All reviews across the road overnight stay thai restaurant friendly and helpful hosts kitchen area good size comfortable bed two nights excellent location supermarket craig kitchenette units shops taxi studio tauranga
Selected filters
Reviewed April 19, 2019 via mobile

We booked Blue Haven Motel on line. My daughter and I travelled to Mount Maunganui for a 5th burthday celebration. We booked into the motel latee than intended but no problems. Great free WiFi - milk etc. The room and facilities were spotless. Our beds were warm and comfortable the bathroom and kitchen shining. My daughter loved the stove - an older Atlas and took a photo. It was quiet overnight and was all in all a very pleasant stay and reasonably priced. Thanks BLUE HAVEN.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2019

I stayed here for five nights and had a fantastic time. Here are my reasons for awarding this motel 5 stars

1. Great location
If you go to Google Maps and search for Mt Maunganui - Google Maps will show you a red boundary of where Mt Maunganui is. If you zoom into New World on Tweed St - that's where Blue Haven is. What this tells you is that you are in the middle of the area and really close to the airport and near the bridge that takes you over to Tauranga.

You can easily get to one side of the Mt - e.g Bayfair Shopping Plaza for $10 in an uber/taxi or to the Main Beach area where all the shopping strip is for around the same price. But it also means you stay somewhere quieter and relaxing while you have quick cheap access to these areas. I love that.

2. Quick access to New World, cafes and shops.
I have a checklist for when I book my accommodation - and being near a supermarket is essential because it saves you time. This motel is across the road from New World. It is also close to a great Thai restaurant, a healthy organic cafe, Chinese food, a chemist, hairdresser and a fruiterer.

3. Bus route
For those not wanting to catch a a taxi or uber can take advantage of the bus route that goes up and down the Mt or into Tauranga.

4. Customer service
I found the owners Paula and Craig and their cleaning team to be lovely. Craig even asked me if I needed a taxi when I left. That's really nice end to end service. I have travelled around the world and am always amazed how so many high end hotels never ask you this.

5. Free washing machine
I always travel light and do lots of laundry. There is a free washing machine and powder which is fantastic. Using the dryer costs a couple of dollars but you can also hang your washing up for free on the line around the corner from the machine. Much better for the environment!

6. Cleanliness
One of my pet dislikes is checking into a dirty room. My room was spotless.

7. Kitchenette.
I was in the studio and had a small pull out twin stove top. I loved it. I could boil some eggs and some bacon in the morning. I bought yummy Beehive bacon from New World and would boil that too. It cooks faster and you don't stink out the room. No oil cost!

8. Access to the local beach
It takes 5 minutes to walk to the local beach.

9. Peace and quiet, and privacy
I stayed for 5 nights and rarely saw other guests or heard them. This to me is pure bliss. I saw a number of rooms with open doors but you never heard anyone. I love quiet guests!

The last time I was in Mt Maunganui I stayed at a different motel. The other motel was in a U shape and had a designated footpath for walking. This meant our room looked out onto other rooms, and you could see guests walking around on the other side of the motel, walking past your room, hear them starting cars etc.

Blue Haven is on one long line and does not have a designated footpath. My room looked out onto a grass area. Over my 5 day stay I only ever saw one guest walked past my room. I rarely heard cars starting. I love that peace and quiet and sense of privacy.

10. TV with movies
I didn't watch much TV but when I did it was nice to have a great offering.

11. Price point - like I said, the last time I was here I stayed at a different motel. Blue Haven was significantly cheaper, and in light of all the points I made above, it's a real winner to me.

The one downside is the lack of airconditioning. I stayed during a time of humidity and heat. This made the room hot in the late afternoon but it's not like I was staying in the room during this time.

My room had a fan in it but also the room would cool down in the evening if you left some windows open. So actually...sleeping was okay.

So, my verdict - would I stay here again. You bet!

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed January 17, 2019 via mobile

I wasn’t quite sure how to review this one, but after staying here two nights I’ve realised it was perfect for what we needed.
Yep, not perfect or flashy new. I would describe it as a Motel Bach.
We stayed in #3. Separate shower, toilet and sink area, two single beds in one room, a double bed in the main room, dining table and kitchen. A grass area out back door with table and chairs.
Approx 1/2 hour walk down beach to the main Mt Maunganui or 5 min drive. Beach access is a 5 min (max) walk allowing us some excercise and swimming each day.
New World grocery store right across the road plus a Thai restaurant (Thai 2Go) around the corner for dine in or takeaway (the best we’ve ever had)!
Need to relax and enjoy a kiwi summer? This is the place to come. Suitable for families!!!

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
pjamieson, Manager at Blue Haven Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2019

Hi there,
Thanks so much for your comprehensive and spot on review, we’d love to be thought of as a ‘Motel Bach’, our one bedroom units, like the one you stayed in certainly have plenty of space and a relaxed vibe.
We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed December 3, 2018

Overnight stay in Large King Studio. Friendly hosts, very large spacious room with large outside balcony. Comfortable bed, good size kitchen area, good size kitchen table, good bathroom, excellent shower. Good parking and WiFi. Excellent location, opposite New World, only a 10 minute drive into main shopping and restaurant area and 5 minutes to beach. We have stayed here previously and would stay again. Excellent value for money.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
pjamieson, Manager at Blue Haven Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2019

Hi there,
Thanks for taking the time to place a review, unit 9 is certainly very popular.
Remember to book direct so that we can place you in your favourite unit 0800 575100.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future,

Reviewed November 22, 2018

Located just outside the central area meant this was a slightly quieter area but still good access to the beach and town centre. The team were helpful, the room and room service was great. Overall, a comfortable experience to start our NZ travels.

Date of stay: October 2018
pjamieson, Manager at Blue Haven Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2018

Hi there,
Thanks for taking the time to place a review,
We hope the rest of your travels were amazing.