“Overall good”
Review of Isla Hayahay

Isla Hayahay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Calape
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Im going to give positive and negative comments about our stay at isla...but please bare in mind overall i found it a beautiful and friendly place with great staff and lots of adive/help from ALL staff (including the owner)

positive

VERY friendly staff
Accommodation was cheap
staff were very accpeting (lol i got so drunk the first night i was there)
rooms were cleaned daily
food was well made and a good variety
activites were reasonably priced (mostly)
atmosphere was relaxing for those not into the whole party scene

negative

sorry to say but the motobike rental was nearly double what i paid at top camiguin resort and it was in VERY poor condition (speedo didnt work, tires were pretty flat, didnt idol properly and came with only enough fuel to get to the nearest gas station and ofcourse brakes were terrible)

airconditioners are in a bad spot being directly over the bed (not too big a deal...just saying

during brownouts we waited for over an hour for the backup generator to be turned on

wifi dosnt quite reach the rooms (which was stated but wifi extenders are even cheap here in australia)

overall we really enjoyed our stay...ill end this review with a little story of what happened with us...me and the gf went with another couple on the "island hopping" tour and during our lunch part one of the other group got sick and we had to return to the hotel...i was very disappointed and was ready to ask for some of the money back when the owner came upto me and appologised for what happened and had his staff take us out to snorkel amongst the giant clams which was an amazing experience.....

If your looking for a RELAXING hotel and not partying this is the place for you

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jeff M

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at this piece of paradise from 14- 19 Jan 2013. We were a party of 6 including our children ages 13 and 6. We decided on the 3 day package C with 2 day extra for extra R & R which turned out to be a great decision because we had the extra day to postpone our island hopping day to a much sunnier day. I love the transparency of Paul, the booking process etc. We knew what was due to be paid as there were no hidden costs. For example, we knew that extra 6% was extra if you choose not to pay cash.
To succinctly describe in a paragraph the absolute fabulous time we had at Isla Hayahay would be an injustice to owners Paul & Ara and their fantastic staff. All the positive reviews you read about this paradise were exactly what we got plus so much more. We felt that the service and treatment we received from staff was tailored to our needs from day 1. We were welcomed like we were part of a family. We felt instant connection with Maricel. We love her. In fact all the staff members are so helpful and nice it’s hard to have a favourite. They couldn’t do enough for you. My husband and I loved the fact that there was a security guard on duty each night so we felt protected and safe.
The rooms are just the right size, not cramped at all; it’s clean and maintained every day. The bathroom massive!! Everything for your comfort is provided in each room.
Of all the touring we enjoyed most our island hopping day, although the boat trip was choppy, my children enjoyed it and it was worth the long ride. At all times, we were in safe hands of Jason (the master boatman) and his brother & Bernadette (??) Made sure we were fed till our hearts content. We had the island to ourselves where we had a great lunch and swam and snorkelled some more! We had the resort to ourselves in our last 2 days of our stay and it was fantastic. We made use of the kayaks, we swam, and snorkelled and my children had such great fun exploring the sea.
Paul and Ara such a delight to converse with. Full of knowledge and great source of information. Both he and Ara couldn’t do enough to ensure that our holiday was exactly how we wanted.
Paul I must say knows more about my dear dear motherland than me. Such a honey bear! Conversing with him made me miss the Philippines more, having been away for so long. I think my sister and I chatted and drank beer (ok mainly us drinking) with Paul and talked politics, religion and exchange views about life in general for over 2 hours!! He respects the Philippines and therefore I respect him. We enjoyed the conversations we had with staff and seeing things from their point of view. We appreciate them more as we got to know them.
The food so delectable and so abundant in serving, you are never hungry. Totally felt guilty each time we ate and so much left over. The food oh so so delicious. My children’s favourite, the fish sinigang and the yummy crunchy calamares. Tried to bribe Manang in telling me her secret recipe during our massage session but I’m sure my cooking won’t compare. My children both loved everything we ate and they are fussy eaters. Our driver Abner was very good and took care of us during our field trips. One scary moment when I left my back pack in Baklayon church and Abner was quick to on the phone, phoning the previous place we were in to see if I left it there. Crisis averted when I found it in one of the church pews!
We thank you Paul, Ara and your wonderful second to none beautiful staff! Thank you for looking after us and making this holiday a very memorable one. You will remain in our hearts forever. Would be stay at Isla Hayahay again?? You bet!!!
from the Fish family

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Maine F
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Definitely, the hotel is not top luxourious hotel, but for price you pay you get top hospitality, perfect meals and nice service.
We had 3N/4D package with activities and set meals. I think, all were absolute satisfactory. After my booking Pal express changed 2 times flight arrival time - I changed 2 times date and pick-up time - no problem for hotel staff. Communication via internet with owner was prompt and accurate.
The top points of our stay were quality of meals, dinners on terrace with sea view and calm peacefull atmosphere of this remote resort.
The trips from package were good organized /Bohol and island hopping tour/, driver and banca staffs were nice and informative.
I made booking via internet with owner, advance payment I paid via PayPal- no problem and all informations I got from hotel were realy accurate.

Room Tip: All rooms are more or less the same.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mispi
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place is a little out of the way, so I would recommend to coordinate to have them pick you up either from the airport or the port. The food was incredible. The staff was amazing. It's no luxury resort, because it's on a semi-remote island, but it has everything you need. The only thing it lacked was a proper bar menu. They had beer and shots, but no cocktails. We got around that by buying a bottle of rum from the bar and then ordering juice and mixing it ourselves. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice to have a little variety. I would also highly recommend their packages. They include some sightseeing, food, and transport, along with accommodation. Very reasonably priced and very convenient.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank lissie_220
Reviewed March 30, 2013

If you’ve done your research you’ll realise that Isla Hayahay is not a comparable alternative for the type of holiday you will get at Boracay. As here there are no nightclubs, no hotels, no restaurants, no loud music, no sandy beach, no touts etc, and thank goodness for that.

Isla Hayahay is located midway between the towns of Tubigon and Calape on the south west coast of Bohol and a 15 minute drive along an interconnecting island causeway. Sure it’s in a reasonably remote location but you are not isolated.

My initial apprehension on approaching Isla Hayahay along the rough causeway for the first time was quickly dispelled within a few minutes of arrival. Comfortable rooms, huge bathrooms, spacious restaurant deck under large shady trees and views to nearby islands.

Owners, Paul and Ara are really welcoming hosts and guest satisfaction is clearly high on their priorities. We enjoyed regular chats with them and utilised a few of their tours at very reasonable prices.

Ara also oversees a very good kitchen which produces outstanding meals. Complimentary 24 hour tea and coffee or drinking water was a nice touch. Wi-Fi also available.

Beautiful reefs and giant clam gardens only a few hundred metres offshore, but don’t expect a sandy beach out the front. You’ll have to walk about 15 minutes to find powder white beaches.

What really makes a difference at Isla Hayahaya is the gorgeous G-G. She is a real character, hard working with an amazing smile, eager to make guests comfortable and supervises a great team of staff.

Highly recommended.
Chris

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank biffdog
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I live in Manila and we were looking for somewhere to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. We came across Isla Hayahay through the sheer number of great reviews they have received here and I can say we were not disappointed. Paul and Ara have put together a wonderful team of staff, so attentive, friendly and happy to help. Our flight was slightly delayed and when we arrived to torrential rain at Tagbilaran airport Ara and a staff member were waiting to take us on the hour or so drive to the resort. The rain abated and the sun was shining by the time we arrived, we had booked an all inclusive package and the check in process was very straightforward and they even had Lunch ready for us which was much needed after a long journey. The food at the resort as mentioned in other reviews is awesome with a special mention for the Fish Curry which my wife has been craving for ever since we left. We went on the Island Tour and the Island Hopping trips and both are recommended if you want to take all the stress out of planning a day out.

Overall we would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone looking to get away from it all in a relaxed atmosphere. One final mention of the ultra friendly staff who made our stay so comfortable. As my wife told Paul and Ara at the airport when they dropped us off, we will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AGoody
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The place itself is great, very well maintained, the rooms are spotless, and cosy, and the bathrooms are very spacious and well equipped. The staff is also great, they are friendly and will do their best to help you. For me there was only two downsides: they have a "bar" but nobody knows how to make cocktails so you end up in the middle of nowhere spending an afternoon in front of the ocean with no cocktails; the other downside is the location (but this really depends on your preferences) since it is a remote location you kinda have no choice but to eat there most of the time (which is not too big of a deal because the food is also good) and you have limited options to book your tours or boats. Yes the tours are a bit overpriced but they are very honest about it and can even contact you with cheaper options if you wish to do so. However, as some other people have said, their island hoping tour is absolutely amazing they pack everything for you and the guys are very flexible on what you want to do and when. There is no beach (as in a piece of sand) but they have access to the ocean which is more like an amazing pool so I don't think this is a downside at all. If you decide to go make sure to get to Tubigon port instead of Talgibaran.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank SueHelen6
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calape
Ocean Suites Boutique Hotel Bohol
Ocean Suites Boutique Hotel Boho...
#1 of 12 in Tagbilaran City
Amun Ini Beach Resort & Spa
Darunday Manor
Darunday Manor
#6 of 12 in Tagbilaran City

Been to Isla Hayahay? Share your experiences!