I am going to struggle to keep this review to a minimum because i could talk about Bunga Raya for forever and a day! To say we had a perfect stay is the understatement of the year. When we arrived in KK last september, we stood on the harbour and joked that the fancy speedboat emblazened with 'Bunga Raya' was waiting for us. Never in a million did we think it really was! This should've been our first guess that we were in for a real treat. After being checked in at the harbour, we were escorted by the manager to the speed boat and sped across the most beautiful seascape imaginable. When we arrived on the Jetty of the hotel we were met by all the staff complete with iced tea and cold towels. As it turns out we were only the second guests ever to have stayed on the island and we were also the only guests on the island for our entire week. (A stay which could not be planned or ever recreated i think!) As a result of this, and because we were celebrating our wedding anniversary we were upgraded from the mountain villa which we had booked, to a beach front villa.
The villa was stunning. We were completely speechless. All the villa's have their own mini garden, a bridge over a small stream which leads to the beach and a private plunge pool! Incidently no-one would be disappointed with a mountain villa either, we were given guided tour of them all and the views from high up are incredible. [The only downfall with those is that they are amoungst the Reinforest and there are a lot of mosquitos up there and apparently a few pesky marquaques].
Over our week we were utterly spoilt. Starting each day with a picnic hamper left on the veranda with ice cold fruit juice and muffins in (to keep you going until breakfast which was delivered within minutes of showing our faces each morning!!). Lunch - if you could find an appetite was taken at the bar on the beach. We enjoyed many chicken satay skewers there! Our evening meals were taken anywhere we fancied, they surprised us with a different location every single night without fail. But without question, the best we had was a seven course beach barbeque for our anniversary. A table was set on the sand and decorations had been made from shells. We nearly exploded with all the incredible food, which included a freshly caught red snapper and a fruit cake big enough for 50 people!! Also that day they took us around to the Gayana resort to show us around the eco centre and there they let us plant some coral and feed sharks and turtles! The fish restaurant there is fantastic and well worth a trip.
When we left all the staff came to wave us off and it truly felt like we were saying goodbye to friends. They even blared out Brian Adams as we sped off into the distance! The manager, whose day off it was, even came to say goodbye at the harbour!!
We cannot reccommend this place enough, I've barely scratched the surface of all the lovely things they did for us that week. It's more than a hotel, it's a very special experience and worth every single one of those 14hours on the plane, plus taxi's and speed boats!! Everyone needs some Bunga Raya in their life.
Above and beyond the call of any hotel -we also like true dopes left our camera, with over a thousand holiday pics on, in a taxi! Bunga Raya staff, somehow managed to locate the taxi driver, retrieve our camera and post it to us in England, long after we left. Needless to say we are eternally grateful to them for not only our stay there, but for our memories on photo too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As sensual and exotic as the hibiscus flower that bears its name, Bunga Raya Island Resort is a luxurious jewel set on a coral reef island just off the coast of Borneo. A secluded island hideaway of 47 timbered villas, the resort is framed by white sand beach and virgin jungle. Hillside villas reflect the simplicity of the Borneo architectural style. A hilltop spa blends the finest Traditional Asian and Western treatments using restorative powers of indigenous plants and oils. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Preferred Hotels, Booking.com, Priceline, MrandMrsSmith, Expedia, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bunga Raya Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bunga Raya Island Resort And Spa
- Bunga Raya Island Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Bunga Raya Island Resort & Spa Malaysia/Pulau Gaya