We needed a two bedroom for a 3 night stay in June. Did not want to stay in an overpriced motel with a trundle bed, nor have 2 primary school kids share our room.
We found this place after someone pointed out a live deal on one of those deal-of-the-day sites. Half-price for a 3 night stay! Only $299.00. Brilliant we thought.
1. Gent taking call told us to call back after 9.00am as he was in bed,
2. Called back and told to call back again as he was still in bed. Left our contact details.
3. No-one called back for hours.
Eventually we talked to a very nice lady who took our details but left us wondering if in fact we had a booking. So the next day I called and talked to the gentleman again. He told me that in fact we already had a booking, so we were all good to go.
4. Was told we would get an email booking confirmation. Didn't happen.
5. When I said that we'd be coming down on Friday. He said "Hopefully so will I" At which point I threw up a little in my mouth. That one comment instantly put me in fear as to what kind of place this was!
We arrived at check-in later than we said we would.(Auckland rush hour gridlock) and I must say the front desk lady was very helpful even after keeping her after-hours. Thanks for that.
Due to a booking mishap we were asked if we would like to move to a better room. Now no-one turns that down, so we agreed.
6. Upon walking in the room all you could smell was cigarette smoke. Please note that this is a non-smoking complex. It was overpowering and quite disgusting. We found an ashtray outside and that speaks for itself.
But we couldn't ask to change rooms as it was late, we were tired and we had to be up again at 6.00am. All we wanted was to sleep for a few hours. But even the pillow cases stunk of smoke.
The rooms were spacious enough. Compact you might say. The beds were acceptable. Didn't see any disgusting stains anywhere and everything in the room was clean enough. I've seen better and I've seen worse - even at a 5*.
We were going to ask to be moved, but being out all day with the windows wide open made it bearable. Not nice, but bearable.
While the weather was atrocious, we thought we'd benefit from the apartment's fantastic location and go for a walk to the beach and maybe have a spa.
7. The spa pool was cold/off, and the gym is a motley collection of broken down and rusty junk. You'd get better exercise chucking it in the skip.
Having Sky Movies on tap was good as it really rained cats and dogs that weekend.
TIP: Go up the road to the hot pools. Not many pools in the word have a view like that! Salty but pleasant. Oh, and the kebab shop is good too, but their fries are a rip-off.
Everything in the room worked. Take your own toilet paper. And I like the mini-dishwasher.
We got a late check-out which took the edge of our departure. I dislike those 10.00am departure places that won't let you check-in till 2.00pm. Told the front-desk about the smoke as wold told it was hard to monitor.
Would we as a family stay there again? Possibly - if the rooms were checked before being let, if the gym was ditched to save everyone from mentioning it, if the spa pool was HOT, and the creepy guy stopped being creepy. The location alone gives it some points.
The $299.00 deal meant it was a bargain. But to say they're luxury apartments is major stretch. Fancy or deluxe they're not. Unless you come from Gore in which case they could be.
Definitely a better stay that at lot of motels/motor lodges/some hotels.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Atrium Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Atrium Apartments Hotel Mount Maunganui