“find somewhere else to stay”
Review of Datchet Mead Hotel

Datchet Mead Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Datchet
Datchet Mead Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Datchet
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“find somewhere else to stay”
Reviewed February 1, 2008

I have made a long report to take into account all the facts.
I had to book at quite short notice and unfortunately this was the only hotel I could find near the meeting I was attending. I stay in hotels for over 100 nights a year and as such am well aware that most hotel websites lie about the facilities that are offered and so take what is shown with a pinch of salt and a gut feeling. I was apprehensive about this hotel especially having seen that there was only one review and it was to avoid it... now I know why!
On arrival the outside looked pretty grim and uncared for, and the full noise of the M4 roaring past about 250 yards away did not bode well for the sinking feeling that was growing. The hall was smelly. My partner went to the desk and absolutely no formalities were confirmed. The entrance hall is tired with a coloured glass bauble imitation fire in the grate, and the stair carpet is worn and threadbare We were shown upstairs to our room (room3) the room had recently been painted to a very poor standard, however it was clean, dry and didn’t smell! The en-suite shower room is tiny and if I had been a size larger I doubt that I would have been able to get into the corner shower. I am a size 18. (We ran out of hot water on the first morning, which I did not report at the time).
I had a quick look at the bar area which has just been redecorated and was a cold tiled floor with café style tables and chairs and about as welcoming as an igloo. I guess its easy to wash over with a mop though. So we avoided that and went into the dining room for dinner. This is reasonably well decorated with unimaginative contemporary furniture tightly fitted into the room. There was only one other person in the dining room at the time, it still took over 25 mins for our meal to arrive. The food was very good. (The management claims that he was full that night) as the bar only had 1 guest in it and at breakfast the following morning there were only a couple of people were in the dining room (peak-time 8-8.30) – I suppose they must have all been eating elsewhere. Breakfast took 20 mins but was again good. The staff members serving in the dining room at all times were pleasant and helpful. (thank goodness).
We stayed a second night because to be frank, we were too tired after our business day to seek out anywhere else.
Dinner the second night… I asked for a Ceasar Salad with chicken as a main course. Ceasar Salad is a dish with crisp torn lettuce, dressed with an anchovy dressing, parmesan cheese and crisp croutons, and a little chicken. What arrived was soggy chopped lettuce with tomato, fat filled croutons and a lump of chicken sliced on top, no sign of any parmesan or anchovy dressing. I started to say this to the waitress who said I would probably find the cheese under the lettuce! It wasn’t there. She brought me some parmesan on a saucer.

I was woken up during the night by the night porter ringing the phone at 1.30am. I was not impressed.

Breakfast on day 2 was good but again slow…. 20 mins. There were more guests in the dining room.
On departure.. the manager wandered to the reception with a phone clamped to his ear and asked what I wanted… I asked for the bill and was presented with a lump sum amount. I asked for a breakdown and the manager was very irritated that I asked to see the breakdown in front of other guests and left it to a colleague to try and decipher the shambled list – even she had a problem. There was a 10% service charge added to the first nights dinner bill. This in my view is discretion for the client to make – not the hotel! I refused to pay it. The colleague and I settled on a figure and we completed our transaction. On return home in the evening I was greeted with an email from the manager saying that he had ‘waived’ the service charge – however due to a miscalculation he had charged my credit card with £4.05 which was outstanding. (poor addition) and that he had run a successful business for 23 years on that site. He did however give a list of the charges which were correct.

I responded by thanking him for his note and reiterated that it would have been more helpful if he had done this at the time rather than be openly annoyed that I was questioning this in front of another guest. I had no objection to paying for anything that was outstanding, but was not prepared to pay extra for a service charge when I was already paying £90 for little more than a 2* hotel. I also asked if it had been so successful why there was only one dreadful review on TA

He replied sarcastically that he was full all week – and that he was sorry but we weren’t a priority … we could put our views wherever I like and to concentrate on living our lives and them to run theirs and thank God we wouldn’t be gracing them with our royal presence again! I certainly agree with that comment! So why was a resident not a priority at dinner? I thought that this was the essence of running a hotel. I certainly won’t forget my stay!

Final points.
On their website it states that customer care and service are the priorities of the current owners who have been there for almost twenty years, establishing an excellent reputation in this period. Furthermore the staff at the Datchet Mead would make our stay one to be relished and recalled with fondness

It also says that the bedrooms have all been, recently, refurbished to a high standard, this in my view be a question of debate; hurriedly painted is a more accurate description

• Liked — free wifi
  • Disliked — the arrogant management
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tradergirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London
Reviewed September 30, 2007

My friend and i booked this hotel as we were attending an anniversary party in the area. On arrival, the place looked pretty ghastly from the outside and as we walked in the front door there was a really strong smell of cooking - not a very nice one! The man behind the desk spent about ten minutes looking for our booking and didnt find it but gave us a twin room anyway. What can i say... walking up the stairs, the paint was peeling off the walls, the carpet filthy, the walls covered in stains and it reminded me of £10 hostels i stayed in in Amsterdam as a teenager. When we entered the room (16) it STANK of paint and the window was wide open so it was freezing. We were almost going to walk out but the Manor in Datchet was £100 a night which we couldnt really afford and we were late so we just decided to grin and bear it. I then had to shave my legs in the SINK with COLD water as could get no hot water out of the shower. The room was clean but just smelt terrible and the furniture was tatty. Electrics hung out the wall and the tv had the worst reception i have ever seen. If i had come with my partner i would have been furious but we didnt want stress so just went off to the party. Though we checked the sheets first! When checking out i voiced my dismay and they were incredibly uppity and defensive so i assume we werent the first people to complain. They gave me £10 off (the rooms are £65 a night) which i thougt was pretty shabby but they just insisted we should have complained at check in (fair enough but we were in a rush) and seemed completely uninterested. We passed a B&B a few doors up called Lowlands which looked so pretty - i would reccommend that over this any day! Really poor

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — stench of paint
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
lfcjaz, Manager at Datchet Mead Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2007
If these guests had any issues with the accomodation offered they should have complained staright away so that an alternative room could have been offered. There is no point in waiting until check-out to raise any issues as it is, then, too late to rectify the situation.
The hotel has been refurbished recently and all bedrooms, bathrooms and public areas have been re-decrated and furnished to a 3 star standard.Air-conditioning is presently being installed in all bedrooms.
The car-park, exterior of the hotel and outside lighting is being upgraded at present. We anticipate all works to be completed in the next four weeks.

Travelers are raving about these Datchet hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Datchet
Holiday Inn Express Windsor
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Holiday Inn Slough - Windsor
Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Heathrow/Windsor Marriott Hotel

Been to Datchet Mead Hotel? Share your experiences!