“Not very Jolly” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jollydays Luxury Camping

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Scrayingham
Jollydays Luxury Camping
St Helens, United Kingdom
“Not very Jolly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Well after being taken to Jollydays in April for my 30th I was most excited for returning.
My partner was being made redundant so I booked a stay, arriving on 4th November as a chance to unwind and get away from it all and relax before the Holiday season was upon us. Just the two of us, a little escape back to somewhere we had such fond memories.

Day 1 (Mon) - We arrived at site and were greeted by the campfire with a complimentary box of chocolates and a smile. Such a lovely welcome, the start of a great week... So I had hoped!!
On arriving at our Deluxe lodge there was a strong waste smell outside the tent and then very damp smell and a wet patch on the floor inside. Given the location and the temperature I expected some dampness but after having the stove burning away for several hours the damp patch still remained. The bathroom towels smelt damp too..
We remained happy and excited, ready to light the bbq and get some tea on the go but unfortunately this was not too straightforward. After looking for a frying pan to cook some bits indoors, it was thick with mould. I text the Jollydays number and a maintenance chap called Steve popped by the tent, he replaced the pan and put a towel over the damp patch. Responsive and helpful but unfortunately there were a further 2 pans with mould. Instead of bothering anyone I just washed them and we got on with the night. We had some food then headed down to the campfire then eventually on arriving back at the tent and going into the bathroom cabin, the most disgusting waste/sewage smell hit us. It was late but it was too bad to leave it so I text the number again and Christian came out and after 5/10 minutes in the bathroom, determined it was the u-bend on the bath tub and that someone would be by in the morning to fix it so as a temporary measure the plug was put in and slightly filled with some water.
We went to settle down for the night and turn down the bed, only to find it was not even made properly with a mouldy pillow and no cover? I decided enough was enough for the first night and leave it till the morning as it was past midnight at this time.

Day 2 - Morning came and after an uncomfortable sleep and falling through the bed slats, I decided to text and ask if someone could pop by the tent. Steve came back and checked the bath and the u-bend and said he would be back later to seal it. I mentioned about the bedding/pillow and bed issue and was told he would make someone aware. About an hour later the housekeeping manageress arrived at our lodge and apologised for the problems. The pillows were replaced and a complimentary bottle of wine and marshmallows were given which were nice but not required. I would have been happy to just have things work as expected or be maintained as not to constantly dampen the holiday. When she returned with the pillows there was a noticeable leak coming into the living area from the bathroom, after the bath had been emptied, she (apologies we were not told her name and she did not give it) went and got some towels and covered the leak. We were told that there had been a hen party staying the lodge we were in and they checked out on Sunday and that the mouldy pillow and pan had happened since then.. It's nice that people try to reassure you but after you have seen a housekeeping/quality check sheet that is left in the lodge and it says that it was last done on 25/10/13, it's hard to feel reassured and I personally am not a fan of dishonesty. I would rather someone just be honest and tell it like it is and I will respect that and deal with it! Mould does not accumulate to that extent in less than 24 hours. We were also told that the smell was the waste pipe come loose outside and that it had been fixed. We never saw maintenance again from that point, there was no sealing of a u-bend?
A pleasant day out was had. We arrived back at site to a message from Jollydays saying they were sorry they missed us and offered us a free 2 night stay for 2014. This was a nice gesture for the inconvenience caused.
The evening closed in and we were getting ready for bed and with the drop in temperature we went to get the spare duvet out the wardrobe. My partner would have just thrown it on the bed but after the foul smell we got when opening the wardrobe I got the torch and was shocked to see something had eaten through the duvet. We put it back and just dealt with the cold, after all it is November so was to be expected! It wasn't helped however with falling through the bed several more times!

Day 3 (Wed) - I text the Jollydays number and asked if someone could pop by when on site. About 10 minutes later Christian arrived and I explained about the spare duvet and the bed. He took the duvet out and explained it was probably a mouse that had eaten through and low and behold, when he was carrying it outside something fell off it... A dead mouse! Nice! Christian took all the spare bedding away and checked the bed and said that someone would be round to fix it later.
Housekeeping arrived again and said "Oh you're getting your moneys worth this week aren't you!..The spare duvet was replaced and we were told someone would be by shortly to fix the bed. Several hours later the housekeeping woman returned with a drill, partially lifted up the mattress, had the drill on for a maximum of 5 seconds, made the bed and said "there, that's fixed now, if it moves again I'll buy you a bed myself"..

Day 4 (Thur) - Well... IT MOVED! Twice in the night! My partner got back in bed from bathroom trips and I went through it! At 06:30 we gave up and just got on the sofa with the fire lit and the duvet. I text the number yet again to say that we would probably be leaving as the bed was still broken and other issues had dampened our stay and the response I got was "I'm very sorry to hear that and understand what you've said"...

All in all what a horrible stay! I would have expected someone in charge to have come by on the Thursday morning to talk to us or just explain what had happened and sincerely apologise but NO?!
The comments from the housekeeping manageress that we were getting our moneys worth was also highly insulting and completely the wrong time to try and make a joke of it! I appreciate she is not a trained plumber or carpenter but still these issues should not have been here! For what we paid, I could have booked a nice 4* hotel for the week or a secret escape somewhere!
I could understand if we were paying £12 a night to pitch a tent but when you're paying for luxury camping and it turns out to be such a nightmare and so stressful, you really have to question what is going on?!
There were other little issues in this so called deluxe.. The hot tap on the bathroom basin was loose so we did not use it. The bathroom door had no handle to close or open from either side so would either get stuck or stay open. The leak from the bath never subsided and was mopped up with spare towels daily.

There was no way that this deluxe lodge was "quality checked" on Sunday.. How can you miss the smells, the mould, A DEAD MOUSE that has soiled and eaten through a duvet and bedding? That mouse had not died in the space of 24 hours, there is no way that smell would have been there after just a day! The duvet was rotten!!!

I feel very let down, upset and generally disappointed. Not a good experience at all and even since we left early yesterday morning, we have still not received any contact.
I suppose the one remembrance I have is the bad back I have had since falling through the bed and being stuck 5+ times! I have never suffered with back problems but thanks to Jollydays, at 30 years of age it's started!

I think Jollydays need to invest in a Customer Services Manager, more housekeeping staff and just generally maintain a better upkeep on these lodges. The flooring was all ripped, it was damp and dingy. If anyone is going to stay in a Deluxe then I would seriously recommend for you to request NOT to stay in D10! To be honest, I would rather recommend for you to save your money and book a hotel or go and pitch your own tent somewhere else!

Room Tip: If you're staying in a Deluxe then request NOT to stay in D10!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
29 Thank Jennifer P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Lancashire England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

13 of us stayed at Jollydays in the Deluxe tents for 2 nights at the beginning of October. All a complete surprise after me saying I wanted an alternative hen do.
We arrived late on the Friday night to lovely twinkly lights and candles lit everywhere. A little apprehensive at first, I was soon in my element as I discovered two beach huts INSIDE the tent! One housed a full kitchen, the other a full bathroom - roll top bath, the works. The four poster bed I was in with my sister was so comfortable and the duvets so warm. Noone complained of cold during the weekend.
My mum bought us the breakfast hamper baskets which I believe were quite expensive but fantastic for the morning after a few wines!
We went pottery painting and clay pigeon shooting as well as a local pub for a few drinks and came back to complete surprise of full on caterers - champagne, canapes - the works!
A brilliant time had by all and would definitely return (wish it allowed dogs though!)
The only downside if I had to say was the tent was very very dark making simple things a bit harder - but then you're in the woods in a tent so just get on with it!

Room Tip: I can't comment on value as I didn't know anything about it! The tea tent is very cute and i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Spent a very happy week here with young children. York and the surrounding area is a great place for children - museums, great roads for cycling, nice small villages to explore, plenty of places to eat and drink. The children loved staying in the tent, we loved a decent bed and the stove. This is glamping not camping and if that's what you are after then you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband had a 2 night stay here after a very stressful few months. It is a great place to de-stress and unwind.
We stayed in a luxury lodge which was spotlessly clean. So cosy at night with candles lit and wood burner going. The roll top bath was lovely!
It is literally a forest so there's lots of wildlife around. We went for a walk and came across rope swings, carvings in trees and dens made from branches etc. We met the owners who told is about the history of the place. All the staff we met were very friendly and regularly checked that everything was ok. The place had a great overall vibe. A great place for couples and families and close to York too. I also highly recommend 'The Three Cups' local pub/restaurant. The good is great. We reluctantly came home feeling very relaxed. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Movia96
jollyglamper, Owner at Jollydays Luxury Camping, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for your great review. we loved having you and can't wait to see you again.
hull uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

we booked to stay a friday/saturday in September for a hen weekend. We booked the deluxe bell tent, Malys, which slept 6. we paid £765 and this included delivery of breakfast baskets both mornings (sausage, bacon, eggs, tomatoes,mushrooms, milk, tea, coffee, butter, fresh bread etc) Although it seems expensive for camping, it worked out at about £63.50 per head per night, which is probably on a par with a B&B or cheap hotel and this was a great experience. The location is stunning, the whole place is shabby chic/vintage countryside with Cath Kidstone-esque bunting and decoration. Our tent had a double room, a room with 2 singles, a small kitchen with gas hob and a bathroom with roll top bath. The lounge slept 2 also (sofa bed) and had dining table and wood burning stove. Tea lights and matches and a bag of wood were provided so we got a nice campfire going and sat outside enjoying a laugh and drinks. We did not arrive until about 8.30pm and sat out until about 1am chatting and laughing, at which point we were asked by a member of staff to take the noise level down, we apologised and moved inside. The pack emailed on booking was really helpful (if a little long to get through) but taking sleeping bags for extra warmth (in september) was a great tip. I was super impressed on the whole with the size of the accomodation and sitting outside with the forest surrounding us was special. the good thing is, Even if it rains, you have cover so you can still sit outside at the table and with the fire roaring! The tea tent and honesty cafe were a lovely touch, the staff were helpful. On our second night, we went and lit the pizza oven and a nice lady from the staff helped us with baking trays and got the fire started. We cooked our 7 pizzas and sat around the communal fire, it was really lovely. We all enjoyed the roll top bath and the water was lovely. I really enjoy camping anyway so found glamping a luxury - if possible, extra lighting would be nice, i agree with some of the comments that the tents can seem a little dark/dhingy, as a group of girls it wasnt too much of an issue but I think it could seem a little gloomy at times or if in a smaller group but the fairy lights and tea lights add a cosy feel. Upon departure, we found we had lost £40 from our £100 bond. We were a little annoyed as we felt this was excessive for noise on one night only. When we were spoken to, we instantly apologised and went inside our tent but we were aware we had "broken the rules" - we spoke with the staff on site about this - we didnt want our money back as such but a warning first would be nice before being stung with a charge - we had been talking about coming back with our husbands and our children and it kind of soured our attitude but the lady was so lovely and understanding and as we had left our tent clean and tidy and had apologised for noise and only been told once she refunded half the charge which we thought was really good customer service as she had listened to why we felt a little aggrieved. As i said, we knew we had been too loud but a warning first would be appreciated and £40 seems a little excessive for a bit of noise for one night on top of the £765 we had already paid out. Most campsites are either familys only, no groups etc...maybe single sex groups (who are likely to make some noise) and families don't mix too well on one site although the tents are very well spaced out but noise seems to travel widely in the forest. Overall, I think what Jolly Days offer is brilliant and I would love to take my little girl there and get her involved in the bushcraft classes offered and wander the nature trails, the staff were very helpful and the breakfast baskets were plentiful and delicious,my only suggestion would be maybe to try and keep the families and the hen/stag groups a little more segregated as it is obvious these groups are there for different reasons. My friend is discussing havig her wedding here as it was a magical place but little tip; go prepared! People who think glamping is total luxury and then moan about the odd bit of dirt etc are unfair and naive - ultimately, it it atill camping in the outdoors with nature and you still need your wellies and your warm gear but sitting around the camp fire in the forest with your friends is a lovely relaxing experience.

Room Tip: The Deluxe bell tents are fab as they sleep 6 but you could take a camp bed etc and it would sleep 7...
1 Thank claire n
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I visited Jollydays for the first time 2 years ago and we had a blast and we stayed again at the weekend, this time with friends in tow. Although I work in hospitality and take all reviews with a pinch of salt, I'll be honest I was still concerned by some of the reviews on this site and worried that it had lost it's magic. The weather wasn't great, very wet, but the camp was even better than I remembered and I am at a loss as to some of the appalling reviews? Staff are lovely, incredibly helpful and everything was very clean and well maintained. We ordered a supper pot on Saturday (ham in cider - yum!) and it was delicious, I really enjoyed not having to cook - real luxury.

I work for a luxury hotel group and have to deal with internet reviews on a daily basis and we have seen a huge rise in the last year in review trolls, often with a vendetta, often writing multiple reviews. This can be incredibly damaging and I have no idea why anybody wants to do this, especially when the information they're giving is just plain wrong!!

Jollydays isn't a hotel and it doesn't pretend to be, it's a camp in the middle of the woods and from what I can see their website makes this abundantly clear. If you visit in the cooler months it will be dark and it will be cold (the stove is fab and it isn't central heating so it's chilly when it goes out) and it will get damp on a morning. If you are thinking about glamping then have realistic expectations and if something isn't to your standard flag it up straight away! I'm sick of reading reviews where people said they didn't mention anything at the time but feel the need to trash a business afterwards - in my experience a bad review often follows a request for money back being refused!

What the team at Jollydays have created is something incredibly special, and the visitor book makes for great reading - guests don't just like this place they are utterly passionate about it! It's a pity businesses aren't allowed to quote from their guest books in their defence! I know how hard it is to motivate people who have had a good time to write a review, we usually only hear from the moaners. However after 20 years in hospitality I am ashamed to say I have never written a review, this is my first ever but I feel so strongly about the way review sites are going that I'm determined it won't be the last!

So keep up the great work Jollydays and don't let the trolls grind you down! I'm off to book again - this time I'm taking the kids for half term - I can;t imagine anything better than Halloween in the woods!

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe tent - facing into the woods.
1 Thank Alana H
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I recently visited Jollydays with a group of friends. Groups are welcome during term time but don't let this put you off if you want to visit with family as all parties were respectful of the11pm noise restriction. The site was a little tricky to find but the staff were very helpful and didn't seem to mind me calling THREE times to confirm directions. We stayed in a deluxe lodge and a bell tent which were both beautiful. Some signs of wear and tear as you would expect from a tent but they were dry, cosy and beautifully decorated. The toilets were clean and the showers powerful with plenty of hot water. There was even a communal hairdryer and socket to plug your straighteners in. The site is perfect for first time campers and those more experienced with its beautiful setting and wildlife. I think it is the little touches that make Jollydays such a fantastic place. The beautiful decoration, children's activities, tea room with honesty tin, hot water bottles, wood burning stove, fairy lights and wellies in case you forget to bring your own. What more could you ask for! I can't wait to visit again with my family.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
jollyglamper, Owner at Jollydays Luxury Camping, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thanks so much for the lovely review, we really appreciate you taking the time to sit and write it and we hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scrayingham
Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection
#14 of 50 in York
Dale Farm
Dale Farm
#1 of 4 in Hunmanby

Been to Jollydays Luxury Camping? Share your experiences!