“Our room stank of cigarette smoke but don't let that stop you.”

The Atrium Apartments
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Mount Maunganui
Auckland, New Zealand
“Our room stank of cigarette smoke but don't let that stop you.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We needed a two bedroom for a 3 night stay in June. Did not want to stay in an overpriced motel with a trundle bed, nor have 2 primary school kids share our room.

We found this place after someone pointed out a live deal on one of those deal-of-the-day sites. Half-price for a 3 night stay! Only $299.00. Brilliant we thought.

1. Gent taking call told us to call back after 9.00am as he was in bed,
2. Called back and told to call back again as he was still in bed. Left our contact details.
3. No-one called back for hours.

Eventually we talked to a very nice lady who took our details but left us wondering if in fact we had a booking. So the next day I called and talked to the gentleman again. He told me that in fact we already had a booking, so we were all good to go.

4. Was told we would get an email booking confirmation. Didn't happen.
5. When I said that we'd be coming down on Friday. He said "Hopefully so will I" At which point I threw up a little in my mouth. That one comment instantly put me in fear as to what kind of place this was!

We arrived at check-in later than we said we would.(Auckland rush hour gridlock) and I must say the front desk lady was very helpful even after keeping her after-hours. Thanks for that.

Due to a booking mishap we were asked if we would like to move to a better room. Now no-one turns that down, so we agreed.

6. Upon walking in the room all you could smell was cigarette smoke. Please note that this is a non-smoking complex. It was overpowering and quite disgusting. We found an ashtray outside and that speaks for itself.

But we couldn't ask to change rooms as it was late, we were tired and we had to be up again at 6.00am. All we wanted was to sleep for a few hours. But even the pillow cases stunk of smoke.

The rooms were spacious enough. Compact you might say. The beds were acceptable. Didn't see any disgusting stains anywhere and everything in the room was clean enough. I've seen better and I've seen worse - even at a 5*.

We were going to ask to be moved, but being out all day with the windows wide open made it bearable. Not nice, but bearable.

While the weather was atrocious, we thought we'd benefit from the apartment's fantastic location and go for a walk to the beach and maybe have a spa.

7. The spa pool was cold/off, and the gym is a motley collection of broken down and rusty junk. You'd get better exercise chucking it in the skip.

Having Sky Movies on tap was good as it really rained cats and dogs that weekend.

TIP: Go up the road to the hot pools. Not many pools in the word have a view like that! Salty but pleasant. Oh, and the kebab shop is good too, but their fries are a rip-off.

Everything in the room worked. Take your own toilet paper. And I like the mini-dishwasher.

We got a late check-out which took the edge of our departure. I dislike those 10.00am departure places that won't let you check-in till 2.00pm. Told the front-desk about the smoke as wold told it was hard to monitor.

Would we as a family stay there again? Possibly - if the rooms were checked before being let, if the gym was ditched to save everyone from mentioning it, if the spa pool was HOT, and the creepy guy stopped being creepy. The location alone gives it some points.

The $299.00 deal meant it was a bargain. But to say they're luxury apartments is major stretch. Fancy or deluxe they're not. Unless you come from Gore in which case they could be.

Definitely a better stay that at lot of motels/motor lodges/some hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Martin S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Management don`t want to be there. Broken shower and electric blanket - nothing done. Reception staffed by girl who would not answer counter nor the phones- she just hid behind a screen and listened to her ipod. Office opened at 8am but I had to wait for Manager to get out of bed at 8.15 to check me out. If you expect service you will have to stay somewhere else.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Chunuk

Travelers are raving about these Mount Maunganui hotels

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

My room was on first appearances -small but well appointed and most importantly it was clean. The unit was tired but coming off an incredibly long and busy summer it's hardly surprising and as they said they now have time to start repairs and more in depth maintenance. The views were lovely from balcony and the location is wonderful and I had no problems with the managers. Friendly and helpful. Would I stay here again - absolutely!

• Stayed May 2013
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

stayed in room 305,the views of the beach and ocean was great,and from every room.the sun was shining across the lounge nearly all day.apartment was very tidy and well equipped even sky in the bedroom! handy with the stereo having i pod dock.management needs some people skills training but would definitely stay in the same apartment again!!

Room Tip: rooms with 5 in them have the best views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I had read the past reviews when booking to stay there over the last week of the May school holidays. I was wondering if i should have booked after what i read on some comments. I need not of worried. On arrival we were shown the car park and taken up the lift and shown the apartment. The apartment we were in had a great view of the harbour, was warm and comfy. O.k so no vaccumming done under the beds or a few fingermarks here and there, or you run out of milk/coffee, go to the dairy. It was still tidy with clean linen and towels etc. The spa pool was very warm and clean. If your looking for staff 24hrs at reception to tend to your every need...go to a hotel! But if your looking to go somewhere where it feels like home and you want privacy come to the atruim. We will visit again. Thanks Lynley and team.

Room Tip: Ask for 4th or 5th floor facing ocean or harbour, if you want great views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kylie R
rotorua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was looking around for nice apartment with sea views for my husband and i to have a lovely night away.I booked the Atrium is it was a little cheaper and great location,and views, love watching those big ships come in.
The lovely lady there Debbie upgraded us to the Penthouse Suite, just randomly. I was stoked that never happens to me.She asked us only to use 1 of the 3 rooms,which was fine.
The apartment was Amazing,spotless, beautifully set up, fabulous views, roomy.Well kitted out with all sorts of extras.
I was arriving after the office was closing on a public holiday, she was very helpful with instructions how to get in etc, and even when i had to call her she was very helpful.
When we checked out she said, if the Penthouse suite was empty she would offer to other bookings for the same price, as long as only 1 of the rooms were used,AWESOME...
It has 3 spacious rooms, we decided next time we might get another 2 couples together and book it out.Plenty of room.Also the perfect location for a summer family break,with a lot of luxury.
Thank you so much you made our day, and we will be back...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank debzrotorua
Hamilton, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

DON'T EVER STAY HERE. Management treated us appallingly.

We bought a voucher deal to stay with 2 adults and 3 kids, and booked 4 months ahead of time for a special occasion. Our booking was incorrect 3 times and I had to keep emailing to have it corrected.

When we arrived to check in to our room with full sea views the manager very rudely told us "Your not in that room anymore. We bumped you because other people booked in and they are paying full-price so the room isn't available any more". When I raised that we had booked 4 months earlier and confirmed 4 times, even as recently as 7 days before, so the room shouldn't have been available for anyone else to book, he just said "So what, you bought it with a voucher so you're lucky your not staying in the basement." And he taunted me with the room key; going to hand it to me then pulling it away several times over. If we hadn't prepaid and didn't have the kids I would have just left.

The new room did not even have a sleep space or bedding for our 3rd child.

The deal also included late checkout but we were phoned and asked to leave 3 hours earlier.

During our stay the pool was freezing and the spa was cold as well, the room and dishes were dirty, and the elevator didn't work (we were on the 5th floor). But those things are minor compared the to treatment by management.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
#8 of 13 in Mount Maunganui
The Reef Beachfront Apartments
The Reef Beachfront Apartments
#1 of 19 in Mount Maunganui

Been to The Atrium Apartments? Share your experiences!