“Great place to hire a surfboard”

Hibiscus Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Hibiscus Surf School offers first class surfing instruction for all ages and abilities in a fun and safe learning environment. Whatever your surfing ability, your 100% certified, friendly instructors will provide personalized instruction and encourage you every step of the way.Our location at Main Beach, Mount Maunganui offers learning conditions that are second to none. You will gain confidence, water skills, and balance. Within your first 1 or 2 hour lesson, you'll be riding waves and feeling the good vibes that come from surfing!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place to hire a surfboard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Real friendly guy that will help you, he'll explain where the best waves are, boards are in great condition, it's right at the beach.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank klaasles

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“FANTASTIC DAY!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I took our 12 yr old daughter and our two teenage nieces out for a two hour lesson with Pierre at the beginning of Jan. We had an amazing surf lesson with him and a great over all experience with everyone involved in the surf school. The wetsuits were well kept and the boards were in really great shape. Pierre was the perfect instructor for us with a TON of enthusiasm and a genuine desire for all of us to succeed and enjoy our time. The area of the beach where the lessons are held is perfect for beginners allowing for lessons/instructions on the sand before you hit the water. The lesson started off with some body surfing which got us all very comfortable and having fun right from the start. The purchase of a couple of surf boards is absolutely in the cards for this summer back here in the US. Thanks to everyone at Hibiscus for a day full of fantastic memories.

Visited January 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Good value for a beginner surfer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

My daughter had a 2 hour surf lesson followed by an hour of surfing on her own. I booked a group lesson but there were only two surfers with the instructor so she got full on attention and made great progress. Altogether a great afternoon for her and good value for money.
The only drawback was that although I booked ahead over the phone, they required a deposit to guarantee the lesson but couldn't take a credit card over the phone, so I had to travel to the Mount an hour before the lesson to pay the deposit, and then found they don't take eftpos either so had to go and find a cash machine (they could have told me that over the phone!)

Visited January 2014
Guy_and_Rebecca, Owner at Hibiscus Surf School, responded to this review, January 12, 2015
Thanks for your review. I'm glad your daughter had a great afternoon and made lots of progress! I appreciate you mentioning that you would have liked a better payment system. I remember speaking to you on the phone and feel bad for any hassle. I had been looking for additional payment options for quite awhile.

I'm happy to say, thanks to improvements in technology, WE NOW ACCEPT CREDIT AND EFTPOS CARDS AT THE BEACH! As well as credit cards on our website.

To clarify for anyone reading, we take $20 deposit upon booking (unless you prefer to pay in full right away). This counts toward the lesson price, it's not additional. We do this because sometimes our lessons fill up, and once you book we guarantee your spot. The deposit is refunded 100% if lessons are cancelled do to conditions (which rarely happens, our spot has great teaching waves nearly every day!).

We closely monitor the number of students in each lesson, and make sure we have the proper ratio of instructors to students, and lessons start on time.

Thanks again for your review, very helpful! Rebecca Manning, Co-Owner, Hibiscus Surf School
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Kids surfing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Took my 5 (12,11,9 x 2 & 7) for a 2 hr lesson…excellent instructor. All the kids stood by the end of the lesson. V tired & happy family…they loved it.

Great to hear your kids loved it! Our goal is for everyone to be standing and riding waves inside their first lesson. Glad surfing was a great family activity for you and thanks for mentioning the excellent instructor.
Guy Shuttleworth, Co-Owner, Hibiscus Surf School
Tauranga, New Zealand
“How to start surfing?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I'm from Germany, means I had no idea how to surf or even how to start!
So the guy from the Hibiscus Surf School told me to just take a lesson, go out there and have fun! That was definitely the right decision. I took the surf2surf lessons on a Saturday (2h) and Sunday (2h),what was great fun! So in the following week I took the two hours that are included, to practice by myself. During that time a lot of questions were coming up. I got really friendly and very helpful answers to all of them!
I got a perfect start into the surfing, thank you for that!

Visited December 2013
Guy_and_Rebecca, Owner at Hibiscus Surf School, responded to this review, January 11, 2015
Hi Lara! You're very welcome. Thanks for sharing your experience. We teach a lot of Germans how to surf. And many people who have never been in the ocean! We totally understand many people have no idea how to surf, or how to start. So our goal is to make it easy and very fun! I'm glad you enjoyed your 2 days of lessons and the extra free equipment hires. We are always happy to answer questions and give advice. You did great.
Guy Shuttleworth, Co-Owner, Hibiscus Surf School