“Hiding”

Mamma Mia Italian Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 120 Restaurants in Mount Maunganui
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Inspired by family recipes with simple ingredients and full of flavour, Mamma Mia is all about love for food. It is about sharing good moments with your favourite people at the heart of the Mount.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We have owned a beach house at the mount for 7 years and had never tried Mamma Mia's before - shame for us - lovely atmosphere, good waitress but excellent food - will be back again I am sure

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Has there been a training camp run for restaurants on the Mt main strip - though shalt serve slowly?? The food, when it arrived was very good, the service was stilted at times. The problem was the length of time from drinks to starters to main course to dessert... Now we were in no rush, and food should be enjoyed, but this was bordering on the silly...
Would I go back - yes, because the food is good, but I would certainly push for better service, even though we were a largish group.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Loved Mamma Mia's the food was excellent as was the service, we will be back. Very easy restaurant to get to and parking was really easy. Fully licensed as well which was a bonus.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

My friend & arrived at the restaurant with $40 "Grab1" voucher in hand. Luckily we had made a reservation as the place was really busy & we were seated right in the middle of the throughfare. I would describe the place as cosy (very small dining area & tables really close together), warm & authentic Italian.

Drink order arrived quickly, the waitress was efficient & also appeared "run off her feet!"
We ordered the bread platter - arrived quickly & beautifully presented - the bread basket for 2 was made from filo pastry & contained a variety of cute little bread rolls, there was also bread sticks of different sizes, 3 spreads - balsamic vinegar/olive oil, roasted capsicum, pesto - delicious. Good size for 2 people.

I ordered the 'Salmone & Funghi' pasta dish ($22.00) - spinach fettucine with smoked salmon, mushroom, peas, in a creamy white wine sauce topped with fresh herbs & pecorino cheese. The dish arrived quickly & appeared to me to be swamped with peas! however the flavours worked well, it was great portion-size, satisfying & filling. Only drawback was the fettucine was undercooked/clumped in some places - a bit disappointing, as I love pasta dishes.

Dessert was Tiramisu (I think about $14) & my friend had Creme Brulee. Pretty good desserts & good portion-sizes.
One thing that did mar our dining experience, was that the very busy waitress inadvertently dropped cutlery on three occasions, close to our table.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Good service and atmosphere. The food was delicious. I ordered the veal scallopine and was surprised to find the meat was cut into quite small pieces, but there was a lot of it and it was great to see lots of roasted veges on the dish also.

1  Thank Deborah D