“My 1st time in Maldives”

Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hembadhu
Singapore
“My 1st time in Maldives”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I chose Vivanta Coral Reefs as there was a VISA promotion and I had stayed there with my girlfriend in a water villa. we paid around SGD1200 per night. We stayed for 3 nights. I'd say I would definitely return to Maldives for another holiday again! The Vivanta Coral Reef is around 50mins to an hour boat ride (by Vivanta Coral Reef) from the Airport jetty to the resort. Checking in was smooth and fast. the water villa is big and all toiletries and drinking water is provided. What you will need is probably a keen interest in snorkeling and the sun and sea. The bath tub is really big enough for 2 and overall, the villa is very clean. The staff were friendly and accomodating. There's a special attraction i'd say for this resort. I don't known if every resort has this, they have a stingray feeding session everyday at 5pm! it's really cool as i've never done this before. food for the stingray is provided by the resort. you only have to have the courage to pick it up and feed it by hand to the stingrays which will grace the shores in front of the resort. it'd be good if u have your own snorkeling gear as only the fins are provided free by the resort. other than that is chargeable. breakfast is delicious and standard american breakfast available too. dinner at the grill is yummy too! although the villas are pricey, I'd say it's worth the penny as we had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Snorkel everyday! fishes everywhere!

Room Tip: water villas a must if you love snorkeling!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Vivanta by Taj – Coral Reef, we are glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us.

We very much appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you felt well-taken care of during your stay. We hope to have you with us again; it will be our pleasure to extend the warm Taj hospitality to you should you return in the future.

Vishal Singh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Westbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

From the moment we arrived in Male, we were greeted by a friendly member of Vivanta who whisked us off to the boat and after a nice 40 minute boat ride we arrived to the warmest welcome we have ever encountered. The staff were all on the jetty waving and to personally greet us.

We stayed in a premium water villa (room 128) and it was amazing. The brochure in our opinion doesn't even do them justice. The room was large, with a desk and dressing area, a comfy kingsize bed with pillow menu, a very large bathroom (HUGE beautiful bath) and double shower with a large deck featuring a table and chairs, 2 loungers and a ladder to the stunning lagoon. (hair dryer, safe, dental kit, life jackets, shampoo etc all available)

The lagoon is lovely, we saw a turtle swim by our villa early one morning and I found one of the stingrays in there too - but for the best snorkelling head out of the lagoon and on to the reef. We went from the main beach and all around the island and at the drop off you can often see white tip reef sharks (nothing to worry about) swimming by. We are huge fish enthusiasts and saw Moorish Idols, tangs, triggers, several different types of rays, lionfish, clownfish in their host anemones, octopus - all sorts and there is some lovely coral outside the lagoon.

One of the highlights of our stay was whilst I was sat on the moon deck I noticed a pod of dolphins close to shore and after running to the dive centre to grab a snorkel and fins, I got to spend around 2 and a half hours with them and one of them played with me and started mimicking me. I was told If you see dolphins you should get them to take an interest in you, make noises and move about in an interesting way as they are as interested in us as we are in them! They were beautiful!!! Also the daily feeding of the rays, Vivanta have been doing this for 17 years and you can hand feed them, it is a truly unique and wonderful experience & we did it every day.

I did my PADI scuba diving qualification whilst here with a huge thanks to my AMAZING & patient instructor Jennifer, she is lovely and if you are nervous, I really cannot recommend her highly enough. My first dive I got to see a white tip reef shark about a metre and a half away, there is also a wreck you can dive at the house reef.

The staff here really make this place special, for example I got sunburnt from snorkelling and they tried to get me some sun block from Male, they just could not do enough to help you and were the most lovely team and we thank you for making this holiday so special. We'd like to especially mention Tariq at Latitude restaurant, I was so nervous at diving he would pack up my breakfast so I could have it after, just lovely, friendly, helpful & the most excellent service, Tiffany everyday at the reef restaurent (has a great hangover cure ;)) and Praveen the security manager, good luck with your diving, Jennifer at the dive centre - for everything.

The only niggle we had was the internet seemed expensive. We run a business and we needed to check on it often via internet and for a 5 star hotel, we would have expected it to be included.

We were sad to leave and got a big farewell with various staff coming out to wave us goodbye as we left the jetty and we have nothing but amazing memories. Thank you so much team Vivanta, we can't recommend this hotel highly enough and we will definitely be back!!!

Daniel & Christine (128)

Room Tip: We stayed in a premium indulgence water villa (room 128) and it was perfect!
2 Thank Christine P
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Christine & Daniel,Dear Guest,

My team and I are delighted to receive your review of your wonderful stay with us recently. Thank you for your encouraging feedback and compliments of the resort.

It is very rewarding for the team to realize that their warm, professional and anticipatory service very much contributed towards your stay experience. Indeed, it is the Taj way to ensure that all our guests receive the genuine warmth and hospitality that they deserve. We are very pleased that you felt well-taken care of during your stay.

It will be our pleasure to extend the wonderful Taj hospitality to you again, should you plan another holiday with us in the future.

Rugby
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We have just returned from our first holiday in the Maldives, there are so many islands to choose from but we feel very lucky to have chosen this wonderful island.We had a deluxe beach villa which was fantastic,very comfortable with extras such as the iPod docking station and outside shower.We only had to walk about 4 paces before we were on the white sand and looking out onto the most beautiful ocean. The snorkelling was just fantastic just imagine being put into a tropical fish tank and having the most stunning fish surrounding you,the coral reef surrounding the island ensured a wide variety of fish.When you think it cannot get better every afternoon the sting rays would visit the shore at least 10 where you get to feed them.The staff are so friendly and go out of their way to ensure you have everything you need to make your stay perfect. The food is very good particularly in the Latitude restaurant. We would certainly go back to this taste of paradise.

Room Tip: Would suggest if having a deluxe beach villa try and get one from 217 or above to ensure you have th...
1 Thank Helen S
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, April 29, 2013

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Just back from a holiday in Taj Vivanta, Maldives and nothing said will be enough to praise the beauty of the place. Everything right from, location, service, food and friendliness of staff is just perfect. But if I have to pick one thing then it will have to be the amazing staff. They just make you feel at home and l think that is what differentiates this place from the others. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone planning a trip to Maldives.
Rajeev (Mumbai)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Rajeev K
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, April 22, 2013

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Extremely friendly people------without exception each and every staffer went out of his way to make our stay comfortable.

For special mention would be Mr praveen gaonkar the security manager.

He went out of his way to lend us his personal camera because we had left our own back at New Delhi.
He spent his personal time to take our pictures which are a recall value of a good holiday and hospitality.

Mr Shaffi from hospitality who looked after the room
not to be left out the manager of your grill for outdoor dining a man who went out of his way to
get involved in suggesting and choosing the food---special dishes for us.

Room Tip: Each and every room has a plus point of its own. Sitting on the deck outside or relaxing in the ham...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank praveen49
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, April 2, 2013

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Took my girlfriend and then for the second trip as my wife! - what can you say apart from WOW!
Spectacular reef, awesome diving great cuisine and the staff are out of this world. In fact on the second visit 2 years after the first it was noted prior to our arrival and we were greeted by staff who had provided an exemplary service before - complete with a caked individually iced for both of us!.

The dive centre is great and well staffed and stocked and the local boat dives are worth the trip.

beware the bar bill as it is easy to forget what is / is not included in an all inclusive package ;0) but do try the grilled lobster in the a la carte restaurant

Room Tip: Over water villas allow snorkeling direct into the lagoon
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mharri2
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, March 27, 2013

Jamshedpur, India
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed at the Vivanta Coral Reef for a week with my wife and 8 year daughter. The speedboat transfer from Male was undertaken efficiently. Arrival at the resort was quick and warm. Our Deluxe Delight Beach Villa (212) was wonderful. The room was large with a deck outside leading out to our very own pristine beach 20 yards out. The view from the room was absolutely breathtaking. We arrived in the afternoon and looking out of the villa, the first sight of the turquoise blue waters with the sun at its zenith will remain etched in my memory forever. The resort is blessed with an endless stream of stunning views, each one very different from the other. The moon deck looks out at the vast expanse, the poolside overlooks the beautiful house reef and beyond and so on. We could sometimes struggle to pick where to spend our time - outside our villa on the loungers / hammock or by the pool etc. and there was so much more to do besides.
The food at the resort is out of the top drawer. The multi cuisine Latitude also serves breakfast. . Main course portions are delightfully delectable and woefully large. Notwithstanding any activity that we chose to do we did have an incessant fight against the bulge. The Grill serves top notch South American cuisine and the Pizzeria serves the most delicious quesadillas and pizzas amongst other snacks.
The snorkelling and diving at the resort are exceptional. The house reef is safe (with only mild currents) and is teeming with underwater life. Markus and his team at the Dive Center cultivate coral in the house reef. The reef in front of our beach villas was truly magnificent. The sharp drop of the coral ridge, about 50 meters from the shore, is a treat for the senses and full of marine life. The short trip to the Blue Lagoon sand bank was great for snorkelling with amazingly still and clear water.
This trip was the best we have ever had. Whilst the beauty and copious luxury did play its part, the clincher was the sincerest attention that the wonderful staff of the resort accorded to us. Mr. Rahul Taneja, the F&B team lead epitomises the value system of the Taj hospitality, with his grace, dignity and warmth. Frazer and Chandika at the Latitude and the Grill/Pizzeria respectively are exemplary professionals. Noella and her front office team are as good as you will ever see. Pravin, the security head, took time off from his schedule and took us around the resort and shot some (about 200) beautiful pictures of us in his camera. All the aforementioned and many others- Hussain, Waseem, Ilham, Tiffany, Vivienne at the restaurants, Zaki and Phyllis in the front office, David, Claire, Kanai, Shariq at the dive center and many more went beyond their call of duty to make this a trip of a lifetime for our family. We can’t thank them enough and wish them all the best to spread the happiness that they bestowed on us.

Prakash, Ranjita and Anoushka

Room Tip: The Deluxe Delight beach villas are great for families. The overwater bungalows may suit couples / h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank prakash_gmp
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, March 26, 2013

Vishal Singh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hembadhu
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Lankanfinolhu Island
Meeru Island Resort & Spa
Meeru Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Meerufenfushi

Been to Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives? Share your experiences!