“Amazing experience... Some additional tips below...”

Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hembadhu
Reviewed August 16, 2011

On the whole the resort is great and the location is fabulous. The Charmed Beach Villa that we stayed in was well appointed (despite being the lowest category accommodation) and is more than adequate for a couple. If you are travelling with kids the Deluxe Delight Beach Villas, the roomier version of the Charmed Villa may be better suited.

The food was good and there is enough variety to suit different palates but please be warned that since you are on an island that houses nothing but the resort, an all inclusive package is probably the best choice. It takes 50 minutes on a speed boat to get from the airport to the resort.

The sting ray feeding was one of the highlights. Almost a dozen sting rays turned up at the beach near the jetty every evening at around 4.30 pm and the hotel arranges for fish to feed them at 5 pm. Do not miss this!

There is abundant opportunity to snorkel around the reefs the surround the resort and there are some additional options of reefs close to the property (only 10 minutes by boat). I am not an avid diver so I only snorkeled but I heard from other guests that they were having the time of their lives with the scuba diving experience.

Now for the area that was truly disappointing. We had a nightmarish experience when we went snorkeling at the “blue lagoon”. Due to some communication gap among the water sports staff we were taken on the boat directly to open sea even though we had told them that my wife had not snorkeled ever before. The “guide” who came with us behaved like a “rude boat driver” and was aloof and offered no help to my petrified wife. She gathered courage and snorkeled around the beautiful reef. On our return we complained and they accepted that it was a miscommunication that led to the problem. If I had a weak hearted partner I think she would have sworn off snorkeling for life… so I request you to clearly sort out the details on this front.

Overall a wonderful experience and will want to go back sometime!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ponnanna
AllwynDrego, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review of our quaint resort. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and will certainly convey your gracious words of praise and appreciation to my entire team. I have also noted your concern and disappointment with our dive centre attendant and would like to personally apologize for the poor service rendered. I have discussed the same with our Dive centre management team so that such an incident does not recur.

Do keep me informed whenever you plan your next trip to our part of the water world.

Allwyn Drego

Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)

Reviewed August 10, 2011

The Maldives has always been on my bucket list and I can definitely say I was not disappointed. From the minute that my husband, two teenage son's and I stepped off the aircraft in Male, everything was perfect! The greeting we received at the airport was professional and the short walk to the cruiser to take you to the island will impress anyone. Where else can you step of an international flight walk a few metre's and straight onto a boat?
We stayed in two beach front villas which were fantastic!
I can highly recommend villas 207 & 208 as they have a great view from the bed. You have your own beach lounges and hammocks to while away the long sun drenched days.
We took our travel agents advice and took the full board option and we were so glad that we did! The menu's were extensive and the food amazing! The dive centre staff were fantastic and thanks to Frankie my 15 year old son had 4 of the best dives ever. He especially wanted to see Sea Turtles and he wasn't disappointed. The snorkeling straight off the beach was some of the best we have seen and the stingray feeding at 5pm every afternoon is highly recommended. The pool area is lovely, however the staff could be a little more attentive and in doing so I am sure they would sell more food and drinks around the pool.
A very relaxing stay and I am so glad that we spent the money as I will never forget this very special place!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Aussiesrus

Reviewed August 10, 2011

We loved each moment of our visit to maldives, from arrival to departure, it was a memorable trip. This is to all visitors u can enjoy in any condition there. I went with my mother in law and 2 sisters in laws, and mind u we had super fun there. It was completely a ladies out trip. The gesture by hotel was great, and the water villa rooms made us just fall in love wd it. Open to ocean bathroom and huge room space made our stay more luxurious. We did snorkeling, which was just beneath our water villa. Scuba diving was a great experience and my instructor made it real fun for me. We took spa and even tht ws fabulous experience. On top of all if we get our favorite food, mouth watering and sumptuous meals the trip becomes awesome. Super breakfast with Varity of stuff and mind blowing dal makhni use to be our food. At 5 in evening sting ray fishes come for feeding, that ws another fun. We use to jst wait for the moment. The fishes use to come jst near our legs n eat there food n go back. Taj vivanta is the best place to stay at maldives and we all jst had super time staying there. Over all a Great trip...

Room Tip: Water villa r best to make ur stay at maldives
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SwetaJain
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We traveled to Maldives for our honeymoon from July 25th - Aug 1, 2011. We stayed at the Taj Vivanta, and were booked in one of the water villas. I am going to break this review down in things that made my stay so memorable:

1. People - From the senior management to the wait staff/room service guys, each and everyone appreciates your stay and treats you not only as their guests, but goes beyond and becomes friends. Throughout our entire stay, we truly enjoyed and appreciate the time and effort by each one of the staff members. I spent considerable amount of time in the bar/pool area, and thus thoroughly enjoyed my conversations with Bar staff (Rana saheb and Balaji), along with the smiling services of Mr. Prince (pool area) and the wait staff (Sattar). Please pardon me if I don't mention all the names, however, I extend my gratitude to each and every one of you and would stress that everyone equally played a role is making this trip such a memorable one.

2. Property - Resort is on a small populated by coconut and other plantation, surrounded by clean water around filled with amazing sea life (ideal for beginners who want to explore snorkeling and diving). Resort has 1 main restaurant and another additional restaurant by the pool side which serves wonderful sandwiches, pizza, and the likes during the day time. There is one main bar which connects the entire property and the views. The seating area by the bar is ideal for couples or groups of people to sit back, enjoy a drink and have a conversation. The gym is well equipped to help you burn off those calories that you will intake from one of their fine restaurants. We explored the stingray fishing, spa services, trip to the blue lagoon.

3. Accomodation (Water villa) - Simply amazing. Have all the luxuries you can imagine. These villa's open up into the water lagoon with wait/chest high water. Provided ample opportunity for a swim/snorkel whenever you wanted to. For the brave souls, yes you can go in at night, there is lights available, although not to wander too much away from your villa. Bed, bathroom, and storage facilities are amazing, not once did we feel we are returning back to a small cramped room with luggage and things around. Flat screen tv's, ipod docs connected to the surround sound system in the villa, ample selection of tv channels to keep you entertained if you find yourself in the room.

4. Food/Bar - superb. This is one of the finest hospitality brands, and it was visible in their selection of menus along with the execution of the dishes. We thoroughly enjoyed each and every meal they had on offer. I don't know what else to write about this, I could just spend days thinking of all the meals I had :). Bar is adequately stocked, and people well aware of all the drinks. I had no problems in getting any drink of our choice (available within our plan package), along with various new drinks that we were offered by the guys at the bar.

5. Service - As i mentioned before, this is one of the finest hospitality brands in the world and they do serve you well. People often say you get your money's worth, but I have to say, the service provided and the friendly nature of the staff, can you really put a price to it? Throughout our stay we received exceptional service and attention from each and everyone we came across on a daily basis. Staff are very attentive of their guests and often times approach on their own to ask if we need anything, or suggest if we should do something. My wife and I made a rookie mistake and did not apply sufficient sun screen, which resulted in both of us being roasted red by the end of the 2nd day. The hotel staff approached us, and recommended aloe vera gel to help cool down the skin. They were proactive is recommending it to us and also sent it to our villa. On other instance, after the exhaustive wedding, and spending 3-4 days in the sun, my body finally caught up with me and I had fever. The staff once again noticed it, and went out of their way to provide with medical attention and special meal to assist me eating. And lastly, to celebrate my birthday, my wife arranged for a special dinner table, and once again, the staff helped cater us to our choice and needs/likes without us really asking them to do it.

After all these notes that I mentioned above, I can't think of anything negative about this resort, or the people and the service. I do have a suggestion, however, it is entirely my own thought, and in no way discounts anything that the resort already has/does.

I would have liked to see some option for some group activities. Not all water sport options are feasible for all guests, maybe a small section on the beach for beach volleyball, or beach cricket would help for light afternoon activities. We found some new friends on the island and some group activities would have been perfect to gel and interact.

In the end to summarize, if you are planning on visiting the Maldives, do consider this resort for its fine service and people and the care you will not find anywhere else.

2  Thank samayv

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed and wonderful review of our quaint little resort. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your honeymoon stay with us and will certainly convey your warm words of praise and appreciation to my entire team. Your detailed review will certainly help future guests get a better idea of our resorts facilities. Over and above the luxurious accommodation, care and warmth synonymous with the Taj Group of Hotels, am glad you were able to enjoy and experience some of our motifs which are associated with the water world - namely.

 Our thousand year old Coral reef and the wonderful Coral gardens that you can view from
your villa deck itself.

 A dive to our Shipwreck dive site.

 Participate in our daily evening ritual of Sting Ray feeding

Am glad that you, now have cherished memories of a wonderful holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever you plan your next trip to our part of the water world.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

Vivanta is besk known for thier coral reefs. If you are a lover of the ocean and marine life then this is where you have to be! They have the best dive center with the most amazing divers/people I have ever met! They even have a shipwreck not to far off the island for all the passionate divers out there! We were kicking ourselves for not getting PADI certified before our trip. You can also opt for PADI certification if you stay for more than 3 nights and I highly recommend it as the divers are simply the best!

We stayed at the water villa which was such a dream! I loved every minute of it! The lagoon is a bit rough during high tide with strong currents. I would not recommend swimming/snorkeling too far unless you are a confident swimmer. Going beyond the walls looked way too risky to me. Having said that, the marine life that I saw behind the water villa is normally found 3 meters deep and we saw some amazing fishes at barely 1.2 meters deep at high tide just at the steps of our water villa!

I highly recommend a half wetsuit or at least a full sleeved wet top so as to avoid getting burnt on your back if you plan to spend hours snorkeling like I did! I've come back looking like a fairness shade card!!

The highlight of my stay was the Discover Scuba Dive! I had an awesome time and highly recommend this even if you do not know how to swim. However it is recommended that you are comfortable with snorkeling first.

I would like to specially thank Allwyn for sharing the coral project with us and for making our stay memorable. I would like to mention few other people who made our stay very comfortable: Fraiser, Noella, Lalita, Praveen and Jessy! The diving center has opened a new world to us and their passion is very contagious so thank you Frankie, Scott, Jen and most of all Marcus!

There is only one main restaurant and so choice for meals are limited. They do not have a buffet breakfast but a la carte menus which I did not mind at all. There is not much of a nightlife so if you are looking for a quiet, peaceful island, this is it!

Another highlight of this island is the stingray feeding at 5 pm! This is simply amazing and very safe as long as you stay away from the tails! :)

All and all I would go back mainly for the marine life and the diving center!

Room Tip: Ask for the sunset villas!
1  Thank afrancoelho

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed and wonderful review of our quaint resort. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and will certainly convey your warm words of praise and appreciation to my entire team. Your detailed review will certainly help future guests get a better idea of our resorts facilities. Over and above the luxurious accommodation, care and warmth synonymous with the Taj Group of Hotels, am glad you were able to enjoy and experience some of our motifs which are associated with the water world - namely.

your villa deck itself.

 A dive to our Shipwreck dive site.

 Participate in our daily evening ritual of Sting Ray feeding

Reviewed August 7, 2011

I am a little late on the review of this .We had been to the Taj Vivanta last year on our Honeymoon and it was magical. Taj is unmatched in it's class and the staff and service provided was impeccable. It was a little expensive, but it's worth the money on luxury. WE had a beautful water villa looking into the blue green ocean and we even did ssome sting rray feeding.

The staff is excellent. the infrastructure is superb and the water villas are magical. Truly one of the best experiences of our life.

1  Thank NehaArun
AllwynDrego, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Reviewed July 29, 2011

We have just returned from the most amazing holiday at this beautiful hotel. The staff are gentle and attentive without being intrusive and go out of their way to make sure you are happy.
The food was INCREDIBLE. Every meal was a dining experience of the very highest standard in a relaxed atmosphere (women -no bling required, men - leave your long trousers at home). The presentation of every meal was spectacular and the choice was extensive - we stayed here for 9 days and could easily have had a different choice at every meal, including breakfast. The flavours achieved by the delicate and subtle blend of herbs and spices combined with first class ingredients, cooked to perfection, made every meal a delight. In fact most of my photos are of the food! The wonderful desserts,sorbets and ice cream were to die for. If you are not a foodie, there is also Italian pizza, freshly prepared burgers, risotto and pasta and even (very good) chips. If you are worried about your coffee fix, dont. The expressos and Americanos were excellent too.
We stayed in a deluxe beach villa, which was large and comfortable, with its own decking , sunbeds and hammock...just like the pictures in the brochure. The rooms were cleaned, toiletries refreshed and towels changed twice daily at your convenience.
We had booked half board but after one day we realised that it was best for us to upgrade to All Inclusive. You already know it's expensive - just go for it and then you can relax and not worry about the increasing bill.
The highlight of our week was a (unexpected) complimentary romantic dinner for two on the Moon Deck - a private gazebo on a sandy jetty overlooking the sea, We had prawns, lobster (a whole one each!), snapper, a trio of creme brulee and a bottle of sparkling wine. I will always remember such a wonderful experience.
I would like to compliment Allwyn Drego and his staff (special mention to Sattar, our poolside waiter) for such a beautifully run hotel and thank them for making our holiday so special.

5  Thank cappuccino58
AllwynDrego, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely and detailed review of our quaint resort. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and will certainly convey your gracious words of praise and appreciation to my entire team.

Allwyn Drego

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hembadhu
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Meerufenfushi
Bandos Maldives
Bandos Maldives
#1 of 2 in Bandos

Been to Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives? Share your experiences!