“A pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Blackbird Artisan Bakery
Ranked #1 of 2 Bakeries in East Maitland
Cuisines: Cafe, Contemporary, Australian
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Blackbird Artisan Bakery, The Worlds First Artisan Bakery in a Gaol Experience a world where Historic landmark Maitland Gaol intertwines with World Class Modern Australian Cuisine where you can truly let your taste buds soar Renown for our World Class Sourdough and small handmade bakery goods, Blackbird Artisan Bakery produces the finest sweet and savoury treats that will truly 'make your belly smile' in true Artisan style! Everything made from scratch using high quality ingredients - whole eggs, real butter, high quality single origin flour, Australian Almond meal, Australian Hazelnut Meal and Belgium Chocolate Our seasonal menu offers a breakfast selection, lunch boards, crisp salads, lunch boards, pastries and speciality treats you won't find anywhere else alongside the best in local entertainment ranging from Music to Theatre and even Foodie Evenings such as Wine connoisseur Debates and Cheese Tastings Join our Loyalty Club 'The Aviary' and enjoy 10% off any time you dine, VIP members only events and the chance to win dining credit each month, plus many more exciting benefits only our members know about
Sydney, Australia
“A pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Came upon the Blackbird Cafe purely by accident by taking a wrong turn in Maitland on a trip from Sydney and am I glad I did! What a fabulous find! Interesting setting, pleasant ambience but most of all the best & freshest food I have ever had in the Hunter Region.
The housemade chicken / quail terrine served on a board with salad, sour dough bread has won me over for a return visit asap.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BlackbirdArtisan, Management at Blackbird Artisan Bakery, responded to this review, March 16, 2016
Hello

Thank you very much for the positive comments. We work hard to offer good food and friendly, efficient service, and I’m so glad your visit was enjoyable. I will pass your feedback on to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Aberglasslyn, New South Wales, Australia
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

We visited the blackbird cafe for Mother's Day and were very disappointed. They were clearly unprepared for the occasion. The menus were printed out on a dirty, old piece of paper, staff were unwilling to make adjustments to accommodate customers and the unclean tables and chairs were just the beginning. We waited 40 mins for coffee and juice, breakfast was warm at best and hardly worth the money we paid. We would not recommend this place to anyone who wants a decent meal and good service.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Nicole O
Newcastle
“A Secret Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Came here, mainly out of curiosity and I have to say I was really pleased.
When I ordered I spoke to the chef who explained what was in the pastries (I'm a fussy eater). All fresh ingredients and they tasted divine!

So if you are in the area, pop in. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
Hello

Hunter Valley
“Something different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I really enjoyed the different menu that Blackbird offers compared to other local cafe's. The produce was fresh and clean and locally sourced where possible. The presentation was remarkable. We had two brunch dishes of bacon & eggs and smoked trout & eggs. Both came with generous sides of roasted tomatoes, fresh rocket, mushrooms and of course, handmade bread. Coffees were good but a little mild for me. Service was good, though somewhat relaxed. Some minor adjustments here would be a benefit. Others have remarked on the decor - I simply interpreted it as uncluttered and simple.
The cafe also has a range of handmade specialty products such as caramel used sherry vinegar. Overall, a lovely change from the boring standard fare at many other local cafe's. I will be back!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank woolygirl1
Sydney, Australia
“Fresh food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The Blackbird Cafe is quickly becoming one of my favourite eateries.
Fresh food, top quality ingredients, amazing cheese, home-baked bread and good coffee. Really worth a visit.
Service is a bit slow, but this cafe is not a fast food outlet, so I am fine with this.
The staff is friendly though the young ones are still learning the job.
Still, you don't often find a cafe with partridge on the menu!

Last but not least the mains on the menu are reasonably priced, given the quality of the food, this is really good value for money.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello Pete

Pete, if you have not already, consider joining our Loyalty Club 'The Aviary' it's free to join and you will save 10% off your future meal's and beverage's next time you dine with us, it would be our pleasure to serve you again and let your taste buds soar!