“Fantasy Island Beach day from Island Marketing - excursion off of cruise ship”

Fantasy Island Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
Grand Blanc, Michigan
“Fantasy Island Beach day from Island Marketing - excursion off of cruise ship”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We booked this from the website for Island marketing and was a little concerned of booking this outside of the cruise ship. It was perfect and we were so glad we did! The Fantasy Island resort is complete with monkeys who will take food out of your hand, huge iguanas, sand/hermit crabs, and good snorkeling. We got one of the cabanas/beach beds and it was a really out of a movie. Perfect weather, comfortable bed to read and sun bath in, good snorkeling, and clear water.
We loved our driver and found out her sister runs this excursion. The driver waited the entire time at the resort for us and explained the history, customs, and why she loved Roatan. It was a little run down but still nice and we felt very safe the entire time. We had such a relaxing and good time there we plan on going back and just staying there.
We liked the fact everything the resort had was included but be aware if you wanted to kayak they only have ONE. Another couple we came with was very disappointed that they had to wait 4 hours to get it since they only had one kayak. The hammock they also say they have is torn so don't plan on using that. But for the price and how nice it was it was totally worth every penny.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Very nice place with an amazing location.We were a bit concerned at first about the reviews that have been posted here, but we were surprisingly happy with the hotel. The hotel is a bit run down, but still clean with a very comfortable size of rooms. We had an amazing view from our balcony and the food was good (you could always have a fresh piece of meat of fish prepared and the salad bar is also really nice! and a s mentioned before...the ice cream is delicious).
We also had a wonderful experience with the diving school!

Toronto
Reviewed September 11, 2010

My friends and I literally just went to soak on the sun and we did that! I didn't know what to expect since this was my first time to Roatan...

It was amazing! The beach is gorgeous! The staff was nice and friendly and ever so helpful! The room was always kept clean, sometimes the toilet wouldn't work but you have to understand this is a 3rd world country and it's not a hot destination spot yet...it will be soon though...

Trust me just to relax this is the place to be...

Beware of annoying old Italians hitting on the young girls...gross....

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
charlotte, nc
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I have been going to Roatan for 11 years at least 1X/year. I had never stayed at Fantasy but have heard all the horror stories. The place is a little run down so set your expectations correctly. Some times the hot water doesn't work; you are in a third world country after all. What I will say is the staff was terrific, the dive ops were top notch (warm towels, nice people, hot dock showers), and the food was very good (far better than other places I have stayed).

They currently are running a special for $500/week all inclusive. You can't beat the deal.............

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank roatandonna
Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Do not go there now, it definitely needs a complete renewal.

1 Thank davidemario

Travelers are raving about these French Harbour hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We just returned from Fantasy Island tonight.

The staff was excellent starting with Carlos, the manager. He tried his best to be accommodating with property that is totally lacking in good maintenance. The bartender, the wait staff, the dive staff...all were fabulous. The only problem was I was missing over $100 out of my purse and my credit card was stolen from my wallet. I didn't know about the "safe" you could rent at the front desk. The rest of the workers can thank that one person for no tip...no cash and nowhere to get it. We did have a problem with the assistance offered by the personnel at the front desk. One in particular was not friendly and no one told us about storing our valuables with them...oh well, another lesson learned.

We switched rooms once only to decide that a functioning air conditioner was not in our immediate future. Not surprising...no filters. We cleaned ours as best we could so that air could pass, but slept miserably in the heat for an entire week. The drain to the shower actually ran right to the ground below us...you could see the ground from our shower. I saw in one review where someone had cleaned the sliding glass door with a washcloth...washcloth???? We had none. The rooms, the mattresses, the linens, all were in pitiful shape.

The food was marginal at best, but I suspect the kitchen staff was doing the best they could with a small budget. The ice cream WAS great...good thing, I lived on it for a week. Every single thing was maintained poorly. The sand fleas or noseeums or whatever they were absolutley ate us alive even sprayed with bug spray. The monkeys were cute, but yes, they will take things out of your purse, steal your camera and drink your beer. Actually I found them a delight and fun to watch. The Watusi were, I suppose, native, and did not offend me, nor did the Iguana.

We are all divers and I simply cannot imagine what you would do in Roatan, if you were not. We made a trip in to the farmacia and I agree with another review...the "town" was downright scary. The diving was not nearly as good as we have had in other resorts. Visability was not great probably due to fairly high wind, and there were not that many fish. No shark...probably because they feed them twice a day where you go for the shark dive in ripping current. We did see quite a few seahorses, which are always a delight.

Overall, I will not stay at Fantasy Island again. If I go to Roatan, I will review the accommodations more closely.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BigBeck
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 15, 2010

I really don't understand what some people expect when they travel to third world countries. There are quite a few animals but they add to the charm, not the smell. Everyone loves the monkeys that swing throughn the trees and come down for pictures and a treat. There are also peacocks, a few large iguana, deer, geese and Watusa (a rabbit sized rodent related to guinea pigs).

The staff including Carlos the general manager are very attentive and will go out of their way to make sure you have whatever you need. The dive operation is excellent and you get three full boat dives per day (not, as some other operations do, drop you off on the way back to the dock and call that a separate boat dive). The dive masters are very attentive and will find all kinds of critters for you. I had never seen a pipe fish so I asked and got to see 7 during our two week stay.

They food was plentiful and tastey. Only the pickiest eaters should have a problem finding something that they will enjoy. The soups were, well souper : ) . Grerat flan and very good ice cream were available every day. The meal hours were 7 - 9:30, 12 - 2:30 and 6:30 - 9 pm (not the very limited hours mentioned by one reviewer).

The pool is very nice and the beaches are awesome. There is great snorkelling right along the beach or, swim out from the gazebo to the red buoy (3 minutes) to a small reef which rises to within a few feet of the surface for great snorkelling. We saw 7 lobsters, permit, puffer fish, black margate, lionfish, spotter drum, sand divers, grouper, trumpet fish and all the typical small reef fish.

Be sure to do a night dive on the wreck of the Prince Albert - we found a large moray as well as an octopus there on one dive. Continue your dive on the small reef and then swim back to the gazebo. We found a second octopus on the slope right in front of the gazebo and he sat still for about 20 pictures. Take the small skiff from the dive dock when you dive the wreck and ask them to drop you over the wreck rather than dropping you at the gazebo since that will give you more time at the wreck.

The hotel could use some work but it is a fantastic bargain for the price you pay. Ask for rooms in the newer section (rooms 120+ and 220+ to the left of the lobby as you face it) since they are in better shape.

The original owner is taking back control from the Priviledge Hotel group who has run the resort for the last couple of years and has promissed to make improvents starting in October. Hopefully he'll do this and the resort will be even better.

If you need a 5 star resort go elsewhere but for a great time at a fantastic price gib=ve Fantasy Island a try.

1 Thank sirto
Henry Morgan Resort
Henry Morgan Resort
#10 of 14 in West Bay
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Fantasy Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!