Barefoot Cay Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
CoCo View Resort(French Harbour)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Cay View(Coxen Hole)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Puerta Azul(Sandy Bay)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmeal planour honeymoondive shopwest endbedroom bungalowapple tvdive stafffull kitchenromance packagemeal packagecouples massagepersonalized serviceguest servicesprivate islandgrocery storedive sitesthe kitchen staff
Reviewed July 12, 2007

The most AMAZING place!!! I cannot rave enough about Barefoot Cay. We too, decided to book from online photos and felt very skeptical about what we would actually get. As soon as we arrived, we were warmly greeted by the owners Milesse and John. The room was exactly the picture perfect example we saw online and were soooo impressed with the bountiful floral arrangements around the room. I especially recommend this place to honeymooners who want a beautiful romantic private place to go. I was also impressed when learning that what they use to spray the sand flies is biodegradable and safe. Especially since I'm a huge eco supporter and I know the majority of the resorts here usually use gnarly chemicals. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were some of the most delicious dishes we had had on the island. We were amazed how inexpensive they were since we stayed our first week at West End (loved it too) and ate at almost every restaurant, had satisfactory meals and a pretty big bill to follow. They gave us a tasty bottle of champagne to welcome us, showed us all the complementary snorkel, kayak, movies, and games should we ever want. Every employee was so incredibly nice and genuinely interested in our happiness. They took care of our every need. Travel to and from the Cay is so easy by either renting a car from Santos or just hopping an inexpensive cab ride right on the street. I’ll never forget my husband and I doing a dance of joy in celebration of choosing the best place ever for our honeymoon. Beautiful memories for years to come! Thanks everyone!!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cranebirds
Reviewed July 7, 2007

One word comes to mind when my family looks back and remembers the weeks we stayed at Barefoot Cay "COMFORT!"
We've been going to Roatan since "03", but it wasn't until this year we found this gem on the island. If you want all the comforts of home that we have here in the States, then Barefoot Cay would be a recommendation from our family of four. Travelling with an 11 and 14 yr. old, safety was at the top of our list as one of the necessities we had to have. The location is perfect to be able to get around the island in any one day. And the setting for the bungalows is paradise on earth. We loved the palapa and getting up in the morning and walking around this gorgeous deck, which seemed like a private getaway in itself. In the mornings as we would walk out and enjoy the R&R of the hammocks, we could see tropical fish swimming in the crystal aqua waters. One day I wanted to hop up on the hammock and I noticed which appeared to be a small child's stuffed toy, was actually a real parrot. Just as I was going to lift it off, IT FLEW AWAY! I just stood there in amazement as this beautiful bird allowed me to admire it from a close distance. You never know what is just around the corner. My family especially enjoyed the parrots that would whistle when you walked by! It's been two weeks since we've returned home here to the States and today my daughter mentioned how she wished she could be swimming in the gorgeous pool at this luxurious resort. The staff always had a smile and a willingness to do whatever they could to make this a memorable vacation for it's guests. Amazing how each and everyone of them knew what your needs were at any given time. The snorkeling is awesome and can be a short boat drive away, or, you can swim and snokel right at the Cay.! Would my family recommend this little piece of paradise? ABSOLUTELY!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank missionary7
Reviewed July 7, 2007

I took my niece and nephew to Barefoot Cay to celebrate their high school graduations. We had a wonderful time and appreciated the personal attention we received from John, Milesse, Santos, Haydee, Carolina, and all the Bayfooot Cay staff. Everyone made us feel welcome and at home from the minute we arrived until the time we left the island. We enjoyed the quiet, low-key, private atmosphere. Our bungalow was perfect…the views were gorgeous and the ocean was always changing. The staff went out of their way to take us snorkeling, make dinner reservations, recommend sites to visit on Roatan, and arrange transportation. The pool was never crowded during our stay…usually we were the only ones swimming. We ate most dinners at the Cay and were very pleased…Cheryl, Carmen, and Juana did a wonderful job preparing and serving each meal…we also had fun eating at Gio’s and the Bay Islands Beach Resort. If you want a peaceful, relaxing week away from crowds…Barefoot Cay is the perfect location.

2  Thank josefina51
Reviewed July 2, 2007

This is one of the best exclusive vacations we've had, and for a fraction of the price of luxury resorts...

If you're looking for an all inclusive resorts that arrange activities all day for tons of people, this is not for you. But if you like privacy, exclusive service, and people who care about their guests and love what they do, this is the place. No, there is no beach... Roatan though is not a beach place.

We went there to scuba dive during the day and relax at night... we got everything we were looking for. We went to other resorts during our stay and were SO HAPPY to return to Barefoot at night!

I don't understand people who write bad reviews on this place. I think it's people who did not do their research before booking and have expectations of a carribean resorts for the "masses"...

Anyway John, Milesse and Santos went out of their way to make everything right for us. We really appreciated their care and passion about people and what they do.

So... if you're looking to scuba dive during the day and have beautiful surroundings at night (great pool!) in a very romantic and private setting, this is the place. We very very highly recommend it to anyone. If you're looking for party atmosphere and hundreds of tourist just like you with service people who don't know your name or don't care, go somewhere else more popular!!!

But if you're looking for a private, romantic environment with beautiful scuba diving, this IS paradise.

For the ones who write about garbage... this is the view of the government's owned land next to Barefoot Cay (which they are trying to solve desperately). Just don't turn your head that way! it's a 10 degree angle anyway!! That's it, problem solved!!!

Thank you John and Milesse for making our vacation so perfect.

PS: The egg sandwich is out of this world!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Picot
Reviewed July 2, 2007

I wanted to go someplace very special for my 40th birthday and did a lot of research on the resorts on Roatan. Decided on Barefoot for several reasons and I’m so thrilled that I made the right choice for me. I was first impressed with their website. I called with some questions and Carolina was so nice and helpful that I just knew this was the place to go. Being fair complected, I liked that the pool had a cover and was instrumental in helping me make my decision.

John picked us up from the airport. He’s easy going and has a great sense of humor. We were greeted with a drink and given the tour by Milesse. She is so personable and as she showed us around Barefoot, we felt immediately like we were part of the gang there. The website has great pictures but I was even more impressed with the bungalow as we settled in. Milesse and John’s attention to detail and creature comforts from the cookware and kitchen supplies to the beach mat in the closet was a joy to discover. Can’t even describe how much I enjoyed the Balinese showers. So far from reality to shower under the sun and moon and stars with a nice breeze. Now I’m spoiled.

The ladies who take care of the rooms did a great job and we were pleasantly surprised to find fresh flowers in the room through out the week. Talk about pampered, they even cut up the fresh fruit for us that was in the room.

While the cay is beautiful, I have to say it was the staff that really made the difference contributing to a nice place to stay and having fun. Santos, Haydee and Carolina were always helpful and fun to be around. Being our first time to Roatan, they helped us with what to do and where to go.

I’m a vegetarian and that was no problem. Carmen, Juana, Cheryl and the other cooks always came up with something great for me. Even serving me cake with candles and singing me happy birthday along with hugs and kisses! I was so touched! They are always wearing a big smile and love what they do, so refreshing!

We rented a car several days and went exploring the island. Ate at several restaurants in West End that were all good. But really the food at Barefoot was consistently the best. Big Cannibal’s burritos were my favorite in the West End. They took us to Eldon’s grocery where you can get just about anything you want, even tofu and a good selection of canned soy/vego products! So we had drinks, snacks, and prepared a few meals. But really the ladies there cook way better than I do so it was a no brainer decision on where to eat!

We went diving most days and like that Subway is right there, so convenient. Dive master Ven & Kelly our boat captain were so cool and we enjoyed the diving, especially Mary’s Place and Prince Albert. We did a surface interval at another dive resort that confirmed we were glad to be at Barefoot with a few friendly people and not on a crowded beach and large cattle boat. Diving and snorkeling right off the palapa is also nice. Several large puffer fish were under the two sunken boats. An eagle ray cruised through and there are quite a few fish. Of course followed by a nap in the hammock over the water.

Since there are just a handful of bungalows we enjoyed that it was not crowded. And being so few people, everyone was friendly and we were able to get to know the other guests and enjoyed their company.

It was so relaxing, the ocean view was great and the wind kept us cool and comfortable. I was perfectly happy laying in bed looking out the window or relaxing on the patio enjoying the tropical plants, trees, and watching the hermit crab races. One day was particularly clear and we could see the mainland fairly well. Hear that’s unusual so we were lucky.

The ground crew guys were always busy raking and cleaning up the sand and the keeping the area nice. All of the guys who will take you back and forth from the cay by boat are always quick to get you and friendly.

I especially like that John and Milesse are easily accessible in case you need anything and definitely encourage you to ask. Last but not least, we fell in love with Havana, who is definitely a ham and a real sweetie.

Had a fabulous time and looking forward to our next trip to Barefoot Cay.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends