“Disappointed afternoon tea”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Datchet
England
“Disappointed afternoon tea”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I booked afternoon tea to celebrate my birthday, as there was a large group of 12 and it being so close to christmas I wanted to pre-book somewhere and had to pay it all upfront.
Seemed to be some confusions with the booking and emails going back and forth.
We arrived and were in our own separate room away from the main eating area. Atmosphere lacking. 2round tables set up at either side of the room, they obviously hadn't thought we'd come out as a group for a reason! We pushed the tables together.
Given our champagne but 2 glasses missing so had to call them back (which wasn't easy as we were in a separate room).
Asked them if they could play some music through due to lack of atmos which didn't happen.
Requested highchairs for 2 children when booking and day before and it stated on booking form but we had to ask them and 15 mins later they arrived.
Afternoon tea I could have done better myself in 5 minutes flat. The 'sweet treats' was just carrot cake. The 'selection on finger sandwiches' were very basic and lacked any desire. Scones were nice.
Tea and coffee came in big canisters, no little tea pots and no service whatsoever. All the food and drink was just left on a table in the corner.
£180 I expected a little more-just a few changes and the experience would have been a lot better. Its not rocket science.
I don't recommend going here for afternoon tea and if that reflects on anything else in the hotel I wouldn't bother.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Aust_n_Dred

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Greek first
London
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Very disappointing stay. Room was very small for a double, smaller than a standard double. Had dinner in hotel were promised a free bottle of wine with a three course meal. Had two courses and could not stomach another course. Risotto was disgusting, egg was hard, should have been runny, risotto was tasteless, lots of it, but left majority. Did mention to the waiter that it was not good. Heard shouting from the kitchen but no apology and still charged for it. (I later complained and had the money for this course refunded.)

Asked Reception if we did in deed have a double room and they moved us. Why not upgrade people when they arrive. It makes good business sense, and would have saved them changing and cleaning two rooms!

Could be a goldmine but need to improve big time. Prime location, very little immediate competition and some great staff, undermined by the bad!

Room Tip: Unfortunately you need to complain to get a decent room!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Datchet hotels

Reading
Reviewed November 17, 2012

A friend and I booked afternoon tea at The Manor in Datchet via a Groupon special offer. The room in which the tea was held was Ok but if you looked closely the whole place was a little shabby around the edges, with wonkey tables and peeling wall coverings, the toilets being the most underwhelming and in urgent need of refurbishment.

The tea itself was again OK for what we paid for it, however if we had paid the standard list price of £19 I would have been asking for a refund!! We had three different types of sandwich, cheedar, soft cheese and cucumber, and tuna, these were alright but not exactly luxurious. Then there was fruit scones that were tasty and still warm, and carrot cake. Overall the food was average and not "posh" food that you might expect from an afternoon tea in a nice hotel such as this.

We didn't stay overnight at The Manor so can't comment on the rooms, but to be fair the decor in the Hotel areas looked a little more in keeping with the standards you would expect, however I probably wouldn't rush back to have food here based on today's experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Recently visited this hotel as a treat for my fiancé through a groupon deal. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who quickly checked us in and explained where our room was. We pre booked dinner in the restaurant when making the booking as well. Had a drink in the bar first and the lady behind the bar was brilliant, so funny and very good at her job.
At this point the manager came to tell us our table was ready if we were ready to eat. He showed us to our table, offered menus an drinks and made us feel so welcome. He personally made recommendations for my dietary requirements to try the risotto and the aubergine which were both delicious!
Overall, we had a lovely stay and were made to feel welcome by every member of staff with the manager even remembering us in the morning and in particular my dietary requirements. We would recommend to anyone and we will certainly be back in the future!

Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel and most the staff are nice. The manager is awful and rude. He offended me and my wife and he came across as a bully to the rest of the staff. He made our stay a very unpleasant one.
I would recommend this hotel unless this manager is on duty.

2 Thank Fusionator
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Booked this on a groupon. Very smal room and bathroom. But very clean. Our room was out the front on the main road but the noise was not a problem. We were booked in early without any fuss and were able to enjoy the rest of our day in Windsor which is a short train journey away.
Our overall stay here was JUST ok but I really dont think we will use this hotel again.
If youre thinking of eating here the food in the restaurant was spot on. Both our meals were excellant. The waitresses friendly and hard working. Though I think the head waiter/ manager was trained at the Basil Fawlty school of charm !

Reading,Berks, UK
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We recently went for the Groupon "tea for two" deal (so didn't stay overnight) which I guess they hope will entice you back again to pay the full price for something - it didn't work for me.

There was nothing particularly wrong and the hotel itself looks Ok and the staff were very attentive, but I did doubt that some of the French accents were real - it seemed to be a little bit pretentious and to my mind is advertsing beyond the reality.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Datchet
Travelodge Windsor Central Hotel
Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
The Red Lion Hotel
The Red Lion Hotel
#8 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa

Been to The Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!