“Ocean Villa is where you need to stay”
Review of Gayana Eco Resort

Gayana Eco Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pulau Gaya
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I chose this hotel rather than the SLH hotel on the same island (which I always picked SLH hotels) was because my sis wants to experience water villas. I booked on hotel website and the price was not cheap. Lagoon villa is the entry level and we booked the Mangrove villa, the next level up. But upon check-in, with the price we were paying, Mangrove villa is outdated and way below our expectation. To fully experience the resort or water-villa to be precise, we have requested upgrade to Ocean Villa and Ocean villa is fantastic. The stay includes private breakfast on balcony and food was delivered by boat and it was a nice experience. In general, the food is good at the property. We also did Bamboo Journey at Solace Spa, pricy and nothing really different. Though snorkelling at South China Sea right from the Ocean Villa, mangrove kayaking can make our stay memorable.

Room Tip: Ocean Villa further out from the restaurant to the ocean
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sheepo

Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Stay only at the beach villas.
That's the resort's key differentiator. For the price tho, the little things were annoying- the garbage on the beach, a broken step on the villa, algae on the step.

On the flipside, the staff were really attentive and nice, and the breakfasts were fab. Lunch and dinner were pricey so you might want to eat on the mainland.

Terrific to be able to jump into the water from your deck. Cool that you can also use the facilities at the nearby Bunga Raya- so you get rainforest and ocean.

Really lovely kayaking and swimming right outside your own door.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
TomasAndersen, General Manager at Gayana Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Dear Liulang,

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your oceanview room (not beach villa). You are right it is wonderful to be able to jump in to the sea directly from the deck of your room. Thank you for pointing out that one of the steps leading into the sea was missing, this needs to be fixed. As for the rubbish in the sea, we now have a team who collect any floating debris during daylight hours.
Thankfully most days we enjoy clear blue water but when the tide changes or during the North East Monsoon (Dec-Mar) it might bring in some debris and seaweed.
We hope to see you back in Gayana again.

Thanks

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stayed here for just two nights, but felt fully recharged upon departure. Main advantage of resort is that it's build in harmony with wild nature around, which makes you a part of this nature. I find those precious moments in sync with mother-nature to be priceless.

Transfer and check-in were flawless - we found transfer station on Jesselton ferry terminal without any problem (located near the pier) and it took the boat around 20 minutes to arrive to Gaya island. We were kindly upgraded to an ocean-view villa upon our check-in (#38). Villa interiors were well-designed and thought out and view from villa's terrace was simply stunning - especially, during sunsets. The only minor issue, which we had with our room - there were a lot of ants, which would appear everywhere, including bed - insect repellent, which was in room, helped only temporarily - we had had to re-apply it every few hours. I believe, there should be a better solution to this problem.

As for the hotel grounds, they are well-maintained. As for the sea - and it was mentioned by other reviewers - there's some litter, which can be found in water, on the other hand, it was seen very infrequently, mostly, after the rains - there are nets, protecting hotel harbor from trash coming from mainland, which works rather efficiently (you can easily compare with trashed shores of the mainland).

As for the dining options - there are just few - Chinese/seafood restaurant and Macac restaurant, serving local/Asian/European dishes. All the dishes tasted rather good, prices were reasonable (keeping in mind, that it's a resort restaurant). My personal favorite - young mango salad (tastes much better, compared to traditional Thai) and curry laksa. Be sure to take advantage of sundown hours @ Latitude bar (6 -7 pm) - first drink is on house, the rest - with 50% off.

Hickups, which are mentioned by other reviewers - monkeys, insects, rats, problems with water, electricity, etc. are mainly due to hotel location (surrounded by rainforest, located on the island) and due to hoteliers policy to be non-harmful to nature around; if you can't tolerate those expected hick-ups and more of a traditional resort (concrete grounds, marble floors) person - there's plenty of choice in Kota Kinabalu. If you can tolerate those little surprises by mother-nature - I would definitely suggest to give Gayana Eco Resort a try.

Room Tip: Would suggest to go for an ocean view by all means - it's worth every extra penny paid.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights here at the end of an action packed tour of Borneo.

We had a beautiful ocean facing villa and our request to have our 25 year old sons room nearby was fulfilled and he was next door so we could open the shutters between the two decks to make one big area. It is worth having an ocean facing villa as there is direct access from your steps into the sea, the option of a balcony breakfast and complimentary soft drinks and beers.

Within two hours of arriving the staff had learnt our names and thus all the service from being shown to our rooms to being served food was personal and exemplary. One morning we had a balcony breakfast delivered by boat which was an experience we wouldn't have missed but our almost empty plates were besieged by ants as soon as we finished but staff cleared them away very promptly.

The snorkelling from our villa was fantastic . You are advised to wear life jackets provided in your villa as we were told the currents could be strong. We didn't find them strong while we were there but were glad of them as it prevents you scraping against the coral and prevented me worrying about stonefish ( some of which you can see in the Eco centre).

The sea was beautiful clear and clean most of the time although I believe it can be less so in the winter with the red tide which I think is the krill that attract other sea life. One evening we had a tropical torrential rainfall which unfortunately blew in rubbish from villagers on other islands but staff were out the next day in kayaks collecting it all.

A beautiful hotel with monkeys outside our front door and snorkelling outside our back door! After our action packed few days it was perfect r and r so we just chilled but I believe you can do walks through the rainforest and visit the sister resort.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank LizB1
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We spent 5 nights in Gayana Eco at the Palm Villa for our honeymoon in early May of 2014.

The check-in process was rather smooth; we were greeted at the check-in office on the Jesselton Point Ferry Terminal, left our luggage and took the boat to arrive at the facility. The trip takes just about 15-20 minutes with the hotel's boat and is a nice experience. After arriving at the hotel, upon a short wait to finalize the check-in at the front desk we were led to our room by a member of the friendly staff.

Though we were already amazed by the pictures of the Palm Villa before our arrival, we were simply stunned when we entered the room (Villa #83). It was spacious and luxurious, with a perfect view of the bay. The management was kind enough to offer us a free bottle of sparkling wine since it was our honeymoon. When requested to bring over the bottle, they brought a warm bottle of sparkling with no bucket nor ice - which was a bit weird but can still be considered as an honest mistake.

We spent the first afternoon & night inside and did not leave the room. We had read the reviews that the monkeys could very well pay unwelcome visits to the rooms and there is of course the mosquito factor - so we absolutely made sure that no window and/or door was left open.

The second day, we left our room for dinner around 6pm. The afternoon turn-down service had just arrived and cleaned the room, so we left the room together with them. When we got back to the room two hours later around 8pm, I directly headed to the terrace and my husband went to the mens room by the entrance, the smaller one. While waiting for my husband to come to the terrace, I barely saw a quick movement from inside the room. The terrace windows are darkened/mirrored to decrease transparency so I was not sure on what it was, hence I looked more carefully. It was then when I saw a roughly hand sized creature move rapidly up and down the terrace door, inside the room. Quite shocked, I screamed and saw a mouse (it was perhaps the same one that I saw moments ago in the room or perhaps another - not sure, but it did move rather fast) run out of the room, down the terrace stairs into the stairs that lead to the ocean. Honestly I still can not tell whether it was the same mouse moving inside the room and outside down to the sea, or two different ones.

Upon hearing me scream, my husband came out to the balcony to see what's up, and I told him what happened. He went back in the room, checked around to see if there was any mouse inside, but did not spot any. What he saw, instead, was that the floor in the larger bathroom was covered with mouse feces, scattered all around the bathroom area - including inside the bathtub. Inside a room with no windows or doors open. Right after the cleaning. With no food left around. Nice, quite fun times on our honeymoon indeed.

We called the room service right away and let them know what happened. They sent two ladies to see what's up; which called the management as it was obvious that there were unwanted visitors in the room and that we were rather upset with what had transpired. After all, we were well aware that the facility was just by the forest, which was the very reason why we booked the Palm Villa, as it was the farthest from the forest into the sea - and we had absolutely made sure that no window or door was left open/unattended for a second.

The late shift manager -Mr Alfonso, I believe- came to our room to take care of the situation. He apologized for the incident, and stated that what we saw was most likely a shrew rather than a mouse, and added that this should not be too much of a surprise considering the fact that the premises were built just by the forest. Though we fully understand that natural life can definitely not be avoided on a such-placed facility, it is still unacceptable that the rooms can not guarantee an animal-free space. The manager offered us to move to the adjacent room (Villa #82). When asked how we'd be ensured that this new room would be secured from any animals from entering in -after all, apparently closing the doors/windows is not enough- he stated the best they could do is set mouse traps in front of the door and in the terrace area. We asked whether they had any sort of mouse repellants (such as those sonar devices), but no luck. As there was not much we could do, we moved to Villa #82. I guess it is more than fair to say that I did not have the best sleep of my night that night. On a related note, the proposed mouse traps were never set that night.

Next morning, my husband went into the bathroom, only to see that the bath tub contained mouse feces again - which were not there last night. Seems like we had visitors in this new room as well - lovely. We had already booked a trip to the sister resort Bunga Raya at 11am, so before our leave we stopped by the front desk and told them that the situation was becoming quite frustrating. They stated that they could perhaps offer us a new room on Bunga Raya and told us to check out our options while we are there.

We arrived at the Bunga Raya, and went out to see what options we have out there, were we to change our room once again. That said, none of the available rooms came any close to Palm Villa so switching to Bunga Raya would be nothing but an unnecessary downgrade. Hence, before heading out back to Gayana Eco, we requested that we would like to speak to someone in charge when we get there.

Upon our arrival at Gayana Eco, we were greeted by Mr Ranier -executive assistant manager, I believe, sorry for typos if any. He also stated that this was quite an undesired situation for them as well, and mentioned about how close they were to the forest again. The explanation he could come up with regarding the issue was that earlier guests must have left food outside, the scent which had summoned the shrews. He offered to move us to a different villa again, #85, saying this villa had not had any guests in the past 4-5 days so likely it was not a place that the shrews would frequent. 3rd night, 3rd move to 3rd villa - my dream honeymoon indeed. Important to mention that the management offered us a dinner as a compensation to show their goodwill.

The last two nights were relatively quiet; visually mouse-free, at least.

In order to capture some quick highlights other than mouse incident, I can say that the facility is stunning in terms of nature and view but the hygiene and the restaurants are mediocre. Comparing the charges, you would definitely expect much more to feel special. Noting down the fact that the mouse incidents may affect our general judgement and pull that down for obvious reasons, the facility is not a good value for money. Limited food and activity options make someone feel quite trapped in the island. Frankly, I would never consider to re-visit this place or recommend to any friends. Overall, this place is not as premium & special as it is promoted and you would expect considering the premium price you pay.

Room Tip: Palm Villas are the best which is followe by Ocean Villas. However please note that the privacy here...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank secil H

Dear secil H,

Firstly, I most apologise for the shrew which entered your palm villa and disturbed your honeymoon. We try to deter them from entering our rooms but sometimes they just don't listen.
Being located on an island off the coast of Borneo, one must expect nature is in an abundance.This to me is actually a strong selling point otherwise why come to Sabah in the first place. I can pretty much guarantee any of our guest will experience, macac monkeys, wild boar, monitor lizards, snakes, shrews and hornbills. Our resort is located next to the jungle after all so we try to coexist with the local animals and live in harmony with nature.

I am glad you acknowledged and appreciated the response from my team, our goal is to exceed guest expectations which unfortunately fell short on this occasion.

Best regards

Reviewed May 20, 2014

After reading the negative reviews I was more than nervous for our stay at Gayana Eco Resort, but unlike those reviews, our entire experience was incredible.

We stayed for 4 days from the 14th to 18th of May to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary.

Before we left for the trip, the resort emailed to inform us that the pool was undergoing emergency repairs and would be out of action for a week. They offered to move us to their sister resort Bunga Raya as they had a full working pool. As we had booked an ocean villa with direct access, this would not suit, so we asked them to confirm the sea condition (as we were TERRIFIED after seeing the previous TA review with all the rubbish) and were told that it was very clear, so we decided to keep our existing booking. And I am SO GLAD we did.

We arrived late on the Wednesday, but they were fantastic and arranged the car to boat transfers for us at the time we needed with no extra charge. It was raining on our arrival and we were given huge umbrellas every time we were not under cover.

We woke up to paradise…..

The ocean was amazing….. It was like looking in to an aquarium, so many incredible fish and sea life.

The room was great with a massive king bed, huge shower with 5 settings to choose from and brilliant aircon and fan. Staying in the ocean villa we had free mini bar inclusive of soft drinks, water and beer, however note, there are no “snacks” anywhere in the resort, so if you are a chips / nuts / chocolate type of person, buy some before arriving on the island. Robes and slippers were provided as were massive soft beach / pool towels.

Room service was fantastic with a great selection and arrived within 30mins of ordering every time. My fave was the Roti Prata and their signature salad “The Macac”. (I think I ordered this 3 times) The breakfast boat is awesome too. They deliver your pre-ordered (included in room cost) breakfast at a time you choose! We also chose eat in the Macac restaurant which has a full cooked menu and continental buffet.

As we were celebrating our anniversary we booked a 5 course “western” romantic dinner and it was simply MAGIC. There was actually too much food but it was totally worth it for the experience. The table setting was stunning and it was worth every cent.

Also every night, diners at every table are serenaded but a lovely acoustic duo who sing and play guitar beautifully.

The other restaurant Alu Alu (seafood) was pricy, but OMFG, the food was incredible and so so fresh. A.K, our waiter, really knew his stuff. He basically chose everything for us and it was all perfect.

There is an abundance of wildlife including some devious monkeys, so don’t leave stuff on the decks or your doors open. There are also wild bores, Giant clams, jellyfish, starfish, a SEA SNAKE (so scared lol) and endless types of fish. There are some adorable “resort” cats and dogs too.

The MERC centre is amazing and for 135MYR you can “adopt” some coral. It allows you to plant a broken (but alive) stem into a cement base, which they will replant in the artificial reef. They will send periodic updates for a year. The MERC centre is very educational and not to be missed.

Snorkelling is a MUST DO! During our stay we were lucky enough to see black squid. There were hundreds and they were incredible to watch. (Mostly juvenile). The snorkelling gear is free of charge and really decent quality for a resort. I have snorkelled in a lot of places, but Malaysia so far is the best. Diving can be arranged. I used the free stand up paddle-board and that was an awesome experience looking down into the reef from above.

Gayana did run a complimentary boat to their sister resort every day should we want to use the pool there, however we did do this as we had all we needed at Gayana (even without the pool).

My husband and I also paid 150MYR each for a cooking class with Aziz, a resort chef. The class was fantastic, and he is a great teacher. Very patient and funny. We cooked 3 courses, and were allowed to keep our awesome apron and chef’s hats. We were also given copies of the recipes of what we cooked. The best part, was returning to the Macac restaurant that night to eat what we had cooked!!! I highly recommend this class.

The spa to be honest, is not the best, nor is it worth the price, but in saying that, I am comparing to other Asian resorts. The therapists were fantastic at what they do, and the facial and massage we received were still very good.

Affendy, Aziz, A.K and Ruwell made our stay amazing! All were so attentive and friendly and genuinely happy. Not “oh it’s a guest” fake happy. It was very refreshing.

A few things that could be improved on, but bear in mind, Asia, and certain standards are not always up to par with the western world….

There is trash. It comes in with the tide. The resort does their best, and often we saw staff on boats and on shore picking it up. Some guests (including me) even got in on the action, and would collect bits here and there. This won’t be rectified until people are educated on ocean pollution and what it does to marine life, but when you are not taught to respect nature, it’s hard to put it into practice. I would like to see the resort have a dedicated team that collect it all day, every day with divers too, as it is an eco-resort. But they do try.

Some things are a bit dated… but remember the resort is built on the ocean / beach and is exposed to all the elements, all the time.

The power does randomly go off. It didn’t bother us as it came back on within seconds. To the people in previous reviews, please remember, you are on an island…. Of the main grids, this stuff does happen.

Wi-Fi – now this one did hurt. There is basically no Wi-Fi access in the ocean villas. The signal is way too weak. As a community director, I am online on 3 devices all day every day, so I really did struggle. But I did get enough signal in the restaurants to check emails, Facebook, new sites etc. Downloading from iTunes or newsstand did not work. If you can’t live without connection, I suggest buying a prepaid data sim in KK before going to the island, as I was able to receive phone service outside the villa. Also Samsung devices seemed to have better connection / reception then my Apple ones.

So in summary, we had an incredible time, and we will return. We talked about making this our annual anniversary destination as it was truly beautiful, relaxing and just perfect. When travelling in Asia, to places like Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia etc, you need to remember that although they rely heavily on tourism, they don’t always educate or support the environment the way some western countries do.

Room Tip: Ocean access villa's are worth the money.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
TomasAndersen, General Manager at Gayana Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Jazskimo,

Wow thank you for such a wonderful and thorough review, I shall ensure this is shared amongst everyone in Gayana. Creating raving fans or ambassadors of our property is the key to our future success so thank you for becoming one.
We truly hope to see you and your husband back in Gayana soon again.

All the best to both of you.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

My sister and I stayed 3 nights in the beautiful Ocean Villa (Rm 44) in April. I had read the previous reviews about the resort but definitely did not see the large amount of rubbish floating nearby or experience any "stench".
The Ocean Villa was superb - and especially having your own private jetty to jump into the lagoon to cool off at any time (in the clear water). The bathroom and overall cleanliness of the room was of a very high standard.
There are 2 restaurants on the resort - the main restaurant is next to reception overlooking the water and has a mixture of food styles (Asian, Western, Thai & Malay). The 2nd restaurant (next to the Pool) also has a wide range of food to choose from and both are reasonably priced (particularly for an island resort). From 6-7pm was Happy Hour where the first drink is free and the remainder are 1/2 price. Visit the Eco-Centre at the front of the resort where the environmental efforts for the clam population is admnirable. The theatrerette shows a short video presentation of the work undertaken then the friendly guide takes you on a very interactive tour with specimens and a well presented aquarium. Well worth the visit (its free)
There are activities to do (snorkel, kayak, bushwalking and more) but its not a "raging" resort by any means with nightclubs - more a relaxed resort where you decide how much or little you want to do. One of the most ingenious (and novel) features of the resort was having your breakfast delivered by your jetty. The night before you'd place your order and time - then its "ferried" to you at the approximate time to enjoy your brekky on the balcony. This was included in the price too.
Any negatives?.. Not really. Although as an Aussie we tend to speak faster - so I had to ensure that I would slow my spepech down to enable the staff to understand my request.... minor thing really.
So I throughly recommend the Oceans Villa _ Rm 44 is good as you;re away from the front of the resort (which can get a bit noisy with everyone walking past at all hours). We were warned about the monkeys fromthe rainforest and not to leave ANY food outside (or inside) as they'll come down and eat it. However, we noticed a few stray dogs keeping them at bay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Vietnamexplorer

Dear Vietnamexplorer,

Exceeding expectations is what we try to achieve with every guest visiting our beautiful resort. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.Thank you for sharing your experience with fellow TripAdvisor readers, we hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Gaya
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
#10 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
#2 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
#6 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
#4 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Gayana Eco Resort? Share your experiences!