“Superb Food......”

Mezze's The Ship and Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Congresbury B&B and Inns
“Superb Food......”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We visited this restaurant on our way to Cadbury and well, it was absolutely delicious. I ordered the Monkfish and king prawn dish and it was to die for. We also ordered sandwiches and wraps and the fillings were not only tasty, but very generous. We would definately recommend this little cracker of an eating house......

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jurassica22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Port Talbot,South Wales
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great find by me and the wife while staying at Hiltons down the road.The staff are great and the place is cosy and clean.Plenty of food choice and reasonable prices.Will most definately visit again when staying down this area as we could not fault the food or service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wolfy
Somerset UK
Reviewed October 20, 2013

first time at Ship and castle since it became Mezze. Very good food and vast choice of mezze/tapas.Four of us ordered 4 dishes each all very good. Service very friendly but not over the top. Not tried the main menu but will next time as it looked very interesting. Good pint of Old Speckled Hen and wine list not to expensive

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CD-and-J
Cornwall
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed for one night en route to Bristol Airport. What a lovely suprise, our room was fab and matched my love of darker decor and I had the most brilliant nights sleep. The en suite was spacious and well equipped Although they were busy the staff found us a table for our evening meal which was just delicious. I had the £12 Mezze and my husband the Monkfish. It was the best food we had all weekend even though we spent the following night in Geneva. Breakfast was also of really good quality. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mayfly17
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We selected from the a la carte menu. There are set prices for each course and the was a good choice of options. I had a Bouilabaise, it was lovely. My fellow diners both had the Kleftico and they said it was tender and tasty. We had desserts and they were sooo good. Service was very good and not intrusive. Layout is great and even though it was busy it didn't feel like it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I had read great reviews about the Mezze chain and suggested to a group of friends that we have lunch here on Sunday. Unfortunately it turned out to be possibly the worst dining experience I have had. Our party of 6 adults and 5 children choose a variety of different meals from the extensive menu. We had starters and mains. The children's food came out quickly and there was no problem with their sausages,chips. But when the adult food arrived it was disappointing to say the least. Most of our food remained untouched and despite lots of staff miling around no-one came to check on our table after the food had arrived. The philosophy here seems to be one of quantity over quality. The mezze was particularly poor - big bowls of sauce-drenched mezze with absolutely no delicacy to the dishes at all. The fried food was like something you'd find at an airport buffet, with chewy, dry meat. To compound this the staff seemed completely disinterested and cleared our uneaten plates away without anyone enquiring as to if there was a problem. I asked to speak to a manger and this is when the whole experience got worse. I was expecting the manger to at least to listen to our concerns but his reaction was at best dis-interested and at worst hostile. I said that most of our food was uneaten and he simply said 'well, I'll go speak to the chef' as if that made things OK. I explained that I didn't want to pay for food we'd been unable to eat. The manager seemed to think my agenda had been to come in and ask for money off rather than the reality which is that what should had been a lovely lunch with friends had been ruined. The manager took the bill away and returned it without a word. He had removed 2 courses and when I queried this he said 'I've taken £28 off the bill, I'm not taking off any more'. When I tried to explain what was wrong, he didn't even listen to what I was saying, but simply took the bill away and returned it to the table, again without saying anything. I realise that things can go wrong in restaurants, but the manager seemed to have absolutely no training in how to deal with customer complaints. I left not just disappointed with the poor food but angry at the way I had been treated. What a shameful way to treat customers. In conclusion I would never, ever return to this or any other of it's branches.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Catherine J
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Went here for a quick lunch before flying from bristol airport. Haven't been here for years and years , since it was a traditional pub. The interior is modern and stylish , in some areas a bit dark but our waitress suggested a table in a lighter area, we were early for a Saturday lunchtime but customers soon started to flood in . We went for the £12 mezzo, which afforded lots of choice , the liver dish was amazing and very good. I think this is something you need to try a couple of times and then you will find your favourites , but all of the selected dishes were good in their own way. There were a selection of main dishes if you didn't want the mezze. Drinks were a good price and the selection of wines were spot on for my taste . Service was friendly and the young waiter was great. I would definitely go back , something different and very social for a lingering lunch.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KLBOS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Congresbury
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
Mendip Spring Golf & Country Club
The Bridge Inn
The Bridge Inn
#2 of 2 in Yatton

Been to Mezze's The Ship and Castle? Share your experiences!