“Very disappointed with my experience, couldn't recommend”

The Club @ Cadbury House
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very disappointed with my experience, couldn't recommend”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I and two other friends bought a Groupon deal for a spa day including lunch with a glass of bubbly (it included 20% off treatments). We booked an hours gel pedicure for £44 which included 20% discount, so not cheap. The gym facilities were excellent and I really enjoyed working out there. However, my hour long gel pedicure only lasted 35 minutes, so I felt slightly short-changed; the 'bubbly' we had at lunch was probably the cheapest on the market, not even carva; i thought the staff were a little off-hand (when we returned our robes and towels to the gym reception we were told to take them back upstairs to the spa), just a minor point but goes towards overall experience. The food at lunch was not impressive and covered in sweet chilli sauce, not mentioned on menu and when I mentioned it, it was replaced with plain pre-packed salad leaves with no dressing and my half eaten fishcake put back on the top. All three of us agreed, although we live locally we would not be visiting the restaurant or using the spa - we were not impressed with either. Prime opportunity to get extra customers missed!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Nikki H

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“False advertising - NOT A SPA”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I booked a spa day as a surprise wedding anniversary gift for my wife and was utterly disappointed. Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly staff who gave us a tour of the facilities. Unfortunately, what awaited us on the other side of the changing room was not a spa. We were met with an average size swimming pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. There was very little in the way of seating and only two loungers.

The vast amount of screaming children, and their splashing and float throwing, really wasn't conducive to the "ultimate relaxation" that the hotel promised! This made it impossible to relax in the sauna or steam room as this could still be heard from inside.

We had a couples massage booked for later on in the day but didn't feel that we could stay in that environment until then so asked if we could bring it forward. Unfortunately, this wasn't possible and the staff agreed to refund the cost of the treatment - I was quite surprised at their lack of surprise at our complaint but after reading other reviews on TripAdvisor I'm no longer surprised! This is clearly being ignored by the hotel, which is very disappointing.

We stayed to have lunch, which was included in our package, and this was very pleasant, although you had to pay for the chips!

Unfortunately, my wife and I left feeling less relaxed than when we had arrived, as well as cheated. We would not recommend this "spa day", but the hotel and grounds did look nice.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank D-wilsuk
Bristol, UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Afternoon Tea - Pedestrian and Overpriced”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was very kindly given as a birthday present a voucher for afternoon tea for two at the Cadbury Country Club. I had not heard of it prior to this, but we set off in excitement, looking forward to a sumptuous tea in the drawing room (the voucher had a face value of £30).

What we were actually directed to on arrival was more akin to a leisure centre. The stench of chlorine permeated the ground floor. Upstairs in the restaurant this aroma was thankfully not in evidence. However, the tone of the place was set by the large and dominating television screen on the wall showing soccer. This distraction was in addition to the annoying muzak coming from the speakers around the tables. A significant number of guests were swanning around in dressing gowns and sports kit. In short, this was basically a café at a gym - nothing wrong with that per se, but not a place one would think to go for a high-end afternoon tea.

The tea itself was nothing to write home about: a selection of anaemic sandwiches in cheap thin-sliced bread; two average scones; and a selection of sugary cakes. The liquid tea was warm and wet, so that was something. The service had a 'there you go' attitude about it and did little to make the customer feel special. The overall experience was very average and fell far short of what one would have expected at the price point.

My advice to anyone thinking of purchasing or presenting one of these vouchers: don't waste your money.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Stickers
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Dirty and smelly.”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I regularly use the pool/ spa facilities and more often than not are extremely disappointed at the level of cleanliness. The sauna is usually the worst culprit with a very unpleasant smell. Things are often "out of order" or just not working properly and cleaning seems to be sporadic, at best.
From a health club that charges what it does for membership, I would expect the standards to be much higher.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Muddydan
Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Awful place”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

How disappointing this place is. From the outside it looks good, however don't be fooled. We went to the spa, gym and lunch before we flew out of Bristol airport ... never again. Spa was ok but certainly not the best I've had. The gym was full of chav's with attitude who were monopolising the equipment while on their mobile phones, it was also really unclean. I went on a bike and it was obvious people had been sweating and the place had not been cleaned properly for some time. I was told they do Groupon vouchers so not really the type of people you would expect to be members there. The food was awful and expensive in the cafe. I think they need to re-think their management and what people expect from their marketing.

Visited February 2013