“Service very poor”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hembadhu
Hong Kong, China
“Service very poor”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed at Vivanta for 4 nights in mid October. We booked the hotel about 1 month in advance and informed the hotel by email that we will celebrate my birthday and my pregnancy with our first child. We were really looking forward to our holiday in the Maldives for the first time but we were truly disappointed.
Lots of things went wrong during our stay:
Upon arrival at the airport, we were the very first passenger at the hotel booth but first unpleasant surprise: they couldn't find us on their list of guests to pick up. After a phone call and lots of searching in their drawer, they found our names with a remark "no flight details provided". This was of course not correct, I got a confirmation email from Shipra on the 13th of September that they received our flight details. Lucky us, there were 3 more couples on the same flight going to the same hotel, so we did have a boat waiting for us.
During the first 3 days we had a couple of incidents with the hotel staff making mistakes, but we decided to ignore them so we can enjoy our holiday. On our 2nd last day, things got out of hands, so I decided to list all of them here:
1) Rooms:
We were upgraded to a water villa for our first night (we arrived late in the evening) and were told that we will need to move to our beach villa at 11am the next day. The water villa had a nice view, but beware, the photos shown on their website are not correct. They are photoshopped! The removed the stone wall from their photos on their website.
The male staff who showed us to our water villa made us very uncomfortable. First he introduced things to us that didn't work. For example he said, here you can switch on the lights for the deck outside, then we went outside and it was pitch black. He just pretended everything is fine until just before he left he discovered that he didn't push the card correct, so there was actually no electricity during the whole introduction. After that he just stayed there and didn't leave, although we thanked him and very clearly dismissed him. He just stood in our room and said nothing for at least 1-2 minutes. My husband suddenly realized, he was waiting for a tip. We are not used to this because we travel mostly in South-Asia for beach holidays and it is not common there to do this.
The water villa itself is nice because you have direct access to the water from your deck but it is not the typical water villa you are used to from the Maldives. The villas are not on water, but attached to the beach. The interior looks a bit empty, needs a bit more decoration. The bathroom was nice, very big bathtub.
We preferred the beach villa though because you have direct access to the beach (only the closest ones to the watersports center though) + some nice shades from the palm trees. The deck on the water villas are completely exposed to the sun.
The next morning we went for a very early breakfast at 7am and for a swim, so we could be ready for our move at 11am. At 10:45 someone called to our room but we were too late to pick up. We called back within 5 mins asking who called. The receiver didn't know and said will call us back. No one called back. At 11am we were ready with our luggage and waiting for the bell boy. No one came, so we called again asking when we can move. The lady on the phone said, we were not supposed to move until 5pm. We couldn't believe that, we packed everything already and didnt want to unpack a 2nd time. We said we want to move ASAP. She said ok, she will try. In the meantime we went to the pool bar for lunch and a drink. Just after we ordered a staff member showed up and said he wants to move us now. We said, sorry, cannot, we just ordered. He was clearly disappointed although they were late, not us. During our drinks another lady came and asked the same thing again and we said, we need another 15mins.
After that we finally moved to our beach villa.
2) Island/beach:
The island is very small which is fine, but they almost completely built around the whole island, which means, you have no access to the beach/water, except at the small beach right next to the pier. You cannot go for a walk around the island.
The snorkeling is very nice at their house reef but we couldn't find any soft corals.
3) Water sports center:
We wanted to join some organized trips and checked their "today and tomorrow schedule". We found something interesting for the next day and asked to sign up. The guy told us the information shown on the board is actually not correct, they don't update it and the activity we wanted is not on tomorrow's schedule.
What a disappointment! Why show a schedule if it is not correct? They also told us we need to approach other guests ourselves if we want to book a scenery flight or an island hopping trip. We never had this problem before that we couldn't book an activity and have to organize 5 couples ourselves. We didn't know any of the other guests and thought it is not appropriate to bother them on their honeymoons.
It felt like begging. So we were not able to do any island hopping or the scenery flight.
4) Spa:
On my birthday we booked a couple treatment for my husband and me. They didn't offer any prenatal massages, so I could only choose a Facial. The lady who did my facial was a smoker. I could smell the cigarette smell on her hands when she massaged my face. I am a nonsmoker so this was a very unpleasant experience for me.
5) Restaurants:
The food for lunch and dinner was good, although very pricey (normal in the Maldives). Breakfast got boring after 2 days because it was always the same small buffet.
6) Staff:
There are mostly men working in this resort and their English isn't that good (except the higher positions). We had always the same guy as our waiter in the main restaurant and he always only mumbled something which we couldn't understand and never smiled.
One morning he spilled my husbands juice, didn't apologize and walked away. We had to call another waiter to clean up his mess. The next day the same thing happened again. He made me very uncomfortable because he never smiled.
On 2 occasions I told one of the staff that I am pregnant: a) barkeeper asked why we don't drink any alcoholic drinks and I said I am pregnant and he replied "Oh no". This is not the correct way to respond to such news. He realized it later on and came back and apologized.
b) at the Spa I informed the male staff that I am pregnant and he answered "I am sorry". No idea what he meant with that. Both situations made me uncomfortable because I am happy to be pregnant and they made it look like I am ill.
7) Sting ray feeding
The sting ray feeding was really fun however they let guests touch and even snorkel around them while we fed them. They had a brochure in every room "Save the Maldives" which states that you must not touch any animals.
However, at this resport even the staff encouraged guests to touch the sting rays and go into the water with them.
8) Guests
There were almost only Mainland Chinese guests on the island during our stay which means lots of smokers and they smoke everywhere (pool, bar, beach, even on the little motor boat we took to the sand bank etc.). As a pregnant woman this disturbed me even more than usual. Imagine you are in the middle of the Indian ocean on a little boat and you have to breathe in cigarette smoke. It was disgusting.
9) Departure
This was a nightmare and made me decide to write all of this down. On the day before our departure we went to the reception to inform them once more about our departure the next day because we knew they lost our flight details.
The lady told us someone will contact us during the day to ask for the details. Someone came by our villa in the early afternoon asking for the flight details. We told him and he left. Later in the afternoon we walked along the beach when another staff approached us asking the same question again. We told her we just informed her colleague about this but provided the flight details once more.
In the evening someone called to our room asking a third(!) time about our flight. I got annoyed and said I provided the information twice today already. She said she will check again and call me back. 2mins later she called back and had our flight details.
Then she told us we have to leave 4 hours(!!!) before our flight although the lady at reception told us it will be 3 hours. I complained and said we want to leave earlier because we don't want to stay 3 hours at the airport.
She said, cannot change because other guests also take the same boat to catch the same flight (which meant all of us had to wait 3 hours).
At this point we were really disappointed and angry. We chose a resort that is close to the airport so we have as little travel time as possible.
The boat trip only took around 50mins (there are no traffic jams on the sea), so we arrived more than 3 hours before our flight's departure. On the boat were a few male hotel staff in regular clothes (I guess they had their day off). One of them continually stared at me and my husband, probably because we are a mixed couple, me being Caucasian and he is Chinese. Hotel staff should know better that this is rude behavior.
At the airport, the check-in counter hasn't even opened yet, so we had to wait 1.5 hours on a bench before we could check-in (there is nothing else to do in the check-in hall, no restaurants or shops). Of course our flight was delayed, so we were more than 4 hours at the airport.

We really tried hard to ignore all their mistakes and mishaps but the last day made us so angry that we decided to write a negative review here on Tripadvisor.
We blame the management for not training the staff well and not organizing the hotel operations better. We are business owners ourselves and we know, if the staff is doing something wrong, often you have to blame the management for not training them correct.
We are very seasoned travelers, going on business trips and holidays on a monthly basis and are very familiar with airport operations and 5* hotels. Unfortunately, this was the worst 5* hotel we ever visited. It was the first time that we were both looking forward to leave and go back home (after only 4 days).
We recommend to travelers who live in East Asia to better travel to Thailand, the Philippines, Bali, Fiji, Malaysia etc. with beautiful beaches, fantastic local food and very, very friendly and ever smiling hotel staff (for a lower price than in the Maldives).

Room Tip: choose a beach villa very close to the water sports center, otherwise you need to walk to the beach.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
16 Thank pumi26
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Pumi26,
Thank you for your review of our resort. Please do accept my sincere apologies for not being able to ensure that you have a memorable stay with us.

It is our desire that every guest who stays with us leaves as an ambassador of our hotel. We at Vivanta by Taj – Coral Reef, Maldives strive to excel and surpass guests expectations at every interaction, as members of The Taj Group of Hotels, We pride ourselves as being "World Class", It is feedback from discerning travelers such as yourself that help us in our "Quest for excellence."
Thank you once again and do keep us posted should you plan another trip to our part of the water world.
Regards,
Vishal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We recently stayed at the resort which had such high ratings. The resort is dated and the pictures on the web are not a true reflection of the resort. Staff were excellent but overall the resort is tired looking and definately not 5 star. Food was expensive relative to setting and facilities.

Room Tip: the beach villas looked in better condition that the water villas, which are on land and run down
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jacky313
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Jacky313,

Regards,
Pune, India
Reviewed October 22, 2013

One of the most amazing place on earth...breathtaking views of Indian Ocean... perfect place for relaxation... amazing food; some of the best variety of seafood. excellent hospitality... beautiful rooms and villas...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rpv28
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear rpv28,

My team and I are delighted to receive your review of your wonderful stay with us recently. Thank you for your encouraging feedback and compliments of the resort.

It will be our pleasure to extend the wonderful Taj hospitality to you again, should you plan another holiday with us in the future.

New Delhi
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Reached the resort via speed boat, it took 45 mins from Male. Check-in was quick & welcome drinks were absolutely refreshing. We were thrilled to get into our huge villa with a private pool over looking the beach! The resort is vast & equipped with all the facilities that Taj is known for- Jiva spa, multi cuisine restaurants, boutiques, reading room & the amazing hospitality. One can do numerous water activities like snorkelling, scuba diving, banana ride, canoeing & not to forget feeding the sting rays! My favourite place (besides my villa & pool) at the resort was the moon-deck, where you can sit & enjoy the green waters of the lagoon & beyond.

Room Tip: Choose a villa by the beach with a private pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Ras_Baijal,

New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were travelling with our friends from 10 Aug. 2013 for 5 nights and this is first time to Maldives and it was amazing. Hotel arrangement for pick-up from airport was very comfortable. The boat had upper deck was superb where we all lay down while we were transported to Resort from airport and we all enjoyed. We stayed in the beach villa for 4 nights and 1 night in water villa and we both couple loved it. Both rooms were spacious and longish. Our Deluxe Delight Beach Villa was wonderful. The room was large with a deck outside leading out to our very own pristine beach 20 yards out. The view from the room was absolutely breathtaking. We arrived in the afternoon and looking out of the villa, the first sight of the turquoise blue waters with the sun at its zenith will remain etched in my memory forever. We had the outdoor shower too which we tried once only. The toilet was great sized and mostly cleans.
We had another 1 night at the water villa #115 & 114, which was splendid and way better than the beach villa hands down. Room was spacious. Toilet and bathtub, which fits 2-person confortable, was gorgeous as it opens up to the outdoor verandah facing the sea.

Water was crystal clear. From the water villa we could take a plunge into the sea for snorkeling etc. fishes and other marine life were plenty. The food at the resort is out of the top drawer. The multi cuisine Latitude also serves breakfast. . Main course portions are delightfully delectable and woefully large.
Food was OUT OF THIS WORLD.
Each room will be provided with green apples Sparking and still water. Toiletries great smelled.

5pm is stung ray feeding time. It was such an experience to be able to feed and stroke large stingray who’s so gentle and shy and some time you also can see small sharks.
 Service is unmatched. Thank you for making this such a wonderful trip with memories to last a lifetime. And in last the staff of hotel is great and very friendly.
The small details of luxury were missing. In addition, it's quiet a small resort, with little to do after dinner. Hotel could’ve created more activities to do in the evening times and even during the day

Room Tip: beach villa is better if you do not want to send your day in the room. Get photo portfolio done and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank goel94
Dear goel94,

mumbai
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I got bored resting on bed while suffering from slip disk. For change we decided to visit Maldives. Was very concerned about the pain I may get in journey. Hotel arrangement for pick-up from airport was very comfortable. The boat had upper deck where I could lay down while we were transported to Resort from airport. Looking to my condition, I was given water villa near the restaurants and swimming pool. Resort in located on an island of about 9 acre. I was amazed to see clear sea water and sky, all blue. Three choices of restaurants. Staff was attending to every need and was quick and responsive. Enjoyed swimming, snorkelling, just sitting on shore watching sun set and full moon nights. Resort serve good drinks and also play all kind of music. Got photo portfolio done at cost of 275 dollars which we cherish. How four days went I did not realize. I will like to visit again in future and enrol for basic diving course next time.

An excellent place for honeymoon.

Room Tip: Water villas are best. It gives private access to sea and have private sun deck also.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hemantkandel,

loughborough
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We booked in here for a week at the beginning of September..we arrived to the resort via speedboat, which took about 40 mins and was no problem at all. We were greeted at the resort by a cold flannel and a shot of cold juice which really helped after the plane flight from UK..
we were immediately checked in and made our way to out beach villa.This itself was superb and had everything we could want from a Maldives resort..The sand was on our doorstep and the sea about 10-15 metres from us! Snorkeling around our villa was amazing..so many types of fish everyday!!
Food here is great as its a la carte..Latitude had a daily changing menu and the food was 10/10.Open the grill was also great but the menu didnt change whilst we were there..but we did have the lobster special and the rib eye special, and both dishes were cooked to perfection and served with detailed presentation. The pizzas were also amazing..i ended up having one nearly every day for lunch!
Spa was also very good with a good selection of treatments!
The staff here are also great..Hussain in Latitude really ran the show and without him there it would not have run as smoothly, always smiling and always caring with his service - top member of staff!!. Balaji and Ihaan in the bar were great lads, always had fun times with them and even beat them both at pool! ha! Rana in Open was very precise with service and looked after us.
The island is more relaxed than others in the sense they leave you to do what you want and don't offer excessive amounts of activities like other resorts do, which in my books is a good thing. The daily sting ray feeding is a must, we never missed it ever!! It was my birthday when we were there and they had decorated the outside of the villa with balloons and a small board saying happy bday..nice enough!!

Taj know what they are doing and the result is a top class resort with even better food!

The only bad point is the $20 daily charge for wifi..when he have paid for all inclusive i dont think we should have been charged for wifi as there are other similar resorts in the Maldives that offer it for free..its not nice to have a bill at the end of the stay for such an amount as it leaves a bit of a bad feeling towards the resort...this actually would make me choose another resort that would offer it for free!

But overall, great place, great food, great snorkeling!!

Thanks for a great week!

Room Tip: beach villa 228 is away from it all and has great coral for snorkeling!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nik4444
Dear nik4444,

It is very rewarding for the team to realize that their warm, professional and anticipatory service very much contributed towards your stay experience. Indeed, it is the Taj way to ensure that all our guests receive the genuine warmth and hospitality that they deserve.

Vishal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hembadhu
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Paradise Island Resort & Spa
Paradise Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lankanfinolhu Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,329 reviews

Been to Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives? Share your experiences!