Went to Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef for a week, last minute booking in Jan 11. Firstly, I would not recommend booking with Kuoni - after paying for the holiday up front they inform me the hotel does not have rooms. I checked the hotel website and it was showing a number of rooms, so I contacted the hotel directly who said there were rooms available. The hotel replied via email within 5 minutes. I then told kuoni, who took 3 days to confirm that there actually WAS a room available, but it would cost an extra £198. Fine, paid that. Waited. 48 hours later was told they needed another £98 (unsure why), to be able to confirm the holiday (they already had over £4k of our money). Over a week after initially trying to book, we finally got confirmation we had booked a holiday - this wouldn't be an issue but it only came through a few days before we departed and only occured because of me directly liasing with the hotel...kuoni - utterly useless. Virgin and Destinology also offer this hotel for UK customers so would recommend to book with them.
ANYWAY...the hotel itself is great. The island is very small, can be walked around in about 10 minutes. Staff cannot do enough for you, and there are atleast 3 per person.
The food is EXCELLENT. We went all inclusive which includes a cooked to order breakfast, 3 course al a carte lunch, 3 course al a carte dinner. There are a lot of choices and the quality of food is better than a lot of the top tier London restarants. Wine, cocktails and branded spirits are also included, and given the prices $10+ for a drink the all inclusive is very good value.
We stayed in a deluxe beach villa which I would recommend over the superior charm, as you are at the best part of the beach which doesn't have a sea wall, so you can hear the lapping waves from the room - lovely. Room was clean, large and very luxurious. We also stayed in a water villa for one night which was amazing - and has a massive bath where you can watch the sun go down.
Most people at the island were on their honeymoon, although some people had brought their children, who looked utterly bored and were not in keeping with all the honeymooning couples.
There was no entertainment at night, which can be a positive or negative - the barman is great and plays whatever music you request and the cocktails are great, so that kept us busy! most couples seemed to retreat to their rooms after dinner.
The snorkelling was brilliant- much better than the acclaimed Chayya reef where we went last year, this hotel has a reef straight from the beach which can be difficult if you are not a strong swimmer, but it also has coral in a sheltered area where the water villas are. There are also lots of fish, rays, sharks and eels to be seen from the beach/jetty.
Overall a great holiday with the rooms, staff, food and snorkelling all fantastic.
Improvements - more DVDs to choose from, one meal at the outdoor place included in the all inclusive package, free wifi & no kids!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- VIVANTA BY TAJ. A FRESH NEW WAY TO HOLIDAY.Vivanta By Taj - Coral Reef, Maldives has all the exotic ocean views and dramatic sunsets that are de rigueur for any tropical holiday. The twist comes when you step into your villa and instead of the usual beach dcor, find a streamlined, sophisticated take on resort accommodations. Vivanta by Taj has revamped the resort experience from stem to stern and offers the ideal escape at a stunning value proposition. Divers, beach bunnies, and honeymooners - we welcome you. After you descend into Male airport, a luxury speedboat spirits you and your luggage away to Hembadhu Island, where you arrive at Vivanta by Taj - Coral Reef. The resort is a diver's dream destination with numerous diving sites and it's very own 1000 year old coral-reef and shipwreck to explore. For those that prefer to stay on land, the view of the lagoon dotted with water villas is hypnotic. No matter where you travelled from, your world is about to become filled with white sand and magnificent coconut palms. Let Vivanta by Taj introduce you to bliss. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Booking.com, DerbySoftTaj, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Agoda, TravelUp, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vivanta By Taj Coral Reef Maldives Hotel Hembadhu
- Taj Coral Reef Hotel
- Hotel Taj Coral Reef
- Taj Coral Reef Maldives
- Taj Coral Reef Resort Maldives
- Vivanta By Taj Coral Reef Maldives Hembadhu