“A business hotel with an over-priced restaurant reliant solely on a celebrity chef's name.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Congresbury
Stratford-upon-Avon
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Cadbury House as a stop-over whilst working in Bristol this week. First impressions were good; the receptionist was friendly and helpful, a room request was well considered and we were given lovely warm cookies as a welcome gift! Room was spacious, decor was nice, and it was all very clean (the same can be said for the whole hotel). But there was a fan (or similar) that was pretty noisy all through the night and only stopped when we were about to get up!

The main problem with Cadbury House was that - even having only paid £74 for a room via LastMinute ('top secret' hotel) - we wouldn't have paid any more for it. First off, after a long and strenuous day we felt a swim and spa bath was in order. The facilities were good, but bare in mind that they feel much more like nice leisure facilities for local fitness folk than a relaxing hotel spa. Being situated in a detached building from the hotel didn't help (walking back to your room outside in winter is never so pleasant!) this. But the facilities were at least clean and modern.

Then we had dinner. The 'Marco Pierre White' food was of a fairly typical gastro pub nature - but with a higher than average price tag. There was only one vegetarian main (and it was only on that day's specials list). To be fair, the chef was happy to cook me something else (I opted for a salad... for £15). I felt guilty, like I was being awkward - especially as it was a steakhouse and grill! But as my husband said, as the hotel's only restaurant they should be catering for a slightly wider clientele and not treat vegetarians like a second-rate diners (the bar only menu offered more choice but was not the dining experience we wanted that night). My salad was nice and my husband enjoyed his Kiev, but left most of his beef dripping 'real chips' as the fat that oozed out put him off.

The front of house staff were all perfectly pleasant and helpful, but during dinner all did not seem so calm and professional in the kitchen... A lot of shouting (and not just orders being communicated!) resulted in a slightly tense eating experience. Breakfast the following morning was good (nice fresh breads and homemade smoothie shots) but all in all, Mr White appears to have sold out quite a bit. I certainly wouldn't put my name to this restaurant.

To sum up, this place is fine for business but not so well suited as a social venue. If we had gone for a romatic trip away we'd have felt robbed. And our stay was a comparative 'bargain'.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Cadbury House is an amazing hotel but the poor customer service lets this hotel down. Upon check-in we was not given the the DoubleTree signature Cookie which is the standard procedure for ALL DoubleTree when reporting to be checked inn. Our Junior Suite was amazing.
We found that the Spa facilities offered were terrible. The gym/pool/spa is in a separate building so it is inconvinient when waiting to go swimming having to walk across. Also the gym/pool&sap is very basic. It has the feel of a leisure center and we feel that it completely lets down the image of the hotel.
We were looking forward to eating at Marco Pierre White's restaurant. We where rather let down by the quality of the food. Selection of breakfast is ok rather basic.Overall this hotel is ok.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Totnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I booked this hotel by mistake through last minute.com ( I searched for Bristol hotels and inadvertently booked this hotel as I didn't read the small print to see that it was actually not in Bristol at all !) I don't have transport and have a busy work schedule so contacted the hotel immediately to see if they would allow me to cancel so I could use the funds to book a city centre hotel .

My overtures for them to help me have got nowhere , a genuine mistake has lead to "policy" being quoted at me. I cant use the booking and have had to book another city centre hotel .

An example of very poor customer service from both Last Minute and DoubleTree by Hilton , shame on you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We as a company regularly use various meeting places. The Double Tree was perfect. The meeting room was comfortable and very well equipped. Things we usually have to ask for as extras were provided as standard. We were appointed a member if staff who was on the end of a phone or text if we needed anything. It was also cheaper than similar establishments that we have used. The Double Tree gave us a first class hotel experience. I would recommend trying it for business meetings or if you need to smooze a client.

• Stayed November 2012
Bridport, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed in the Doubletree, which on arrival looked fabulous as you drive up the drive way, with good parking. The receptionist was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean with the usual tea/coffee items available. The Remote contol for the televison was low on battery and therefore difficult to use. And I found the heating control not to be very responsive on a chilly night.
The bathroom looked clean and tidy with clean towels and a collection of nice citrus shampoo, shower gel etc. Toilet rolls were of poor quality.
On further looking - I noticed the black bathroom tiles could have done with a descaling from limescale. And behind the bath tap was very mouldy.
The hot water was plentiful and the shower worked adequately. The bed was comfortable and we had a good nights sleep with no disruptions from the corridor or outside.
Breakfast was excellent with a good selection of juices, fruits, pastries, muffins, continenal and english selections. My only issue is that I do not like "help yourself to tea and coffee" and hot water jugs - I prefer coffee and tea to be brought fresh to the table in a tea pot or a cafetiere.
On returning from breakfast, we found our room door to be open and the room was being "cleaned" and reset for the next guests, the cleaner proceeded to vaccum while we lifted out feet! We found this very odd, as all new items were placed in the room, ie teas, coffees, towels etc but the bed linen was not changed although the bed had been made.
One other thing which we didn't mind - but some people may find strange, was the huge black and white canvas photo of the close up of a cows wet nose, hanging on the wall next to the bed. Not your usual hotel wall hanging!
Checkout was easy and straight forward - we were asked (by letter under our door in the morning) to settle our account of £1. ( This £1 was for a childrens charity) and the letter did explain that we did not have to make this donation if we wished not.
All in all an average stay with a good breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GrannyDidda
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was the second time we have stayed here, check-in was friendly efficient both times. Modern and unusual decor in the room, but nicely done. The hotel is on a hill so for those with difficulty walking the walk from the car park could have been an issue, but this meant the view from our room at the front was impressive and scenic.
We met friends there for a comedy night and had a meal as part of this, which was good for a function. Good service and not too crammed in to the function room.
Breakfast was excellent nd again, service was good.
Our friends used the pool and said it was good, but you do have to go out to a separate building which may be less pleasant in bad weather.
A couple of minor points:
- the cookie you re given on check-in may be welcome but I'd rather have this put in the room rather than making you take it up with your luggage.
- the room numbers don't match the floor you are on so finding your room after a few drinks can be challenging!

Room Tip: Get a room at the front for the view!