“RELAXED YET ELEGANT DINING WITH GOURMET PIZZA”
Review of La Taverna dei Re

La Taverna dei Re
Ranked #5 of 16 Restaurants in Vinchiaturo
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Albany, New York
“RELAXED YET ELEGANT DINING WITH GOURMET PIZZA”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

If you're looking for an outstanding gourmet pizza with a staff as friendly as your family, an elegant, yet relaxed atmosphere during your sojourn in the Molise, La Taverna del Re "The King's Tavern," is the place for you.

I had noticed their presence online a couple of years ago, but remembered the former proprietors of the "Igloo" restaurant as a pricey option for dinner.

Then came their message on Facebook, and still I neglected to try out this new establishment.

Local friends convinced me that the food was excellent, and we stopped in for the first time last year.

To my surprise, inside an elegant, yet relaxed dining experience awaited me. A wood-fired oven, with two classically friendly Neopolitan friends ran the establishment and literally made me feel as if I was visiting royalty.

My last visit the other evening was no different. Greeted with open ams, offered a variety of dinner, the place was quiet around ten of eight (still early for dinner by Italian standards). Within the hour, the spacious Tavern, with large elegant wooden beams, a large fireplace, stone walls, and paintings of various lords from the past, quickly filled up with families and friends who loved to dine here.

For my dinner I chose a classic pizza I had enjoyed last year which was Cyclopes like. A large, dense circular pizza with an opening in the middle. The large center then had a fresh whole piece of Mozzarella di Buffalo, with fresh tomatoes and greens. A few apertifs were offered, and excellent red wine imbibed.

Substantial and delicious, my friend and I each found this pizza impossible to finish despite our ravenous appetites (excellent take home!)

The entire staff, including family (the wives work here as well), seemed totally delighted with our presence, and the service was prompt. Cooking is totally in view of the dining patrons in he large dining chamber. There is also a more private antechamber for dining, and alongside are the residual "Igloo" structures, for when parties are overflowing. As usual, we were made to feel as honored guests, and the staff, be it Neopolitano or local Molisana residents, were superlatively amicable and efficient.

The prices were relatively low; try to find a gourmet pizza for this price back in the US!

By the time we left, the dining rooms were at capacity, and the parking lot was full. Bursting our belts, we

A welcome addition, indeed.

• Visited July 2013