“not great”

Dining options: Reservations
northern ireland
“not great”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The barman was rude. I had a panini, with crisps and side salad. The crisps were hot, and the salad was completely covered in dressing. My husband had fish and chips. The chips were greasy and not very nice. The fish was ok but had a lot of batter. Not a great meal out.

Visited August 2013

UK
“Just awful”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Ordered a straightforward bar meal in an otherwise empty restaurant. Took forty minutes to arrive - poor quality and high prices. Not sure how this place exists as a business as it's always empty. Probably just not used to serving customers.

• Visited July 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
“Disgusting Food”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have never been to such a terrible establishment , the whole place is unwelcoming , staff watching tv next to the bar, no coffee machines,coffee served in chipped tea pots. No welcoming staff
Food inedible, mozzarella cheese in the salad was like a piece of rubber, Beef cooked to texture of leather, chef unable to cook medium rare beef !!! Staff do try hard to please, where is the management /owners of this place?
I have also used their sister hotel I Red Lion in Henley it is in my option just as awful. I will never use this group of 2 again . MG Hotels .
Would not change my timing of booking as full, the restaurant had 5 tables occupied when I was in the restaurant.
I really have nothing good to say about this place which is a shame as the location is good.

• Visited July 2013
Ferndown, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, excellent value, excellent service”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I went on a Groupon deal and were pleasantly surprised by the good quality of food, our Butternut Squash soup was excellent and so was the roast lamb my husband had my roast pork. We shared an Eton Mess, which my husband mainly ate as for me too much cream, not enough meringue. Roast potatoes were a let down however red cabbage and mixture of courgettes/carrots/beans were excellent and cooked beautifully.
Service prompt and very friendly. Only downside were the flimsy paper napkins. We used to live in Datchet, and used to frequent The Manor Hotel Restaurant, as it was then, regularly and crisp linen was superior however so was the price.
We shall definitely go back.

• Visited June 2013
Amersham, United Kingdom
“Shocked and Stunned”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My lovely partner bought champagne afternoon tea for two for £19 on Groupon and it was stated that it should have been £38.
We arrived and there was no where to park so we had to park up the road in the public carpark.
When we entered the hotel a very polite receptionist showed us to the restaurant, we stood on a very sticky wooden floor for a few minutes but there was no staff about, we finally wandered round to the bar where we were told to sit by the window.
The table was very wobbly so I asked my partner to put a serviette under one of the legs to stop it but it wasn't the legs that were uneven but the table top itself was wobbly...
I asked if I could have juice instead of champagne which I was told was fine.
Two teapots were bought out and they were not clean and the spout was broken on mine.
Then the 'tea' arrived, I was shocked and stunned at what was put before me. The photo on groupon looked lush, this was not lush.
It consisted of, two soggy grated cheese and tomato finger sandwiches, two tuna fish finger sandwiches and two unidentifiable finger sandwiches. I asked what the unidentifiable sandwiches were and I was told it was egg, I said that they had forgotten to put the egg in as it looked like just butter and he said it was deffinately there (see picture). There were two small shop bought scones that had been warmed up and then one very small piece of carrot cake that was cut in half but one half had been squashed by what looked like a thumb dent and this was for the two of us.
I asked to speak to the manager and was told there was no managers on duty, the waiter then got the lady who deals with reservations, she was lovely and instantly recognised how awful it was, she arranged a refund through groupon and we left.
I am not sure who would pay £40 for this but not us, we then went to Oakley Court for tea and it was everything a tea should be.

• Visited March 2013