“Does "boutique" mean "still needs money spending on it" in English???”

The Ship and Castle
Ranked #2 of 3 Congresbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Early impressions upon arrival were very favourable - excellent attentive service from the person who showed us to our room, provided us with fresh milk for tea etc. The room was not what we expected - their website did and still states "king sized bed", whereas no larger than standard double. if you are paying for such amenities, you should have them provided. It was unusual for a hotel of this price range however to provide cafetiere coffee which was a nice touch.

The room was cosy in size - I am a great advocate of a certain purple budget chain and to be honest, I have never had even a single room in one of their establishments as small as this one was. Style was a mixture of attempted period with very modern shower room.

Dinner - we both decided on the mezze. Smashed eggs bravas was really nice, meatballs were moist and very well flavoured and considering they offer 3 dishes for £12, it is well worth a trip as the choice is wide and varied.

drinks - we had an excellent bottle of well priced wine and then decided to finish off with a malt whisky for my partner and a vodka martini for myself - and no, I dont think i am Jimmy Bond!! The waiter didnt understand either of these requests so he sent over what we assumed by his non-standard dress code was the manager. My partner asked what malt whiskies they had to which he replied "come to the bar and have a look". I have never been asked to view the drinks on offer before and would not expect anyone in such a role not to know at least the majority they had - the list extended to seven or eight therefore surely not a difficult task. this was compounded more when we noticed a sign just as we left saying "why not try a liqueur coffee with a malt whisky"!!!

My martini arrived and it was OK at best, however, it came in a glass with not one but two chips - one on either side. This I reckon had been caused by their storage system of having glasses hanging from wooden slots above the bar and rubbing each other. This really should have been checked before the glass went anywhere near a spirit and certainly it should have got nowhere near our table.

breakfast was really good and nicely cooked.

Overall, was it worth what we spent including accommodation, dinner, drinks etc? No. Would I stay overnight again? No. Would I try the Mezze again? Yes. Would I stick to wine and not "venture" into cocktails and whiskies? Yes.

Room Tip: Dont expect a king size bed in in Louis room, plus it overlooked the rear yard so not that quiet
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Met friends here for a meal and night out. It came recommended but was very average. The service was ok, the food was average and certainly not good enough to make me want to come back. I would give it a miss plenty of other great restaurants nearby

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed at the nearby Premier Inn but travelled to this restaurant for our evening meal. So glad we found this place, really good menu plenty of choice for vegetarians, which pleased our daughter. The staff were very friendly and attentive and the food was absolutely delicious and plentiful. Would definitely recommend this restaurant and will return when visiting Bristol again. Only slight criticism is that the restaurant would benefit greatly from air conditioning as we all found the restaurant very hot!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2013

First visit to their restaraunt and it was a pleasant surprise , we chose their 3 Mezze selection for £12. All the dishes selected (9 in total) were excellent .
The staff were helpfull and friendly and the premises clean and tidy .
They do have a varied menu other than Mezze so I am sure it caters for all tastes.
I will go back again , it's worth another visit.

Room Tip: Only used the restaraunt
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Randomly called in on a spur of the moment thing. Staff helpful, squeezed us in. Menu amazing - great choice. Food sublime (stomach actually hurting). Nothing was too much trouble (also great kids menu). Our waitress was lovely. All this for tweleve quid each! Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We loved this hotel. We stayed for 2 nights and ate there for dinner both nights. The hotel itself was lovely. Our room (room 1) was a lot bigger than we expected and took us by surprise. We stayed there because we planned to visit Cheddar Gorge and this was a perfect location with the travel between the two being about 20 mins. Its also perfect for coming from the M5 as its very close.

The breakfast was nice with a good selection to choose from. We didnt plan to eat there both nights as a little pub down the road also looked nice. However after the first nights food being so good, we decided to go for the Mezze the second night and I'm glad we did - so nice.

They have a lovely beer garden, perfect for a summers evening and we tried to work through their cocktail menu (£5 for a cocktail, such a bargin).

This is a lovely place for a few nights stay. If i was in the area again i would definately stay there

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ClareBlower
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Popped in with my wife. First time I have.been in it. Had a pint of bitter . Beer was fine as was my wifes half of larger. We went for the 3 dish Mezze., Each had a different selection. On arrival the food looked quite nice.taste was interesting and portion size acceptable, Service was prompt and polite. Wasn't busy at 6pm when we went in. The stafff were friendly enough and the cost maybe a bit high but not over the top. Would we go again?. Yes I think we would and take a few friends with us. I would be happy to visit the other Mezze establishments in our area,

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Ship and Castle? Share your experiences!