and english selections. My only issue is that I do not like "help yourself to tea and coffee" and hot water jugs - I prefer coffee and tea to be brought fresh to the table in a tea pot or a cafetiere.
On returning from breakfast, we found our room door to be open and the room was being "cleaned" and reset for the next guests, the cleaner proceeded to vaccum while we lifted out feet! We found this very odd, as all new items were placed in the room, ie teas, coffees, towels etc but the bed linen was not changed although the bed had been made.
One other thing which we didn't mind - but some people may find strange, was the huge black and white canvas photo of the close up of a cows wet nose, hanging on the wall next to the bed. Not your usual hotel wall hanging!
Checkout was easy and straight forward - we were asked (by letter under our door in the morning) to settle our account of £1. ( This £1 was for a childrens charity) and the letter did explain that we did not have to make this donation if we wished not.
All in all an average stay with a good breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GrannyDidda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Congresbury
Hampton by Hilton Bristol Airport
Best Western The Webbington Hotel and Spa
Holiday Inn Bristol Airport
Best Western Walton Park Hotel
Winford Manor
Winford Manor
#1 of 1 in Winford
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House? Share your experiences!