“Brilliant countryside pub”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Staying in the area for a few days we were able to visit this place twice and the food was delicious on both occasions. On Sunday we were able to go for the lamb roast for 2 and I must say it's one of the finest lamb roasts I've ever eaten. The meat fell off the bone as I carved it at the table and we ate every mouthful.

The beer was also good, staff were attentive, atmosphere was friendly. It made me wish I had this kind of pub as a local back home!

There are newer reviews for Lord Nelson Inn

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We go here quite often as its nicer than our village pub. The landlady and staff are always so welcoming. In the winter there is always a fire to sit next to. In the summer it's lovely to sit outside and watch the villagers meandering by. The food is great, always freshly cooked. There chocolate mousse is superb. Weekends you are best to book as it gets so busy.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Lovely pub, good quality food, good ales (always seems to be 3 decent ales on tap - one of them is a guest ale so regularly changes), very helpful staff, good skittle alley.

This pub keeps drawing me back - sometimes for food and sometimes just for drinks! The pub is welcoming for both. There is also a courtyard area out the back with some tables, but we normally just sit inside!

The pub always try to meet, or exceed, or expectations - i.e. they cooked up something special for my vegan friend.

All food is cooked to a high standard - they seem to take great pride in providing quality food.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I ate at The Lord Nelson on four occasions as we were staying locally for a week's break. The atmosphere is great and it is good to see the pub is supported and busy even on a Monday. The food is delicious and the menu changed so we always had a good choice of starters, mains and desserts. On Tuesday and Wednesday there is a special of two steaks and a bottle of wine for £25 which we enjoyed one evening. My husband had beer battered fish and chips and it was nice to see the chef coming to the bar and returning with the beer for the batter , all freshly cooked while we waited. The two young ladies serving behind the bar and also waiting in the restaurant were very attentive and on the ball. Nice to see such smiling faces! I mustn't forget the chocolate and orange bread and butter pudding which we had one evening. I shall be looking on the internet for that recipe! Would really recommend you try this pub.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

A gathering of family and friends in Somerset.What a great place to eat and have a few drinks.Lots of atmosphere,and although filled with local residents,a great evening was had by all.Service with a smile and the menu was extensive and the food plentiful .Definately will call in again and will most certainly recommend to friends