“Not the best place I have stayed”

The Atrium Apartments
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Mount Maunganui
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Not the best place I have stayed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Just spent Easter 2013 in a two bedroom apartment at the Atrium Apartments Mount Maunganui New Zealand. The apartments are not serviced and looking under the beds they are only barely cleaned. The office is not often open and the service you get is not rude but is certainly not welcoming. The level one apartment which were were in had no view and was noisy from people using the pool and BBQ area. It also felt very public. Also be aware that on the ground floor they have garaging on either side of the walkway and nothing to warn you or children that cars are coming through. We walked out of the lift (with our two small children) and almost got run over by a car travelling through the internal atrium area of the hotel. The rooms are very small and the furniture is old and in need of repair or replacement. Would not recommend this as a first choice place to stay. Having said all that it is very conveniently located to all the Mount has to offer.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on he first floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Pam B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Havelock North, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Third floor 2 bedroom apartment offered space needed for 3 adults, with sea views from balcony.
Adequately furnished, but bedcovers very stained, some curtain hooks broken, mismatched bedside lamps, shower head and basin taps dripping, no hairdryer or plunger pot for coffee.
Disappointing quality for price.

• Stayed March 2013
Hamilton, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

We had booked some accommodation at the atrium 4mths ago and got a price and an email confirming it. When we arrived the manager informed me that the price quoted to me couldn't be met now so it was put up by $100 a night. It wasn't just about the difference in price but the way we were then treated. We found the manager Rude Arrogant Insulting and threatening. We left and found somewhere else to stay where the manager was so helpful , polite and accommodating. We have never in all the years of travelling and staying in hotels around the world been treated so appallingly. We feel for the owners of these apartments as they will loose clients hand over fist with a manager like this. The apartments are lovely and the position is excellent just such a pity about the lack of people skills by the manager.

Stayed February 2013
5 Thank tigsnz

Travelers are raving about these Mount Maunganui hotels

Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights on a Grab One deal so got it at a good price - thank goodness! Location is great and views from apartments are good but apartments are very small and quite tired. We were a couple and in a two bedroom apartment but it was so small we were very grateful we had nobody else with us. Bedrooms tiny, bathroom tiny although clean and serviceable. TV reception was extremely poor quality making it very difficult to watch anything. The most disappointing part of the whole place was that the handrails up and down the flights of stairs were filthy. I realise the place was full and very busy but when you only have two options, several flights of stairs or a lift that is extremely slow with a long wait time, then cleaning of the stairs handrails should be a priority. I went down one flight of stairs and my hand was black by the time I got to the bottom - yuk! And nothing changed about that over the whole weekend. The pool appeared to be well used and appreciated although we didn't try it. All in all the place is ok and no doubt very suitable for a young family if you can get at a good price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Glynnie18
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Had stayed here 5 plus years ago and it was fine but was worried about the recent reviews. I should not have worried, had an apartment on the 5th floor with views over the beach. Apartment was modern, corner 2 brm with queen beds in both which suited us as there was only 3 adults. Would definately stay again but when booking will make sure to ask if it is a modern apartment and on the corner so nice and quite and away from the lifts. I found the lady at reception okay and the other staff friendly. Ideal location with own private walkway through to beach but who needs the beach when they have a nice pool and hot soak pool. Only one little thing was several times no one was at reception and I had to wait for attendant to come down from upstairs.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask if it is a modern room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was my second stay here after a break of a few years. Good location. Check in was easy.
I had a two bed apartment, had a view out over the pool. The apartment on the 4th floor was tired.
I was on a work contract, but, would I return if I had to pay....probably not. However, don't let this put you off, since with the beaches and pool so close, other than sleeping, really, how much time do you spend in your room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sunshine Coast, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

We recently purchased a grabone deal for three nights in a two bedroom apartment. Being disorganised, by the time I phoned to book there were no two bedrooms left, however the woman offered me a one bedroom so we decided to take that up as we were travelling as two adults and a two year old. I was offered a portacot (which I declined as we would take our own). It was clearly known at the time of booking that we were travelling with a toddler.

We were checked into Apartment 500 ... top floor, spectacular view but furnished horrifically. No dining space (daughter ended up sitting on a towel on the floor with a bowl of spaghetti between her legs), I had to move the bedside tables out of the bedroom to make space for the portacot (and ours is a small one), our bags were all on the oversized three piece lounge suite as there was no room for them in the wardrobe (full of a drying rack, vacuum etc.). The fire alarm sounded early the next morning ... there was no fire escape plan on the back of the door.

I was so disappointed with my experience that we left after that first night (forfeiting the remaining two nights). The staff/management leave a lot to be desired and as much as I love Mount Maunganui, I will not be staying in the Atrium again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
#9 of 13 in Mount Maunganui
The Reef Beachfront Apartments
The Reef Beachfront Apartments
#1 of 19 in Mount Maunganui

Been to The Atrium Apartments? Share your experiences!