“Perfect”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pulau Gaya
london
“Perfect”
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Ill start with the one problem. The Air con is not very good and the hotel manager admitted the air con system is a bit small for the rooms. Our air con was not working at all in our room but the staff moved us to another room and also provided a fan for us and our other friends in another room.
I strongly suggest requesting a fan.

Other than that our stay was marvellous. There were 5 of us in our party and as soon as the restaurant staff saw us approch they were running off to get the extra space laid at the table. The staff were very very friendly and welcoming. They were also good at giving us a bit of history about the animals that come to the resort. Kiki the Hornbill likes to come and see what you are having for breakfast and dinner and also likes to sit on yoru sunbeds. The staff will take him away with a handful of melon.
Then there are the monkies that jump out of the trees and make you jump and then also like to go through your bags if left lying around on a sunbed. !!
The food is cooked to perfection but as someone else said if you were here more than 4 days it is quite limited.
One of our party was a vegetarian and there was not much vegetarian choice on the menu but the chef was willing to cook a vegetable stir fry up for her. In fact she liked it more than the vegetarian option on the menu !!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 16, 2010

This place is a bungalow resort on Gaya Island with it's own beach on the other side of the cove.The rooms are nearly identical in it's set format. Very clean rooms overlooking the South China Sea.This place can be reached by ferry from Kota Kinabalu in 20 minutes. which costs 30 MYR each way.The resort has a bar, pool, restaurant.
You can go snorkeling outside your room to see the fish in the 85 degree ocean water.
There was work on expanding the hotel therefore you may see carpenter materials laying around.Just past the cove you can navigate over a hill to see a stilt village right near the Resort on the island. I feel that this palce is not worth what they charge though.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We really enjoyed this hotel. Although a bit more than we usually spend it was worth it. I think what we noticed the most was that the staff seemed genuinely happy to be there. Our interactions with them didn't feel forced at all.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed May 28, 2010

This was the best place I've ever been to. As a woman, traveling alone, I was treated like a special guest by all the staff. I booked the spa package and got all massages from the partner I was supposed to be traveling with ONLY for me.
The Macac Restaurant staff were always welcoming me by the pool with a smile and calling me by my name and in the end we all made pictures. Was all I needed: hospitality (so I wouldn't feel so lonely), the infinite pool sometimes just for myself (when I wanted to be all by myself). Most tourists came only for one or two nights, so I could really enjoy my peace and hang out with the resort crew -by the end of my stay I knew they all by the name.
At the time they were finalizing a second resort Bungaraya and they took me there for one day, where I could enjoy the facilities: much bigger pool, 1 Km white sand beach and spa in the jungle. They arranged I could get my treatment of the day there. Just brilliant!
Had the time of my life. I highly recommend.
I will for sure come back :)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Singapore
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Everything is very nice apart from the rubbish which laps around the shoreline and really lets down what is otherwise an exceptional resort.
We thoroughly enjoyed our three night stay at the Eco Resort. The Marine Ecology Centre is a highlight and a must see whilst there. The food is good but we felt that if we stayed there longer than 4 nights the menu would be too limited. The service was exceptional from certain staff. A visit to the sister resort is well worth doing.
The chalet was very nice. We enjoyed the dvd selection from reception.
Be sure to remember your sun tan lotion and insect repellant as the shop does not stock any and only the spa can provide suntan lotion - at a very high price!
We did not find the construction work to be disruptive.
We did not swim in the ocean due to the rubbish and it being jelly fish season.
We found the insects to be extremely irritating (no pun intended). Some citronella candles at dinner would have made all the difference.
We found the wifi to be very good and we were quite a long way away from the Macac Restaurant (the hub).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lama-Boy
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We stayed at the Bayu Ocean View villa. There are construction works but not disturbing. We have met some workers but they are polite and not annoying at all. The construction works are not noisy but does affect some ocean view.

The staff are excellent. Very polite, helpful and sincere. The restaurants are good and not expensive.

We arrived at noon. Spent the afternoon for some snokelling but visibility was not good. No one should wake up late in the morning since there are a lot to do in the morning. We have our breakfast by boat to our balcony which was fantastic experience. The water was clear and quiet in the early morning. After breakfast, there is big fish feeding at 9:00a.m. and then snokelling to see a lot of small coral fish and big clams. Then visited the Eco centre...

The villa require some improvement. The aircon was halted at mid night and resumed after 10mins... Same situtation repeatly occured during the whole evening which was very annoying. The mattress for the sundeck chairs were badly torn... The towel hanger at the bathroom was dusty at the area where the towel is not hanged.

I look forward to go back again and stay more nights there...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I will start with the bad - construction is not mentioned on their website. If you look at the big picture of the resort, there are actually 10 new large villas being constructed on the left hand side along with accompanying banging and drilling.

Construction should always be mentioned to guests in advance. And at this price, is not acceptable.

TV signal on all channels is very hit and miss and sometimes unwatchable.

Despite what it says in the brochure, there is no internet in the rooms - the staff freely admit this. I did manage to get wireless working by moving an umbrella and table to the far end of my balcony right by the see in room 20 but it did not work in our first room, 38.

Staff chat late at night and early morning on their way to staff quarters which are past the rooms.

We were woken at 1.15am but what sounded like maintenance work in the next room, it ceased when we called reception to ask what it was.

The spa was suddenly closed so we went to the sister resort for a spa session which was ok, if a little amateur. The other resort was charging $650 USD for their villas which made us all giggle and pen the phrase "Just because you charge the same as Four Seasons, doesn't mean you are the Four Season". Staff said that there were only 2 guests staying at the other resort - this seemed fair at the price.

Air conditioning units have all been placed on the wall outside the villas but right next to the bed so the vibrations are very noticeable and would drive some people a bit mad.

Good things

Very well designed and pleasant rooms. Great balaconies with steps into the sea.

Best check in and mostly, the best staff of any hotel that we stayed at in Borneo.

Good food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Malaysian-fusion and delicious.

Free drinks for an hour every evening - very much appreciated!

To summarise:

Reading back through old reviews, this hotel has improved but it is not there yet. Discounts should be requested if they did not warn you about the construction.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoolianP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Gaya
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,378 reviews
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 91 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Gayana Eco Resort? Share your experiences!