“Tropical Paradise for Scuba Divers” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fantasy Island Beach Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Fantasy Island Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
Bronx, New York
“Tropical Paradise for Scuba Divers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed as a member of a scuba diving group. Facilities and staff were excellent for scuba diving. Rooms were pleasant, spacious with direct access to the beach. Bathroom showers need updating (water temperature was unreliable). All inclusive plan was a great deal, with all meals and drinks included; great assortment of entrees and desserts, fresh fruits and salads.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank SharonB3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I will never return - in the seven days we were there, we lost power twice, had to take cold showers three times and out of 20+ meals, my husband was only able to get a diet coke for three of them (he can only drink diet sodas and the only diet they offer is coke). The "all inclusive" drinks really isn't and not even a cheap bourbon is offered. Food is eh, vegatables were usually good, starches were hit or miss and proteins were the cheapest and poorest cuts available. More often than not, we had to choke down the least objectionable protein just to have it. The free wi-fi only covers a very small section of the lobby which is mostly the main walkway. The inside dining room is not air conditioned nor does it have ceiling fans so most meal times were uncomfortable. The rooms are large and once they give you the remote, the AC does work (our room was a sauna when we walked in and it required a trip back to the desk to find out that it can only be operated with a remote). Think twice before you say that living with salt water in the shower and sink is acceptable. Soap and shampoo do not work the same way and I rarely ever felt clean.

The dive operation is top-notch! Daren, Nelson and Kevin were excellent and the diving operation is this hotel's only saving grace. Rumor has it that Fantasy Island is shutting down for 6 months which may cause a great diving operation to be ruined but if the hotel doesn't do something to improve it won't matter.

Nick, from Fantasy Island Reservations, was difficult to work with, rude and flat out LIED to us about the conditions at the hotel. I emailed him about some concerns that I had based on reviews I had read and his reply was "I am here with 18 divers and everything is great." Everything was NOT great!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank N2Whales

Travelers are raving about these French Harbour hotels

Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is the second time we have been to Fantasy Island. The first time was a few years ago, and we were very happy, even though it's not a 5 star resort. We went to dive and it was really good diving. So, we went back this month, and oh, how things have changed. First off, they didn't pick us up from the airport, even though two different locals called about 45 minutes apart. All the other travelers were gone and just my husband stood outside. Since we'd already paid for airport transfers, I wasn't going to pay for a taxi. A family, who lives in MA and is fixing up a home on Roatan, was at the airport, and they took us to Fantasy Island. When I confronted the manager at FI, she said we were a no show. What?!?!? I was standing right in front of her, for God's sake. She showed me a sheet of names on it, that did have our names listed, as coming in at 12:15. Our flight, from Houston didn't leave until 1:06. I told her that, and even though she had wrong info, she still called us no shows. I asked her to explain why she didn't send the bus, when the resort got two calls from the airport, saying we were waiting, and she just said we were a no show. DUH! No sense continuing that, with her. Next, we checked in, no help with luggage, and we were on the second floor. I discovered there was no hot water, in the shower, but had it in the sink. Reported it..."We'll fix it right away." No fix. Next day, no hot water. Reported it..."We'll fix it." No fix. Next day, the same. Finally I had to go face to face with the manager, again. She said, "We'll fix it." T told her she knew just as well as I did, that it would not be fixed. So, she said, she would check to see which rooms were empty and we would HUNT for a room that had hot water. I just looked at her and said, "Excuse me? We're going to HUNT for a room with hot water?!?" She casually said "Yes." I couldn't believe my ears. Did find a room with hot water, a working air conditioner and a patio door that locked, since the room was on the first floor. On that Tuesday, I was finally happy, because I had hot water to take a shower! The food was good, but not many choices and hardly any chocolate desserts! Free drinks at the bar was a plus. Not all drinks, but beer and a long list of tropical drinks were free. Free Wi-Fi, but only in the office/bar area, and there was a computer set up for those who didn't have their own.
The dive operation was outstanding. Great locking drying shed. We did have to set up our own gear, but that's not a problem for us. Pedro and Miguel were absolutely wonderful. It was very choppy, and Miguel and Pedro worked their butts off to make sure we got back on the boat without getting hurt. The waves were 4-6 feet. Even though the waves were high, there were no currents, to speak of, at depth. We saw a wide variety of critters. No sharks, but eagles rays, turtles, toad fish, several sea horses of different colors, many big green morays, French, gray and queen angel fish, spotted drums, a nice little wreck, called Mr. Bud, and few lionfish, because they are keeping right on top of killing them. I was not disappointed with the diving, as I was in November, in Bonaire. Roatan diving blew Bonaire right out of the water! Pardon the pun. The water was only about 73, so a 3mm wetsuit was needed. There was also free shore diving. For those who like to beach it, they have a very nice, sandy beach, as well as a pool. I saw many people snorkeling right in front of the resort. I didn't, so don't really know if there was anything to see.

Room Tip: Before just checking into the room they assign you, ask them to show you the room. While the person...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank omainer04270
Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We just returned from a week in April 2013 at Fantasy Island. We travel all over on dive trips and this was one of the best vacations we had. The resort is located on a private island of 21 acres. It's truely a nature lover's paradise. We toured the main island of Roatan and there is NO place that compares to the property that Fantasy Island sits on. The trees and plants are gorgeous, beaches are clean and crystal clear water to snorkel in right off shore. The rooms were clean, the food was excellent and nice variety. Meals were served on time, staff was very friendly. Free internet in lobby. Pool tables, bonfire on beach, free kayaks, dive boats and dive staff were great. Dive sites not far from resort, lot of beautiful underwater life. And the best part of staying there were the birds and animals at the resort. Peacocks that let us hand feed them, a family of 3 monkeys, the baby was on the mom's back the whole time. They let us hand feed them and touch them. There's an area at the resort where the animals gather each day for lunch in the gardens where the staff feeds them. The front desk arranged for a taxi driver we hired for 1/2 day to take us on island tour. This is certainly a resort we will go back to. Nice lounge chairs to sit on beach. Great value!! I was just looking at the photos we took, as we miss the place already! Kandis

Room Tip: Almost all their rooms have a good view of sea. The rooms were average, but very clean. Refrig...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travel24k
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

April 20/13 Just returned from a week at Fantasy Island. The hotel is under new management and they are doing all the right things to restore visitor confidence. This is an older hotel but the staff keep it very clean. The beach is raked and cleaned every day. The rooms are slowly going to be renovated. In short it is a great place for a quiet enjoyble vacation. There are no people trying to sell you time shares, wood carvings, ugly paintings. It is just what a quiet relaxing beach should be. Just the sound of the wind and surf. It is an all inclusive resort and the food and bar are included. When it comes to the diving facilities you will find none better anywhere in the world. They have four large dive boats that allow divers loads of space to put on equipment. There is also a storage room beside the dive shop so you do not have to lug your wet items back to your room. You just hang up the wetsuit and store the gear until your next dive. Between dives they offer drinking water and fresh fruit which is a nice way to get rid of that salt taste. The store can fill 27 tanks at the same time and they must have 300 tanks for divers to use. They also have classrooms and advanced courses can be arranged. Most of the dives start at the edge of the coral wall. It is just like the pictures you see in dive magazines. Big coral overhangs, sponges, nooks and cranies filled with life. Visability was well over 100 feet on the walls. Each time you finish your dive you will be saying " Wow, that was unbelievable". There is also unlimited shore diving to a sunken aircraft which is only a few meters away from a small shipwrecked freighter. The only bad thing I can say is the beds were quite firm. The food was very good but there could have been more choices. You will not go hungry. My daughter and I were discussing what we would rate it out of 10. She said a 9.7 and I said 9.5 and I would have given it a 9.7 if the mattress was a bit softer. What a wonderful vacation experience that will never be forgotten. Get there quick before the world finds out how great this place is.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 100 block on the main floor. All the rooms have ocean view. It is a quiet hotel a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Pim M
Richmond, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have stayed at FIBR numerous times, probably 15, over the years and I have always enjoyed my stay. The rooms are comfortable and of a good size to be able to spread out. The new management is really doing a good job of restoring it to a much better condition. The food is always plentiful and served in a buffet style.

The diving operator is outstanding. They wil go out of their way to make sure that you have a safe pkleasant dive experience.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a view of the ocean, but if you would like a better one try the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Joe H
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

What a great experience! Having never been to Honduras and honestly having never heard of Roatan, I choose Fantasy island with more a leap of faith than actual first hand knowledge. In the end, it was a great decision.
Once my plane landed, the driver from the resort was there waiting for me. After a short ride, I arrived at the resort, having first crossed the old wooden bridge. Check in was a snap, and I was in my room before I knew it. There were three of staying in our room, and we never felt crowed. The resort is all inclusive, so we had most of our meals sitting out doors, looking out ver the beautiful waters. I consider myself one of the pickiest eaters in the world, and I never went hungry, there was always something that I could find to eat. One night, one of the selections was fresh shrimp and it was some of the best shrimp I have ever eaten. My friends and I spent our days snorkeling and kayaking, is was truly relaxing. Evenings were spent relaxing outside with a beer in hand. The grounds were amazing, after 6 days I never did around to seeing everything. Peacocks, ducks, chickens, and monkeys roamed freely which added to the charm of this great resort. I especially enjoyed watching the monkeys play and spent one morning trying to get them to take food from my hand. The resort isn’t new, but to me that added to the charm. Was it perfect, no, of course not, no resort is, but the staff was always on hand to help if a concern did arise – few did! If you are looking for a ultra glam resort, stay away, this isn’t the place for you. However, if what you want is a great place to relax, dive, snorkel, and just feel comfortable for a few days, then I highly recommend Fantasy Island Resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Henry Morgan Resort
Henry Morgan Resort
#10 of 14 in West Bay
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,370 reviews

Been to Fantasy Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!