We recently stayed for a week at Bunga Raya and we were delighted with it.
The resort is set in its own bay surrounded by jungle. The sea is calm and warm and teeming with fish ( at least when we were there) the sand is really soft, like flour, and is cleaned at least once a day by he hotel.
There are two restaurants and the food is excellent in both. (We struggled to understand previous reports on TA of poor quality). You can pretty much have whatever you want for breakfast and the setting is lovely, either looking at the sea or the Koi pond. Happy hour is 5 to 7 where first drink is free and the second half price. A nice touch.
The accommodation is spectacular. We were lucky to be able to stay in one of the two tree-houses. Amazing! Big bedroom with everything you could want. Nice bathroom. Balcony with plunge pool and even a pavillion. All totally private. We looked at one of the beach cottages and this looked really nice too, also with a plunge pool, though you can walk directly onto the beach.
This resort is on he edge of pristine primary jungle and this should be considered if you are uncomfortable with being close to nature. The resort is in a national park and, therefore, they are not allowed to use pesticides - we were bitten by sandflies (we are told as we never saw the little blighters). Nothing was dangerous or scary though. I didn't even see one spider, thankfully! The hotel arranges jungle treks with a guide and they have an extremely high canopy walk inside the jungle close to the resort. Our guide was Chris who was knowledgable about everything in the jungle but also told us all about the many different hibiscus plants grown there, (Bunga Raya means Hibiscus in Malay and is their national flower). All this for free.
There is a free shuttle boat to sister hotel Gayana. Only takes about 15 mins. Guayana is nice but we just wanted to return to our paradise, Bunga Raya.
Beautiful surroundings, luxury accommodation and a totally facinating place. But .... It was the staff who really added to our wonderful stay. I am not sure if its their motto but I frequently heard " If you are happy then we are happy" ALL the staff were really lovely. Considerate, caring and friendly. They come across as a big happy family. We were sorry to have to leave.
I really do hope that I can return one day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As sensual and exotic as the hibiscus flower that bears its name, Bunga Raya Island Resort is a luxurious jewel set on a coral reef island just off the coast of Borneo. A secluded island hideaway of 47 timbered villas, the resort is framed by white sand beach and virgin jungle. Hillside villas reflect the simplicity of the Borneo architectural style. A hilltop spa blends the finest Traditional Asian and Western treatments using restorative powers of indigenous plants and oils. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bunga Raya Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bunga Raya Island Resort And Spa
- Bunga Raya Island Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Bunga Raya Island Resort & Spa Malaysia/Pulau Gaya