First off, let me say that this is certainly a beautiful hotel, with great staff who are always friendly and professional. The island setting, the beach and the way the hotel is planned to blend into the environment works very well to make this an idyllic place.
Unfortunately, there were some hiccups from the booking which did not start us off well; we had originally booked a two bedroom villa as a party of two adults and three children as it was a family holiday. Subsequently we had an additional adult join the party, and we asked for an additional bed to be added. At first, we were told that there was insufficient space to add more than one roll away bed; however, when we said that it was fine, we only needed one extra bed as the kids were used to sleeping on one bed anyway, we were then told that resort policy did not allow more than 5 people in the room. As a result, we had to make a last minute booking (literally the evening before we flew in) for an additional room. When we arrived at the resort and saw the two bedroom villas, we realised the room had more than sufficient space for 3 adults and 3 children, which was very dissappointing, considering how much the 2 bedroom villa already cost, which was honestly exorbitant, relative to other resorts in this part of the world. They were however able to arrange for the extra room to be right next to the two bedroom villa, which helped, but it would have been more of a family holiday to have had everyone in the same villa.
Other than that one incident, the rest of the holiday passed well, and the kids enjoyed themselves doing the nature walk, the snorkelling and the visit to the Marine Ecology Research Centre. The staff were very friendly and knowledgable, and were always happy to oblige the kids requests to have a front row seat in the buggies.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As sensual and exotic as the hibiscus flower that bears its name, Bunga Raya Island Resort is a luxurious jewel set on a coral reef island just off the coast of Borneo. A secluded island hideaway of 47 timbered villas, the resort is framed by white sand beach and virgin jungle. Hillside villas reflect the simplicity of the Borneo architectural style. A hilltop spa blends the finest Traditional Asian and Western treatments using restorative powers of indigenous plants and oils. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bunga Raya Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bunga Raya Island Resort And Spa
- Bunga Raya Island Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Bunga Raya Island Resort & Spa Malaysia/Pulau Gaya