“Awful from start to finish...a very disappointing and hungry stay!!”
Review of The Manor Hotel

The Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Datchet
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Thoroughly disappointing stay for my birthday. 2 rooms rejected before making do with the 3rd! Poor, tired, cold bedrooms. Awfully shabby and battered furniture. Afternoon tea simply awful, stale non descript sandwiches, stale hard cake. Breakfast cold, tinned mushrooms need i say more!
I cannot express strongly enough our disappointment with this no star establishment! even the staff are useless

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!!!
1  Thank Loubyloo

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I really wish we had read these reviews before booking The Manor Hotel Datchet. We arrived at 9pm and waited at reception whilst the receptionist finished their cigarette at the entrance. When walking to our room we had to step over piles of laundary and cleaning equipment left out. We booked an executive room, which is meant to be the biggest double bedroom.. God knows what size the standard doubles are as this was tiny. The TV was hanging off the wall, the shower was cold and broken, bed was hard and small. There was also a party in the function room which was on till 1.30am, therefore we could not sleep due to the banging music. If we had of been informed when booking the room it would have been understandable however no one mentioned a thing. Lastly we parked our car in the secure car park at the Koala House, when we came back to it the following morning someone had key'd the whole passenger side. The car park has a sign on the wall stating there is CCTV however when asking the receptionist it only points on the house and not their customers cars.
I would strongly advise people to read the reviews before booking this hotel, it is a very poor four star hotel.

Room Tip: Book a standard double and not executive as they are the same.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

When we arrived the young man on reception was very helpful. Our room was ok, a bit tired looking, but it was so cold, the rads were not on and there was no heating in the bathroom. The blind in the bathroom was broken and horror of horror there were hairs in the bath plughole! The lampshades in the bedroom were both cracked. We asked when the heating would be on and were told 5.30pm as it is on a timer the room did heat up once the heating came on (but not the bathroom) - also when we awoke in the morning, both at 6am and again at 8am the heating wasn't on then either!

We found the afternoon tea very disappointing. My husband is gluten intolerant, I had sent 2 emails regarding this to the hotel web site in the week leading up to our visit, neither of which was responded to. I made a telephone call the evening before our visit and was told that they no longer do gluten free afternoon tea but would be able to supply a salad or something. On arrival I mentioned this to our helpful waitress who had to go and ask her manager. He came back and asked who had said we could have a salad and I explained, he then agreed to do a parmesan salad. When this arrived it was just lettuce, tomato and onion, NO carbs or protein (unfortunately my husband is also diabetic, although we didn't mention this) so not really comparable to the filling nature of afternoon tea. I believe my scone had been microwaved as initially was a bit soft, (squidgy) and by the time I came to eat the 2nd half it was hard. Individual pots of tea would also be a nicer option to the thermos type jug the waitress had to keep bringing around to top up the cups. (We went to the local Costa in search of something for my husband to eat and luckily they had some gluten free cake which kept him going until dinner!)

We had booked the evening meal deal. I ordered the rib eye steak, think the menu price was £15 ish, asked for it to be cooked medium rare. When this arrived it was fairly small and nearer well done and the waitress took it away and a new plate was returned, this time it was definitely nearer rare than medium-rare! Couldn't be bothered to send it back again so ate it, it was small and barely warm, certainly was not worth paying the supplement for. My husband did however enjoy his pork meal and the chef kindly found some gluten free cake in the freezer for a desert.

Breakfast was so-so, although I was surprised to see that one of the individual pots of jam had already been opened and partly used.

All in all we felt very disappointed because the potential of the hotel is immense - lovely old building and features - given the right care and attention it could be really lovely!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Its seems a shame to echo the words of other reviewers by mentioning the faults of this hotel, but despite the Manor's further discussions with tripadvisor reviewers the same problems arose for us on our stay this weekend.

The Manor Hotel Datchet has the right location; a good design on the outside, and though being on the Heathrow flightpath is hardly something that the management can be blamed for, overall the venue doesn't fit the bill as a four star hotel.

We stayed for a night after a day on the river. A one night stay in a four star hotel should earn an excellent review however...

Our check-in was a little slow and it wasn't made very clear to us where our rooms were. As we later found out the hotel has expanded into a separate building across the level crossing, so not totally sure where we were going, our party made their way to 'Koala House' and our rooms.

Prices let the hotel down: Three stayed in a suite at £85 a night, one in a small double at £70 a night and two in a standard double room at £85 a night.
The standard double room was the same size as the small double and not worth the same price a the larger suite. The only difference was that the small double room didn't have a bath! So Its difficult to work out how the hotel come up with their room rates.

There wasn't a plug near the tea making facilities so the kettle had to be balanced on the bedside table, a very bright blue light in the cupboard would be better suited to the TARDIS. As it happened the toilet in this standard double room didn't flush, so two people had to be relocated to another room. This change was dealt with quickly, which was very good, but it took a long time to get hold of anyone at the front desk.

The rooms were a let down. In the new standard room (this time much larger than the other so called standard room) the toilet flushed, but the bath plug had evidently been broken and although a replacement was put in the bathroom it didn't fit the bath! All the rooms were very hot, not helped by fridges being boxed in cupboards and pumping out large amounts of heat. The A/C helped but made the room uncomfortable. The hasty and rather crude finish in the bathrooms and a couple of stains on the bed gave the whole room a rather shabby and unkempt appearance, not something one would expect in a four star hotel.

Breakfast was a further disappointment. Breakfast is advertised as being served between the hours of 0830 and 1100, we arrived just before 10, but seemed to take the staff by surprise; tables had to be moved so our party of 6 could sit together, the old pew bench along one wall had to be adjusted so it didn't wobble. Once settled we found our own way to some tired looking fruit, one slice of cheese and a couple of bits of cut ham (the continental option). No staff showed us the way to go or came to replenish the breakfast choices. We ordered from the menu. Asked for coffee but were promptly served tea. The cooked breakfasts arrived and, again, nothing to write home about: soggy egg and no lemon with the salmon. One waitress seemed to be working on her thesis at a counter as she seemed to be writing lots down on bits of paper, but not once checked to see if we were alright nor if we wanted any sauces or more coffee. As the staff set up for lunch it felt a little that we were in the way, if this is the case why not close breakfast service at 10am?

Check out was a impersonal affair, no chit chat, just keys in and a half goodbye.

I'm sure this hotel works very well for corporate meetings and the like, but the lack-luster staff and rooms make for a rather uncomfortable and so overpriced hotel. Such a let down to an otherwise enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jonathan H
Reviewed October 17, 2013

After reading all the comments about the champagne tea at the Manor I was filled with dread as I took my favourite person there as a post operative surprise. Imagine my relief when we walked into a lovely experience. The Manor restaurant was delightful..very nicely styled, light, welcoming with a gorgeous open fire blazing. It was quiet which actually was rather nice..we sat and had our sparkling wine in comfy chairs by the fire and the waitress was smiling and helpful.... We moved to the restaurant for tea and it was much better than I had expected..yes the sandwich selection was predictable for me after reading the reviews....no egg though but they were fresh and tasty..the scones were warm and very good and the cake again predictable , carrot cake and fruit cake...by this stage we were full but the carrot cake was gorgeous so that was demolished too..plenty of tea and topped up from a central pot delivered by the matre D. The only suggestion I would make is that it would have been nice to have had a selection of teas and our own tea pot..it felt a bit of a nuisance to keep asking him to come over....My friend asked for Earl Gray but no others were available. Not an unreasonable request I think for an expensive tea...that aside we had a lovely time...as a groupon it was really worth the money -paying full price..not sure I would have been as pleased but the place and the lovely village are delightful so overall I would recommend...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed for one night in October 2013. I booked at the last minute but staff were very helpful when I called up to book. The staff on reception as I checked in was not as good as those when I booked it. He was inpatient when I asked about car parking and was grumpy when I checked in. The room itself was small but clean and well presented. It was quiet, warm and very pleasant. It was good value for a hotel so close to the airport and I would happily stay there again. The only let down was the reception staff on arrival but the hotel itself was lovely.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Pros: Fabulous Full English breakfast
Quaint English establishment - our American clients loved it
Quiet room
Lovely staff - very polite

Cons: Very small room
Room and Bathroom have seen better days
Room was too hot

I have stayed here on 3 separate occasions, your stay will depend very much on what room you are given

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ChelseaBlue1966
Also consider these accommodations in or near Datchet
The Red Lion Hotel
De Vere Beaumont Estate
De Vere Beaumont Estate
#2 of 2 in Old Windsor
Innkeepers Lodge Old Windsor

Been to The Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!