“WOW! Amazing stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Scrayingham
Jollydays Luxury Camping
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
“WOW! Amazing stay!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband had a 2 night stay here after a very stressful few months. It is a great place to de-stress and unwind.
We stayed in a luxury lodge which was spotlessly clean. So cosy at night with candles lit and wood burner going. The roll top bath was lovely!
It is literally a forest so there's lots of wildlife around. We went for a walk and came across rope swings, carvings in trees and dens made from branches etc. We met the owners who told is about the history of the place. All the staff we met were very friendly and regularly checked that everything was ok. The place had a great overall vibe. A great place for couples and families and close to York too. I also highly recommend 'The Three Cups' local pub/restaurant. The good is great. We reluctantly came home feeling very relaxed. Can't wait to go back.

1 Thank Movia96
jollyglamper, Owner at Jollydays Luxury Camping, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for your great review. we loved having you and can't wait to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
hull uk
Reviewed September 23, 2013

we booked to stay a friday/saturday in September for a hen weekend. We booked the deluxe bell tent, Malys, which slept 6. we paid £765 and this included delivery of breakfast baskets both mornings (sausage, bacon, eggs, tomatoes,mushrooms, milk, tea, coffee, butter, fresh bread etc) Although it seems expensive for camping, it worked out at about £63.50 per head per night, which is probably on a par with a B&B or cheap hotel and this was a great experience. The location is stunning, the whole place is shabby chic/vintage countryside with Cath Kidstone-esque bunting and decoration. Our tent had a double room, a room with 2 singles, a small kitchen with gas hob and a bathroom with roll top bath. The lounge slept 2 also (sofa bed) and had dining table and wood burning stove. Tea lights and matches and a bag of wood were provided so we got a nice campfire going and sat outside enjoying a laugh and drinks. We did not arrive until about 8.30pm and sat out until about 1am chatting and laughing, at which point we were asked by a member of staff to take the noise level down, we apologised and moved inside. The pack emailed on booking was really helpful (if a little long to get through) but taking sleeping bags for extra warmth (in september) was a great tip. I was super impressed on the whole with the size of the accomodation and sitting outside with the forest surrounding us was special. the good thing is, Even if it rains, you have cover so you can still sit outside at the table and with the fire roaring! The tea tent and honesty cafe were a lovely touch, the staff were helpful. On our second night, we went and lit the pizza oven and a nice lady from the staff helped us with baking trays and got the fire started. We cooked our 7 pizzas and sat around the communal fire, it was really lovely. We all enjoyed the roll top bath and the water was lovely. I really enjoy camping anyway so found glamping a luxury - if possible, extra lighting would be nice, i agree with some of the comments that the tents can seem a little dark/dhingy, as a group of girls it wasnt too much of an issue but I think it could seem a little gloomy at times or if in a smaller group but the fairy lights and tea lights add a cosy feel. Upon departure, we found we had lost £40 from our £100 bond. We were a little annoyed as we felt this was excessive for noise on one night only. When we were spoken to, we instantly apologised and went inside our tent but we were aware we had "broken the rules" - we spoke with the staff on site about this - we didnt want our money back as such but a warning first would be nice before being stung with a charge - we had been talking about coming back with our husbands and our children and it kind of soured our attitude but the lady was so lovely and understanding and as we had left our tent clean and tidy and had apologised for noise and only been told once she refunded half the charge which we thought was really good customer service as she had listened to why we felt a little aggrieved. As i said, we knew we had been too loud but a warning first would be appreciated and £40 seems a little excessive for a bit of noise for one night on top of the £765 we had already paid out. Most campsites are either familys only, no groups etc...maybe single sex groups (who are likely to make some noise) and families don't mix too well on one site although the tents are very well spaced out but noise seems to travel widely in the forest. Overall, I think what Jolly Days offer is brilliant and I would love to take my little girl there and get her involved in the bushcraft classes offered and wander the nature trails, the staff were very helpful and the breakfast baskets were plentiful and delicious,my only suggestion would be maybe to try and keep the families and the hen/stag groups a little more segregated as it is obvious these groups are there for different reasons. My friend is discussing havig her wedding here as it was a magical place but little tip; go prepared! People who think glamping is total luxury and then moan about the odd bit of dirt etc are unfair and naive - ultimately, it it atill camping in the outdoors with nature and you still need your wellies and your warm gear but sitting around the camp fire in the forest with your friends is a lovely relaxing experience.

Room Tip: The Deluxe bell tents are fab as they sleep 6 but you could take a camp bed etc and it would sleep 7...
1 Thank claire n
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I visited Jollydays for the first time 2 years ago and we had a blast and we stayed again at the weekend, this time with friends in tow. Although I work in hospitality and take all reviews with a pinch of salt, I'll be honest I was still concerned by some of the reviews on this site and worried that it had lost it's magic. The weather wasn't great, very wet, but the camp was even better than I remembered and I am at a loss as to some of the appalling reviews? Staff are lovely, incredibly helpful and everything was very clean and well maintained. We ordered a supper pot on Saturday (ham in cider - yum!) and it was delicious, I really enjoyed not having to cook - real luxury.

I work for a luxury hotel group and have to deal with internet reviews on a daily basis and we have seen a huge rise in the last year in review trolls, often with a vendetta, often writing multiple reviews. This can be incredibly damaging and I have no idea why anybody wants to do this, especially when the information they're giving is just plain wrong!!

Jollydays isn't a hotel and it doesn't pretend to be, it's a camp in the middle of the woods and from what I can see their website makes this abundantly clear. If you visit in the cooler months it will be dark and it will be cold (the stove is fab and it isn't central heating so it's chilly when it goes out) and it will get damp on a morning. If you are thinking about glamping then have realistic expectations and if something isn't to your standard flag it up straight away! I'm sick of reading reviews where people said they didn't mention anything at the time but feel the need to trash a business afterwards - in my experience a bad review often follows a request for money back being refused!

What the team at Jollydays have created is something incredibly special, and the visitor book makes for great reading - guests don't just like this place they are utterly passionate about it! It's a pity businesses aren't allowed to quote from their guest books in their defence! I know how hard it is to motivate people who have had a good time to write a review, we usually only hear from the moaners. However after 20 years in hospitality I am ashamed to say I have never written a review, this is my first ever but I feel so strongly about the way review sites are going that I'm determined it won't be the last!

So keep up the great work Jollydays and don't let the trolls grind you down! I'm off to book again - this time I'm taking the kids for half term - I can;t imagine anything better than Halloween in the woods!

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe tent - facing into the woods.
1 Thank Alana H
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I recently visited Jollydays with a group of friends. Groups are welcome during term time but don't let this put you off if you want to visit with family as all parties were respectful of the11pm noise restriction. The site was a little tricky to find but the staff were very helpful and didn't seem to mind me calling THREE times to confirm directions. We stayed in a deluxe lodge and a bell tent which were both beautiful. Some signs of wear and tear as you would expect from a tent but they were dry, cosy and beautifully decorated. The toilets were clean and the showers powerful with plenty of hot water. There was even a communal hairdryer and socket to plug your straighteners in. The site is perfect for first time campers and those more experienced with its beautiful setting and wildlife. I think it is the little touches that make Jollydays such a fantastic place. The beautiful decoration, children's activities, tea room with honesty tin, hot water bottles, wood burning stove, fairy lights and wellies in case you forget to bring your own. What more could you ask for! I can't wait to visit again with my family.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
jollyglamper, Owner at Jollydays Luxury Camping, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thanks so much for the lovely review, we really appreciate you taking the time to sit and write it and we hope to see you again soon.
York
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I visited Jollydays recently as part of a hen party group - there were 10 of us so we hired one lodge and one bell-tent. I wasn't sure what to expect about camping in September but I needn't have worried - it was LOVELY! I arrived down a winding road through a tall-tree wood (like driving into an enchanted forest) and into the site. It was pouring with rain but the lodges and tents were warm and toasty once inside and with the fires lit (yes, there are log burning fires in each tent/lodge). The facilities were great with all the cooking facilities, tea sets, crockery, etc. The bell tents have a veranda with a kitchen unit just next to the tent and a private dining area. The interiors are decorated with bunting, fairy lights and tea lights and it looked amazing. The pull-out beds were comfy (and they provide sheets and bedding). It was clean - of course there was some wear to floor and carpets but it is on a campsite, It is to be expected! The sheets and towels were clean, the staff friendly, bringing logs when needed. We had lanterns to use and all-in-all I couldn't think of anything we didn't have. They even provided hot water bottles for a great night's sleep. The lodges even had their own bathrooms with bath/shower and toilet. The shared washrooms were fine and the showers great - hot and plentiful water (better than mine at home in fact) The setting was amazing (I saw deer running through the woods and heard owls at night). It can be a bit muddy if it rains so wellies are a requirement if so, but a bit of mud is all part of the fun of camping! And it was only a very small amount as drainage seemed good. It was a really lovely experience and I would recommend it to others. If you want a hotel, book a hotel. If you want a comfortable, luxury camping experience amongst the peace, wildlife and trees of North Yorkshire, try this instead. Only about 8 miles from York and Streamline taxi service was very accommodating for travel into York and back. I would definitely go again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
A lovely review. thank you, please come and see us again soon!
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed in a deluxe lodge and a deluxe bell tent and it was fantastic!! Even the rain didn't dampen our stay. Will definitely go again. Lovely Friendly staff. We where there for a hen party but its also a great family hideaway. We also went into York for the day and taxis are very reasonable to we used a firm called streamline. Make sure you take warm clothes as it can get quite chilly but that is to be expected

• Stayed September 2013
We're are really happy you had a lovely time, in spite of all the rain! we hope to see you again soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the luxury lodge tents. The tents are lovely, and it's definitely glamping! I was concerned prior to going with some of the negative reviews on here, but you need to remember you are still in a 'tent'. Our tent was lovely and cosy and clean, loved the decor. We had lots of rain on the first night, and the tents did leak a little, and felt a bit damp, but I think this is to be expected. The staff were helpful and friendly, and we often saw them around camp.
We had a great time, I'll definitely be returning to Jollydays!
One tip would be to arrive in daylight, one of our group arrived in the dark, and it was very hard to find.

• Stayed September 2013
Many thanks for the lovely review. lets hope it's lovely and sunny next time you come!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scrayingham
Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Holiday Inn Express York
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel Indigo York
#3 of 47 in York
The Talbot Hotel Malton

Been to Jollydays Luxury Camping? Share your experiences!