We have just stayed there for 2 nights. The best part was being upgraded to the Royal Villa. That aside, the positives are it's a beautiful place and staff are exceedingly courteous. Unfortunately, that's it for the positives. The food is frightfully expensive - local dishes cost 10x what they would have cost on the mainland. One would have thought at that price, the quality and quantity of ingredients would be vastly superior but portions were small (like at roadside hawkers) and quality was mediocre. The staff, while very polite, were totally ineffectual. The restaurant staff just milled around aimlessly and everything (from ordering, to arrival of food and billing) took 3 times as long as it should have. The villa's cleanliness was a bit disappointing (on the last day, we even found a dead cockroach in one of our bags) and a number of things did not work eg. a toilet bowl was stuck, one shower handle was falling off, one shower head toggle was erratic. One of my children became sick from the food and threw up (I think it was the cheese in the pizza and omelette...). Right from the start, we repeatedly asked the staff about late checkout as we had a late flight but no one got back to us. Only on the last day, when we approached reception did we finally get a response. During our checkout, the buggy did not come at the appointed time and even when we called again, it was late, and in the end, we had to carry our own suitcases to the jetty. The ferry boat timings were all over the place and certainly did not tally with the timings on the ferry cards that they kept giving out. And while the main beach was ok, the private beach of the Royal Villa was filthy with rubbish. This place has the potential to be a 5-star resort but the software is absolutely the pits. It's staffed by village boys/girls who, except for a couple of senior people, do not seem to understand any of the fundamental concepts of running a fine establishment. We will never go back. Once is enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As sensual and exotic as the hibiscus flower that bears its name, Bunga Raya Island Resort is a luxurious jewel set on a coral reef island just off the coast of Borneo. A secluded island hideaway of 47 timbered villas, the resort is framed by white sand beach and virgin jungle. Hillside villas reflect the simplicity of the Borneo architectural style. A hilltop spa blends the finest Traditional Asian and Western treatments using restorative powers of indigenous plants and oils. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cancelon, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bunga Raya Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bunga Raya Island Resort And Spa
- Bunga Raya Island Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Bunga Raya Island Resort & Spa Malaysia/Pulau Gaya