“Fantastic!!! 5 Stars...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Scrayingham
Jollydays Luxury Camping
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!!! 5 Stars...”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I visited Jollydays for the first time 2 years ago and we had a blast and we stayed again at the weekend, this time with friends in tow. Although I work in hospitality and take all reviews with a pinch of salt, I'll be honest I was still concerned by some of the reviews on this site and worried that it had lost it's magic. The weather wasn't great, very wet, but the camp was even better than I remembered and I am at a loss as to some of the appalling reviews? Staff are lovely, incredibly helpful and everything was very clean and well maintained. We ordered a supper pot on Saturday (ham in cider - yum!) and it was delicious, I really enjoyed not having to cook - real luxury.

I work for a luxury hotel group and have to deal with internet reviews on a daily basis and we have seen a huge rise in the last year in review trolls, often with a vendetta, often writing multiple reviews. This can be incredibly damaging and I have no idea why anybody wants to do this, especially when the information they're giving is just plain wrong!!

Jollydays isn't a hotel and it doesn't pretend to be, it's a camp in the middle of the woods and from what I can see their website makes this abundantly clear. If you visit in the cooler months it will be dark and it will be cold (the stove is fab and it isn't central heating so it's chilly when it goes out) and it will get damp on a morning. If you are thinking about glamping then have realistic expectations and if something isn't to your standard flag it up straight away! I'm sick of reading reviews where people said they didn't mention anything at the time but feel the need to trash a business afterwards - in my experience a bad review often follows a request for money back being refused!

What the team at Jollydays have created is something incredibly special, and the visitor book makes for great reading - guests don't just like this place they are utterly passionate about it! It's a pity businesses aren't allowed to quote from their guest books in their defence! I know how hard it is to motivate people who have had a good time to write a review, we usually only hear from the moaners. However after 20 years in hospitality I am ashamed to say I have never written a review, this is my first ever but I feel so strongly about the way review sites are going that I'm determined it won't be the last!

So keep up the great work Jollydays and don't let the trolls grind you down! I'm off to book again - this time I'm taking the kids for half term - I can;t imagine anything better than Halloween in the woods!

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe tent - facing into the woods.
1 Thank Alana H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I recently visited Jollydays with a group of friends. Groups are welcome during term time but don't let this put you off if you want to visit with family as all parties were respectful of the11pm noise restriction. The site was a little tricky to find but the staff were very helpful and didn't seem to mind me calling THREE times to confirm directions. We stayed in a deluxe lodge and a bell tent which were both beautiful. Some signs of wear and tear as you would expect from a tent but they were dry, cosy and beautifully decorated. The toilets were clean and the showers powerful with plenty of hot water. There was even a communal hairdryer and socket to plug your straighteners in. The site is perfect for first time campers and those more experienced with its beautiful setting and wildlife. I think it is the little touches that make Jollydays such a fantastic place. The beautiful decoration, children's activities, tea room with honesty tin, hot water bottles, wood burning stove, fairy lights and wellies in case you forget to bring your own. What more could you ask for! I can't wait to visit again with my family.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
jollyglamper, Owner at Jollydays Luxury Camping, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thanks so much for the lovely review, we really appreciate you taking the time to sit and write it and we hope to see you again soon.
York
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I visited Jollydays recently as part of a hen party group - there were 10 of us so we hired one lodge and one bell-tent. I wasn't sure what to expect about camping in September but I needn't have worried - it was LOVELY! I arrived down a winding road through a tall-tree wood (like driving into an enchanted forest) and into the site. It was pouring with rain but the lodges and tents were warm and toasty once inside and with the fires lit (yes, there are log burning fires in each tent/lodge). The facilities were great with all the cooking facilities, tea sets, crockery, etc. The bell tents have a veranda with a kitchen unit just next to the tent and a private dining area. The interiors are decorated with bunting, fairy lights and tea lights and it looked amazing. The pull-out beds were comfy (and they provide sheets and bedding). It was clean - of course there was some wear to floor and carpets but it is on a campsite, It is to be expected! The sheets and towels were clean, the staff friendly, bringing logs when needed. We had lanterns to use and all-in-all I couldn't think of anything we didn't have. They even provided hot water bottles for a great night's sleep. The lodges even had their own bathrooms with bath/shower and toilet. The shared washrooms were fine and the showers great - hot and plentiful water (better than mine at home in fact) The setting was amazing (I saw deer running through the woods and heard owls at night). It can be a bit muddy if it rains so wellies are a requirement if so, but a bit of mud is all part of the fun of camping! And it was only a very small amount as drainage seemed good. It was a really lovely experience and I would recommend it to others. If you want a hotel, book a hotel. If you want a comfortable, luxury camping experience amongst the peace, wildlife and trees of North Yorkshire, try this instead. Only about 8 miles from York and Streamline taxi service was very accommodating for travel into York and back. I would definitely go again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
A lovely review. thank you, please come and see us again soon!
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed in a deluxe lodge and a deluxe bell tent and it was fantastic!! Even the rain didn't dampen our stay. Will definitely go again. Lovely Friendly staff. We where there for a hen party but its also a great family hideaway. We also went into York for the day and taxis are very reasonable to we used a firm called streamline. Make sure you take warm clothes as it can get quite chilly but that is to be expected

• Stayed September 2013
We're are really happy you had a lovely time, in spite of all the rain! we hope to see you again soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the luxury lodge tents. The tents are lovely, and it's definitely glamping! I was concerned prior to going with some of the negative reviews on here, but you need to remember you are still in a 'tent'. Our tent was lovely and cosy and clean, loved the decor. We had lots of rain on the first night, and the tents did leak a little, and felt a bit damp, but I think this is to be expected. The staff were helpful and friendly, and we often saw them around camp.
We had a great time, I'll definitely be returning to Jollydays!
One tip would be to arrive in daylight, one of our group arrived in the dark, and it was very hard to find.

• Stayed September 2013
Many thanks for the lovely review. lets hope it's lovely and sunny next time you come!
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Unlike many of the other people on here our tent was very clean, the mugs were a bit stained and that's about it. We had our own toilet and bath/shower which all worked great, only problem is if your with friends they can hear you pee lol we spent our last night around the campfire which was great because everyone had checked out on the Sunday so we had the place to ourselves pretty much. As for the tea tent it wasn't what we expected.... A few drinks, some tea bags and 2 cakes, I also couldn't see a price list.

We spent the first two nights there as just 2 of us and we had a great time, board games in front of the log burner :) the last night our in laws joined us and they both loved it. We would defiantly go again.

A few tips bring some warm clothes it does get nippy later on in the year, make full use of the hot water bottles and don't worry the owls are loud but they won't get you!!!

So all in all yes I would recommend this place, great for couples, families and friends :) it's very close to York which is a bonus and its pretty much a DIY holiday, as long as your respectful of the few rules the staff leave you to it.

Lastly avoid the pizza shop in the village it's awful!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the luxury lodge!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to review us. Its a pity about the pizza place! we do have a list of recommended places to eat and it isn't on it! Hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Stay in a bell tent with husband 2 kids and a baba! Yes we had a great time in the forest, kids loved the gruffalo experience sitting around the camp fire and the pizza oven is amazing! Tea tent great idea, with all its quirkyness, and the overall idea is fab! Sadly and ironically the only thing that lets Jolly days down is the tents and toilets/shower s! We also ( as another guest described ) felf we had come to jolly days 3 years to late! Lets say there's more shabby than chic! It all needs closing this winter and giving a real overhaul! Everything is tired and either shabby, filthy, mouldy, damp or broken and chipped! Yes there's shabby chic but not excuse for just simply broken lanterns or ripped mold covered plastics around sinks and tents! In fact it would look smarter and cleaner if they just lost the mouldy ( Cath kiddson ) plastic s and really tired old blankets in tea tent, just leave the sinks bare and the hay bales as hay bales no plastic that moulds and blankets that smell damp! One tent clearly needs replacing and has been filled in with filler in the roof and is visible and obvious not luxury! Most reviews are right the tents are dirty and worn, so are all the beds and bedding! I get its camping and in the woods but we are talking huge dead moths stuck to the fly nets and stuck up in the ceiling fly nets, they can be cleaned away there is no excuse for this! This is luxury and the best luxury you can offer in a forest is at the least cleanliness! The main problem here or how it looks from the outside is the owners have lost there love, because A. They seem to be having the same complaint here on trip advisor and not answering or dealing with the concerns, as I have read the same story back in July and have gone some 6 weeks later to find the same story! B. Classic mistake the owners where no where to be seen, not once did I see them and that's when problems start. First rule of business YOU have to be running the ship and leading the team not pulling the strings but taking centre stage, so your love and passion breads behaviour! When the captains not sailing the ship the ship sinks and for me even a daily walk about, would only take an hour, then delegating the tasks at hand to a team could be all it needs! We would return to the camp in the hope it was the end if the season and due to weather and circumstance we cane at the wrong time, and in oct this place is closed for season and totally given a spruce . No one s asking for £1000s pounds in renovation but maintance and cleanliness is not a ask when the first word is luxury and the second is £275 for to nights simply camping not a hotel and that is hotel prices!

4 Thank 1help
jollyglamper, Owner at Jollydays Luxury Camping, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
It’s a shame this guest did not call the number given (available 24/7, if dark, or don’t want to leave tent, or can’t see staff on the 15 acre camp) or speak to staff, as we understand wear and tear is considerable in the woodland camp environment, and we have a store of equipment to replace anything worn, we’ve missed, or guests are not happy with. It is extremely frustrating not to be told of any problems the vast majority of which if we are informed, is gladly sorted out very quickly to guests satisfaction.
We do take feedback extremely seriously and collate comments and as it happens, a programme of works is carried out in the winter (if not feasible before) taking feedback into account. The bell tents, which this guest stayed in, are replaced new EVERY year. The patches are the result of guests requests earlier in the seasons to move the stoves
Regarding owners not being present, we have a very able team, and the weekend of this visit the housekeeping manager was there all day Friday, and all day Sunday; the maintenance manager was there all day Friday, all day Saturday, overnight on Saturday and all day Sunday. The owners as it happens were there on Friday till 8.30pm seeing in guests, 2am Saturday and again 9.30 Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon (as well as less senior members of staff over the weekend)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scrayingham
Hazlewood Castle & Spa
The Little Hide - Grown Up Glamping
Dale Farm
Dale Farm
#1 of 4 in Hunmanby

Been to Jollydays Luxury Camping? Share your experiences!