A special and unique hotel - we had a great time. Truly relaxing. The rooms over the water are lovely - sunny and roomy with quality furnishings - the bed in particularly - just wish there'd been a mirror in the main room!
The food was fabulous too. Loved the breakfasts in particular and the organic veg. The locally farmed fish was a treat.
Our 10-year-old loved the Marine Ecology Research Centre - but the day long activities you seeon the website need to be booked in advance and paid for separately as extra so bear that in mind.
We loved snorkelling and also went kayaking through the mangroves and hiking through the rain forest at the sister resort Bunga Raya (do take a guide - you get to see so much more.)
There were a couple of slight negatives. The infinity pool at Gayana wasn't infinity and closed at 6pm which meant no early evening swimming.
We weren't given enough info about activities or facilities when we arrived. e.g. We did not realise we could eat at Bunga Raya in the evening and get a boat back until the end of our stay when a guest told us!
There is also no boat back from KK between 6pm and 10.30pm - one at 8.30pm would be good. Otherwise we would highly recommend Gayana (unless you have small kids). And watch out for the monkeys! Always keep your windows shut - we had a hungry Macaque try very hard to get in via the balcony!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gayana Eco Resort rests serenely at the edges of Gaya Island off the coast of Borneo. 52 over water villas designed to enhance the soothing sounds of the surf, while capturing the enduring vistas of Mt. Kinabalu on the distant horizon. At its heart is about protecting and re-generating our precious Marine Ecology, and the only property to feature its own Marine Ecology Research Centre propagating Giant Clams and restoring damaged coral reefs. Striking the perfect balance of forward thinking ecology and indulgent luxury which pampers both the body and the enlightened soul. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Preferred Hotels, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, MrandMrsSmith, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Gayana Eco Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gayana Eco Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Gayana Resort
- Gayana Eco Resort Malaysia/Pulau Gaya