Gaya Island Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Grandis(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Breakfast included
Gaya Centre Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Restaurant
Wah May Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
View Hotel
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
Qbic Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
View Hotel
Little Gaya Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
Hotel Capital(Kota Kinabalu)
View Hotel
Kinabalu Daya Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
1,333 results
All reviewsfisherman's covenature walkprivate beachjapanese restaurantpool bartavajun baywalk in wardrobespa villagekinabalu villawild boarsunset cruiseytl hotelsour honeymoonmain restaurantpangkor lautomakasehuge bathtub
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Pick up from the airport and boat trip all worked well. Arrived in the dark and it was a bit of a hike to our tree-top room. The main 'Feast Village' restaurant is a bit like a school canteen and we only had breakfast there. Bit chaotic but the staff were more than happy to rustle up anything we asked for. Recommend the small pots of figs in syrup with Star Anise and cinnamon. Food at the pool side (which I assume comes from the Feast Village) was excellent. Did the tourist 'Tribal Dinner' on the beach (excellent BBQ fish) and then ate in the Fisherman's Cove for second night. A good meal - but the clue is in the title. Expect fish!

But the gem is the private beach. Just minutes by launch, it is secluded but has all the amenities. Try the picnic box from the restaurant, delivered to your spot on the beach. A small marine centre has some aquaria with various examples of sea life. Wonderful little bonus. We'd go back again. For nature lovers, we saw wild pigs both days (in fact, they seem almost domesticated on the main beach) and monkeys come to the small dining area on the private beach - but you are warned not to feed them! Oh, and you are on the edge of the jungle so, during the hours of daylight, the insects are noisy!

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk far, go for the beachside rooms or anything in the 600 and 700 range.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Kirinjit, General Manager at Gaya Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear n_macleod234,

Sunny greetings from Gaya Island Resort!

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to leave such wonderful comments. It makes me incredibly proud to hear such feedback, particularly about the service you experienced from the Staffs at our resort, and I am delighted to hear that you will hopefully return to stay with us in the near future. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kirinjit Singh

Reviewed March 22, 2014

The Hotel itself was beautiful, the grounds were stunning, the rooms were a very high standard, communal areas excellent and staff very polite. However what really let the place down was the food. Other reviewers have talked about the extensive nature of the food offering, but when we were there, there was no buffet and only an A la carte menu of very limited choice and the food quality could only be described as mediocre if you are being generous. What was more shocking was the price of food and drinks. For 2 dinners for 2 people and only a few beers the bill was well over 1,000 ringits (£225) which was shocking given the poor quality of the food. You really got the feeling that because you were on an Island and had no choice of alternatives they were fleecing you. A real shame as the hotel itself is very nice but the cost and quality of the food just couldn't offset this.

Room Tip: The higher up the rooms the better the view. It means more of a walk to the center of things but its worth it.

Dear FBrown1980,

Many thanks on your review.

I note on your comment of limited food choices on our menus. I would like to share that we have enhanced our menu offerings with up to 50 different dishes available for one to choose from. Since our this implementation, we have received positive comments from our guests.

Again, thank you for taking your time to write the very valuable review and lead us on our areas for improvements as shared.

I look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort in future.

Kirinjit Singh.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I had to be harsh when reviewing Gaya Island resort as it was the final of 4 stops on our honeymoon tour of Borneo. We decided to go for ultimate luxury to finish our stay and booked 5 nights here. Had we not stopped at some of our previous hotels I may have scored it higher but I have to use them as a comparison.
This was one of the more expensive aspects of our stay and I don't feel it was the best way to spend our money.
The staff were faultless and of course paid us a little extra attention due to us being on honeymoon. I did, however, feel more attention was paid to certain other couples and families staying at the resort that clearly had a lot more cash available to them then ourselves, but I guess that's the nature of the business. We originally upgraded to the food package thinking we could save money this way but after a day we realised that unless we ate three course meals at all times of the day this just wasn't going to pay off so we cancelled it.
The food was very nice. We treated ourselves to a private meal on the beach which was beautiful and I would definitely recommend it for some extra romance. Families are restricted to the buffet area which is still amazing, with cuisine from all over the world.
We went to the private beach a couple of times during our stay and it's well worth a visit, particularly if you want someone a little quieter and enjoy a swim in the sea.
Our room was incredible! Very luxurious with a fantastic view. I loved the huge bath tub! The hotel grounds itself definitely needed more time to grow into itself. There was a lot of empty space between room that needed vegetation to grow around it to hide the foundations. The ponds were also a little low on water which made it look a little scruffy around the edges, but I'm sure this will be fine in time as it had only been open just less than a year when we went. We didn't do the nature walk, simple because we had spent two nights in the rainforest lodge in Danum valley and there was no way it was going to compare.
I was starting to feel a little cabin fever after 5 days as there isn't much to do except sit and sunbathe, which is lovely if that's what you want I guess.
Like I say, if we hadn't been to places such as Danum Valley and Kapali / Sipadan then this probably would have been rated much higher but for value for money it just doesn't compare experience wise. I had to be honest. (really I would have liked to give it 3 and a half as it was good, just not very good).

Room Tip: We had a corner room which gave us a fabulous view across the sea and resort.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Bug_Et_Denny,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort- a walking resort!

Thank you for your stay and review. Thank you very much for your view and I am happy to read that your enjoyed the services and facilities as a whole.

I would like to share that we have now enhanced our activities calendar. Total 20 different activities/experiences are now available for our guests to choose from with averaging 5 to 6 different activities on offer daily.

Again, thank you very much on your review and I look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort in future.

Kirinjit Singh

Reviewed March 20, 2014

We landed at the airport and caught a taxi to the Sutura harbour marina. There was a lovely welcome from the representatives in the office at the marina. We hopped on the boat for a 10 minute ride to the resort then lazed by the pool whilst they got the room ready, as we arrived early in the morning. The pool is wonderful for relaxation and long enough for good laps. The rooms were beautiful and spacious and overlooking a stream with ocean glimpses. There was ample shampoo, conditioner and body soap and lots of other bathroom items in the rooms. The dining is expensive compared to the mainland but it was good quality. The Fisherman's Cove fish restaurant served beautifully cooked fish and had a selection of breads and sorbet entree as part of the main meal. The ambience and view from this restaurant was very romantic. There was a lovely library with internet access and a well equipped gym. We tried the diving and was a bit disappointed with the March diving as there was red tide clouding the water and the dives were rather shallow. We were advised the diving is best from May to Aug and they often can get to better locations at that time of the year. I would not recommend this location for the disabled as the was stairs to get to all areas and a wooden walkway and stairs to get to all rooms. There is a private beach that a boat goes to every hour on the half which is a lovely beach to relax on. They only serve a fixed price three course lunch at the private beach which we thought odd as they would have had substantially more customers if they served light meals for lunch. We had a lovely time there and we felt so relaxed with the wonderful service, as the lovely Malay people always provide. We look forward to our next trip to KK and I'm sure Gaya will be on the itinerary.

Room Tip: Request close to restaurant area as some rooms are quite a long walk to get to.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
James_YTL, Manager at Gaya Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2015

Greetings from Borneo!

Thank you for this lovely review from your visit to Gaya Island Resort.

I am glad you had a wonderful experience and that you thoroughly enjoyed everything from the views through to our perfect and convenient location in Kota Kinabalu.

I have shared your comments with the team for them to enjoy also.

Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you back for another relaxing visit on your next trip to Kota Kinabalu

Warm Regards
James

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We loved this place and our week long stay was absolutely fabulous. I was a bit nervous given some of the reviews but really, this is a fantastic hotel. It's smallish, didn't feel crowded and the landscaping is quite dramatic - some of the lodges literally are in the jungle, but it's lovely that they've kept the rainforest feel to the surroundings! We had the basic villa but it was great - amazing double bath, comfy huge bed, walk in wardrobe and brilliant views! The pool is perfect for swimming and has a nice bar, the food at the different restaurants is pricey but not ridiculous, and the complementary nature walks, yoga sessions & trips to the other beaches etc were brilliant - and so were the young but friendly staff. The island is outside KK so it's not in the middle of nowhere - but it's quiet and beatiful. Loved it & would happily recommend to my friends!

1  Thank LauraonHoliday

Greetings from Borneo!

Thank you for this lovely review from your visit to Gaya Island Resort.

I have shared your comments with the team for them to enjoy also.

Warm Regards