“Best Chinese in Maitland”
Review of Place One chinese

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Place One chinese
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Maitland, Australia
“Best Chinese in Maitland”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Service is good. Scallops are the best.. Food is fresh tasty and always hot. They are willing to do anything to please. Great place to eat. Hilda you are just lovely

Visited August 2014

Melbourne, Australia
“Very good food and fast service”
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

We have never been before but it is OBVIOUSLY popular with the locals as there were HEAPS of takeaway meals collected while we dined in.

Food and service was excellent! Highly recommend!

Maitland, Australia
“Allergies? Anaphylaxis? Place one don't care, DONT GO HERE!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I work 2 jobs, have 4 kids and one more on the way - we are a single income family at the moment. I thought it would be nice to treat my wife and family to some Chinese takeaway, something we never really get due to costs, time etc. We are fairly new to the area, and so I did some research on some good chinese restaurants in the Maitland area with place one seeming to have some good reviews. I made a point to order at the counter so I could make it incredibly clear about my wife's allergies - she is allergic to peanuts. I selected 3 mains from the take away menu, with the Australian speaking staff stating that these selections were safe. These were:
1) honey king prawns
2) sweet and sour pork
3) combination noodle
We also got a combination entree (prawn toast, spring roles, samosas and prawn cutlet, with a ham and veg fried rice).

After paying $70 for this, we arrived home to eat the meal after me finishing my first job in Newcastle, and about to start my overnight shift at 11:00pm - we were looking to it. We'll, as soon as my wife started to eat her sweet and sour pork with rice, she started to have an allergic reaction in which her tongue and lips started to swell up and she started to get sick - did I mention she is pregnant! I got her checked out through gp access, and when I knew she was ok left for my shift. I then arrived home at around 730Am sat morning, and was looking forward to spending a day with my family - it had been a while since I had had the chance to do so. I assumed it would be ok to call place one concerning the above at around dinner/service time, as I did not know if they were open during the day (new to the area...). When I spoke to the manager/owner - she did not believe me! She refused to acknowledge any fault/apologise etc - not even offer a replacement meal, let alone a refund! It was like talking to a foreign customer service person from Telstra, it just went around in circles just defending her staff, cooking processes etc. I politely told this lady that I just wanted a refund, as this had ruined our night - I may as we'll have tried pulling teeth from a wild animal! She said, "yeah, come in at 8 - we more quiet then", and the. Hung up on me!!! I thought to myself, "we'll, that was crap customer service, I'll go get my refund and never go back again...". But that wasn't the end, I got a call back from a Daniel, stating that he was calling on behalf of the manager and basically insinuated that I was lying, and that my wife was "overreacting", unbelievable! I went to pick my refund up at 8pm as arranged, I took the leftover food that wasn't eaten as a statement. The money was refunded onto my card, Daniel hid in the back while the female waitstaff covered for him - but I guess anyone can be insulting over the phone... If you value your health, and your hard earned money - DONT DINE HERE! I have no allergies, and the food was terrible anyway... If you are after Chinese, I strongly suggest Paul's Asian Affair in Lambton - they have no issues with allergies and the food is actually tasty and FRESH, and WAY better value...

• Visited April 2014
16 Thank DanandCourt
Newcastle, Australia
“Good Chinese!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I went to Place One chinese on a Friday evening with my partner, it was fairly busy but not packed. The atmosphere is great in there, very relaxed and friendly.
We ordered dim sum to start which were really tasty. For main we ordered Chicken satay which was amazing and stir fried king prawns with ginger and shallots - the prawns were beautiful.
The mains are a little pricey but huge portions - we managed to polish everything off but were stuffed! Very generous servings and its nice to see lots of prawns in the dish....not just a handful thrown in and bulked up with veggies! The prices are justified, great quality food, good portions.
I would highly recommend this place to anyone.
My only criticism was that I ordered a red wine and it was icy cold! But I can get over that!!
Fantastic restaurant, the meal was worth every cent.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Bennaforever
Newcastle, Australia
“Good Chinese restaurant but a little expensive.”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Good food.
Service was a little slow but friendly. My partners entree was delivered after I had completed mine.
Mains were large serves but so they should be for the price.
Prices run at around $20 a main which is getting up there for Chinese. Servings could be a little smaller and reduce the price.

Overall a good Chinese restaurant.

• Visited April 2013