“A hidden gem!”

The North Somerset Butterfly House
More attraction details
Owner description: Located 9 miles from Weston super Mare and 12 miles from Bristol, The North Somerset Butterfly House is a secret paradise in the heart of the westcountry. Immerse yourself in a tropical jungle filled with exotic plants and stunning tropical butterflies. During your visit, look out for Pete, Steve Backshalls "Bug Man" from his hit show "Live 'n' Deadly", he is always willing to share with you the hidden wonders of the Butterfly House.
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We have been to butterflies and more twice this year. We went on the first day it was open; it was quiet, just us and a couple of others there. We were told that we might not see all the different butterflies as it was so early in the season. We were delighted to see loads of butterflies; it was lovely to see them up close. We were given an identification and my daughter loved matching the sheet to the ones we saw.
We went again yesterday as there was a giant bug show on and half price entry. My daughter only saw part of the bug show; as she is only 2 1/2 she was a bit overwhelmed with it and there wasn't space for the adults to sit with littel ones; the older children seemed to be having a great time.
Again the butterfly house was a delight. There were even more types of butterflies this time, and we also spotted different catterpillars. The Atlas moths were amazing. We were able to hold newly hatched butterflies and the keeper in charge of this was very friendly and knowledgeable. In fact, there were a number of members of staff around and they were all helpful and pointed out things to see.
We visited the cafe - lovely cream tea and resonably priced. The gift shop is good with lots of themed items to take away, many reaasonably priced as a treat. On our first visit we bought a copy of the identification sheet (only 20p) so we could show family what we saw. This time I gt my daughter some stickers, again a reasonable price.
I could barely drag my daughter away; it was only the fact that they were closing so the butterflies could "go to sleep" that convinced her to leave!
Speaking to the staff it seems that this attraction is struggling to keep afloat. I urge you to visit; it would be a real shame to lose them.

2  Thank Alice M
BristolNell, Public Relations Manager at The North Somerset Butterfly House, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review! It's good to know that your daughter had so much fun with our identification sheet! It was a pity that the weather forced the bug show indoors - it is a much more relaxed event when we can hold it outside. Yes, like many other small businesses, we are struggling to keep our heads above water so your support and kind words are much appreciated. We hope to see you again later in the year - do keep an eye out for special offers!

Reviewed April 24, 2012

You don't always have to go far for a really good afternoon out. My wife and I took our six-year-old granddaughter and her parents to Butterflies and More in Congresbury, North Somerset for a special treat and what a wonderful treat it turned out to be - not just for the little girl but for all of us. The attraction is beautifully presented with the butterflies flying free and obligingly landing near us for a really good look. A small lake in the middle is home to some terrapins who keep a beady eye on the visitors. Our granddaughter was given a sheet to identify the butterflies and she excitedly spotted and identified more than half of them. Butterflies and more is a wonderful place to visit for all the family and I will certainly be going there again. I can recommend it without reservation.

6  Thank John A
BristolNell, Public Relations Manager at The North Somerset Butterfly House, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2012

We are delighted that you and family found so much to interest you in the butterfly house. Congratulations to your granddaughter for identifying so many of colourful friends! Many thanks for your kind comments.

Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

We took a visit today for something to do didn't really expect much to be honest. We arrived at the place to be greeted by a lovely welcoming lady at the pay desk, which when I herd the price I was a little more worried about the value for money aspect of our trip.
We entered the enclosure and I must say WOW from start to finish wall to wall of an excellent selection of some of the most magnificent butterflies and other small creatures I have ever seen.
While walking around a man who works with the butterflies showed us the hatching box for new butterflies and even had chance to hold one, he also talked us through some of the butterflies and caterpillars that they had there, he also then got some terrapin food for my little girl to feed the terrapins in the pond which is full of life to.
Beware it gets very warm in there so no need for a jumper!
Overal an excellent trip well worth it.

3  Thank Volkswag84

We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit and that our staff looked after you well. I hope you will be back later in the year to see how our displays of plants and butterflies have changed!

Reviewed October 21, 2011

Went here last month and loved it, I love butterflies and I was in heaven. My son entered a colouring competition when we went to visit, a couple of weeks later found out he'd won the runners up prize, which was a family ticket to go back. Wonderful. Will go again next season defiantly.

1  Thank butterflymad
BristolNell, Public Relations Manager at The North Somerset Butterfly House, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2011

Congratulations to your son on his prizewinning entry! We'll look forward to seeing you again next year - we're so glad you enjoyed the butterfly house.

Reviewed October 1, 2011

This place reminded me of East Africa where I grew up and had fond memories of the butterflies and rotting fruit they need to live on. Steve and Allen really make you feel at home and have good knowledge on the butterflies. I could understand the heating bill to keep the place at the right tropical temperature here in U.K. They do a good job and good luck to them for that.

3  Thank ABDULGANI_ISMAIL
BristolNell, Public Relations Manager at The North Somerset Butterfly House, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

Our Managing Director also grew up in East Africa and his childhood memories have been the inspiration for building the butterfly house. Unfortunately heating costs are a major drawback of keeping tropical butterflies in the UK but comments like yours make it all the more worthwhile. Many thanks for your good wishes.