“Average food and vomiting guests”
Review of Summer Sands Lounge and Dining - CLOSED

Summer Sands Lounge and Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I bought a voucher off grab one for 1 entree, main and dessert for two people.

Entree-Calamari and king prawns. Only got 4 king prawns. Sauce on calamari was probably the highlight. Wilted average side salad.

Main-I got the chicken wrapped in bacon and my partner got the steak and prawns. Again average but at least it was filing.

Dessert. Cold soggy crepes and what tasted like a microwave oven sticky date pudding. The worst of all three dishes. Overkill with the cream but at ;east the date pudding had flavour unlike the crepes.

The worst part of the night was the guest who decided to first have a lie down on the floor under her table as she must of felt sick. The waitress who should have sent this obviously sick women home instead gave her a bucket of which she then proceeded to vomit in right in the middle of the restaurant. Have you ever tried to eat your dinner with someone vomiting near you? It was horrendous. The waitress should not have let this happen and should have either sent her home or called an ambulance.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

OK it was mid-day on a December Monday, but the people were certainly not at Summer Sands with only 2 other couples there. This is despite discount vouchers, daily specials and blackboard offerings they are having problems attracting customers so one has to ask WHY?

It could be that Summer Sands lack the zing and atmosphere of a happening beachfront cafe.

The lunch menu is rather limited with mainly standard fare and the cabinet food was also a bit limited. On arrival we were questioned if we had made a bookings and one wondered why with a near empty restaurant however we were seated and our order taken promptly. Our meals arrived quickly – about 12 minutes. The two dishes, Calamari with chips and salad ($20), and Tiger prawns in a summer salad ($22), were just OK – nothing spectacular and not great value.

So if you are on Marine Parade at Mount Maunganui and felling that you would like lunch and all the other restaurants and full of happy customers then Summer Sands would be OK but you would be a lot better off the buy a packet of fish and chips and enjoy then on the beach.

We won’t be rushing back!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Counter service was lovely and helpful, when I ordered the special with add on items I was advised of a better value menu item for my big breakfast. A Little bit pricey but I think comparable with other offerings in the area.

No air freshener in the bathroom so if someone drops a bomb in the porcelain and you go into the bathroom after them to wash your hands there is a risk of being put off your meal.

I've been to this place a couple of times and enjoyed the friendly service and tidy interior but I have frequently been delivered an incomplete order. The staff are switched on and make it right but then you have an extra plate with the rest of your meal on it. Better if delivered all at once. Happy to go back there if they start getting my order right, bur I'd hate to see what they're like on a busy day because most of the time I've been before the normal lunch crowd.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

A beuatiful spot looking over the Mount and close to the beach. A great place to enjoy the afternoon sun while having coffee and cake or a cold beer or cider. The food was delicious - the seafood pasta was packed full of seafood and flavour and the mussels were divine

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place is a good café place, we've been there close to 10 times now and thought the food was really good. The pancakes, eggs bene, gourmet chicken sandwich are our favourites. Cafe and milkshakes are fine too.
It is true the place lacks atmosphere a bit, it is quite big and often really quiet. It is ok for a brunch but I can understand people being disappointed when going for dinner because it really doesn't feel like a dinner place.
We only went there with GrabOne vouchers,