“Pleasant 3 star”

Fantasy Island Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
Reviewed March 14, 2013

So this is a 3 star but really has a great ambiance non the less. The rooms are clean, sparsely furnished but adequate for the diver whose concerns are more abou the dive operation. The all inclusive feature makes it a bargain and the beach is nice, smallish but nice.
The diving is wonderful here, we have been to this resort twice because of the dive operation, no fuss resort and laid back feeling all made for a great last min. all inclusive vaction.

Room Tip: Corner suite was a bit bigger.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mellowjude
Elisa G, Manager at Fantasy Island Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear mellowjude,

On behalf of the entire staff of Fantasy Island Beach Resort, I would like to express our sincere gratitude for choosing us for your recent Holiday.

We, thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experiences. Your comments are very important to us as we strive to perfect our hotel. It was a pleasure for us to have had this opportunity of being your host and we are glad that you and your family have had an enjoyable and memorable stay.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed at Fantasy Beach Resort from Feb. 25 to March 4th and it was fabulous. Although this resort needs a lot of tender love and care it was a great vacation. The managing staff, Enrique and Elisa, are very dedicated and always made sure that all visitors were happy. They care deeply for all visitors and their staff is outstanding. I would like to say hello to Carolina and to all the dining room and kitchen - SMILES ALL THE WAY. The food was good and the cook, Salvador, will prepare your breakfast just the way you like it. He is at the grill every day making sure you enjoy your meal choices. Wonderful fruit at every meal and the dining room and kitchen STAFF are better than at any 5 star resort. The beach is beautiful and calm and for those who are here to scuba...nothing but the best. Thanks to our group we had several activities organized and the staff prepared a great farewell party for us. That was a great way to get to know them away from their job. I fell in love with all of the exotic animals and would certainly go back. DO NOT MISS THE OPPORTUNITY TO GO THE THE ENCOUNTER WITH THE DAULPHINS!! THAT EXPERIENCE WAS AMAZING. If you want to relax and enjoy the beach this is the place for you and your friends or family. At the present time they are just getting organized in terms of evening entertainment but the staff and the Island make it very worth while. Go ahead, spoil yourself and visit Roatan, Fantasy Beach Resort.

Room Tip: The rooms in the 220 and up were great. Be prepared to hear the roosters in the early morning...but...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patricia123_13
Elisa G, Manager at Fantasy Island Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Patricia,

Reviewed March 3, 2013

As others have said, if you're used to going to some of the higher end places in Mexico or Dominican Republic and expect the same here, you'll likley be disappointed. On the other hand, if you're going for the diving, as we did, then its quite sufficient. Most of the other reviews on here have covered the various points about the resort/hotel so we'll not dwell on that. Instead we'll talk about the dive shop.

We were there in August and did a full week of diving, including taking a couple of specialty courses. The shop manager, Daren was great. The boat captains, Kevin and Alonso, and divemasters, Derry and Nelson made sure we had lots of fun. The captains took us to different sites we hadn't seen almost every day and the dive masters were great at pointing out those hard to find and interesting creature like sea horses and toadfish. The instructor, Laurie was such a pleasure to learn from and dive with, she made it so much fun taking the Deep and Wreck Specialties.

We enjoyed the diving, expericence with the dive shop, and especially the instruction with Laurie so much that we returned in December for more diving and specifically to take more courses with her.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kev_n_Caro

Dear Kev_n_Caro,

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I were at the resort last week for a week and I must say I was pleasantly suprised to find a resort much better than what I read on this site. First you have to keep in mind this is a 3 star hotel right now. Its not a 5 star all-inclusive riviera miya hotel. If your expecting this I would say all of honduras is not for you.
We showed up and the staff was friendly and informative. They told us they were to capacity and they were putting us in a room(611) that was not quite finished (had no TV or phone and thats it) and we will be moved the next day. It was a minor inconvienance but they were up front with us and they moved our things when a new room was available. The new room(229) was in good shape and the bed was very comfy. We had a good view from the room, A/C worked good and it was clean. I will say the water pressure was a bit low but we had little issues taking showers. We did loose water pressure twice during week but a phone call to the front desk and pressure was back up quickly. All in All, our room was quite nice.
When we arrived we were told by the front desk during check-in there are 4 monkeys on the property and they are very busy and will try to take things from you. They told us when we were not in our rooms to try to keep small things in a bag when we were not using them. Once again we were fore warned so we knew what to expect and we planned accordingly. We found the Monkey to be great. They were very busy and I can see how people who don't care for animals would be put out by them. I did see one of them in the dining room and they jumped on one of the serving tables and took a peice of cake. The cooks chased the monkey away and took the pan of cakes that the monkey had gotten into.
There were also peacocks, roosters, geese, parrots, guinea hens, iguanas, geckos, and an animal they called a rabbit. They all added to the atmosphere and we truly enjoyed seeing all of them. I will say my room was far enough away that we could not hear the rooster and the geese in the morning.
The food was good. The variety was not huge but there was enough variety to be able to pick and choose between entrees. We were expecting poor to average food from the reviews and I thought it was better than average and none of it seem to be left over from previous dinners. We only had one dinner that we did not care for the choices. Food was still edible. The drink varieties were good also.
The water from the faucet was not potable. We were again told by the front desk that they do not recommend us to drink the tap water. They put a pitcher of water in our fridge and told us to ask if we needed more. We actually went to eldons grocery (recommend highly) and bought bottled water and snacks. We used the pitcher of water for brushing teeth. It was just more convienant for me this way because I drink a lot of water. We had no stomach issues all week and we asked several people who were in groups if any of them had stomach issues and got no reports from anyone who did.
We did not get to the beach much because we did a lot of diving. The short time we were on the beach we found it ok. They have an area for snorklers that has underwater ruins that you can swim around. Little tip: Take a flashlight and look in the holes of the ruins. Its teeming with aquatic life. The beach by the Gazebo is pretty rocky but a great place to lay out and catch some sun. Is also a great snorkling spot. They were having issues with the pool and it was drained 2 times. We didnt care because who needs the pool when its 10 feet from the beach. I can go to the pool at home.
The Dive Shop and Diving. I cannot say enough good things about the dive shop and the staff we encountered. They were all extremely nice and helpful and made you feel very comfortable. There are a few people I want to point out. Darren, the dive coordinator, was the best. He took time to talked to you and answer your questions. He helped me with equipment issues and he is just a great person to be around. Our Divemaster Miguel was a great DM. He knew the area like the back of his hand. He was good about pointing out interesting things underwater and would answer questions above the water. I recommend using him if you are there. My wife did her open water referral with an instructor named Kyle. He is used by fantasy island on a free lance basis when a instructor is needed( regular instructor was in the states). Kyle was a great guy that knew what he was doing. I also recommend him if you need instruction. The areas around Fantasy island was great diving. Weather you are going on a boat or diving off the gazebo, there was wonderful diving.
When we were there we spoke to the owner Jerry. He asked me what my thoughts were on the resort. I told him that this was a place that had tremendous potential and from what I can see, they are working on projects to make things better. I told him I don't sweat the small things and I look to have a good time and not dwell on the minor stuff that really doesnt change your experience at the resort. Yes there were things that had rot on it and needed fixed, but did those thing effect my experience: absolutely not. Jerry told me they have been working hard for about a year trying to get the resort back up and it will take time. I understood completely what he was talking about and know that years of neglect take time to repair.
I feel this is a good place to stay and I have no issues returning. I just hope that by the time we return they don't raise the rates because they have the place fixed up.

Room Tip: 200 series rooms are in good shape and 220 to 230 you will not hear the animals. Stay away from 600...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank brucef8167
Fantasy-IslandBR, Gerente at Fantasy Island Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Mr. brucef8167

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here from Feb 14-21 and loved it. We will definitely be back. Shuttle from the airport was about 30 minutes late picking us up but we waited outside the airport and had a local man ride his bike to the store and buy us 3 beers for $5. Trip from the airport to hotel was 15 minutes max.
Check in was super fast and easy and the front desk staff were ALWAYS helpful and friendly. Our room was 220 so the newer area and on the 2nd floor. The monkeys didn't seem to come this far down, they visited the balconies of the rooms near the lobby and pool. We had 1 monkey on our balcony 1 time and he wasn't a nuisance at all. We didn't leave anything on our balcony though, just in case. The monkeys were friendly but will take ANYTHING they can get their hands on, and they love anything sweet. We never saw any monkeys in the food areas. The beach was amazing....really nice water and we snorkelled right off the beach and saw lots!! My husband did 2 dives and loved it. The food was GREAT!! The drinks were GREAT!!We did eat off the resort (in West End) and both got sick but it only lasted a few hours. There were biting insects but we used OFF or baby oil and it seemed to work for us. We rented scooters 1 day for $35 each and rode to Gumbalimba Park in West Bay which was AMAZING!! The scooter riding was a little scary, lots of potholes and traffic so be careful!! All the local people we encountered were friendly and helpful.
Our room was large, clean and comfortable, with bar fridge and fresh water daily. The only negative was the shower which fluctuated hot and cold but didn't bother us at all.

Even though we live near Toronto we flew out of Montreal as it was $800 cheaper (on redtag.ca) for some reason?? Worth the drive!

Room Tip: 220 area was quieter. Low 200's were near lobby and noisier with more monkey action. The 500 and...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KimL1992
Fantasy-IslandBR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Fantasy Island Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Mrs. Kim

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Check-in/ Room
I stayed at Fantasy Island for a week all inclusive. Pick up at the airport was quick and easy check-in was prompt. Our room was in the 200’s was large and clean. Water in the shower was sometimes too hot or too cold but this did in no way affect my vacation. Our patio door did not lock but this didn't bother me I suppose I am just way more relaxed about things than some people. Our a/c was cold and our room was clean that is all that mattered to me I spent most of my time on the beach.

Food/Bar
There is no 24 hour bar or food but the food was good all week didn't have one meal I couldn't find something to eat. I found the pasta sauce quite good there was always fruit available. We were both very happy with the food. One morning we arrived at breakfast and there was no bacon, the chef went and got us bacon and when we requested him to grill it a wee bit more on the omelet grill he said it wasn't hot enough and brought it to the back. He then delivered it to our table for us nice and crispy. This is how all the staff treats you and it is such a small resort that you get to know many of the guests and staff. The bar was good always fast courteous service. Just a note there is an all-inclusive list of drinks included no pina colada, daiquiri’s etc. you have to pay for the fancy drinks. But I didn't want for drinks that week I was quite happy with my rum and cokes, fantasy specials and sex on the beach.

Beach/Pool
This is a dive resort plenty of divers so during the day the resort is pretty much deserted. You could always find your own area on the beautiful beach even on cruise ship days Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. You did have to keep an eye on your lounger a bit more when the cruisers were in as they had no issue taking your lounger and moving your towel. They are a slight annoyance. Kayaks were always available for use and you could explore all the way around the island. The pool was slimy and I did not go in at all I considered it gross but who cares when the beach is so nice. If you are a pool person and expect to be in the pool at the swim-up bar you will be disappointed. The sand fleas were VERY hungry make sure to bring but spray.

If you want a party resort or nightly entertainment and you are used to 5* resorts this is NOT the resort for you a resort in the West Bay Beach may be more appropriate. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation to catch up on your reading or to snorkel and dive this is the place for you. The Wi-Fi in the lobby was great I used it daily to check in at home without any issues. Overall I liked this resort and if you are an easy going traveller you will not have any issues. Do not leave anything you don’t want the monkeys to take out on your balcony as they think everything is a treasure left out for them.
I would happily return to Fantasy Island.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank travelingurl01

Dear Mrs. travelingurl01

Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at this hotel, along with our scuba club. The property has some very serious issues which are not being dealt with, and which were never addressed by staff, even after numerous reports by guests.

One of the most serious is that the resort has four pet monkeys that reside on property. While initially we thought them quite cute, by the end of the week, we realized what a major problem they are. First and foremost, they continually get into the dining area and can be seen walking all over the food on the buffet. We saw one lick peanut butter out of a communal dish. They feed themselves at will, and only occasionally will the staff give a half-hearted effort at chasing them out. Additionally, the monkeys are in the habit of taking things. One in our group had his phone stolen, and could not find it. Twice we chased them out of the dive lockers, where they were taking gear out of the lockers. They got up on the balconies and chewed through several pieces of gear that was put there for a morning dive before the lockers were open. One of our group was bitten by the monkeys as she was retrieving an item it had taken from her. I can only hope that the animals have had some veterinary care and aren't carrying any serious diseases. In addition to the monkeys, there are several roosters living there. We found they typically began crowing around 2am, and kept it up for most of the day. I had never before known just how loud a rooster can crow when it's right outside your room.

About half of the rooms are in major decline. The lock on our door didn't work properly, and the TV and some of the lights were missing from our room. Others of our club had no AC, a ceiling fan that fell out of the ceiling and was dangling only by the electrical wire, sewer gas erupting from the toilet like a geyser and spraying the entire bathroom with water, no water in the entire building on multiple occasions, and a list of about twenty or thirty other things wrong. In each case, multiple requests were made to correct the situation. Not one was ever fixed while we were there. If a guest complained multiple times, they were eventually simply moved to another room. Additionally, because of the monkey problem, we were unable to leave our balcony doors open to air out the moldy rooms for any length of time.

The pool was unusable the entire week. On the first day the water was filthy. Then the pool was drained and refilled with a combination of ocean and fresh water, but not properly treated, so the water turned black with some kind of growth. The pool man assured us he was about to dump a lot of bleach in the water to "fix" the problem. Most of us would rather be in the ocean anyway, but for any non-divers, this is pretty much the only thing to do at the resort, so it was a major annoyance for them.

Also, a warning: the tap water in the rooms is NOT POTABLE. One or two of the rooms had a sticker on the mirror to warn of this. I asked a lady at the front counter if it was safe to drink the tap water, and she assured me it was. Every one of us who allowed any of the tap water to enter our mouths ended up with gastroenteritis. The few who heeded the stickers were fine.

On the plus side, the food was plentiful, and the staff was pleasant enough. The dive shop was quite accommodating, and we had a lot of very good diving, which was the main thing we cared about. The owner was present toward the end of our stay, and we attempted to address these problems with him; he did arrange a very nice banquet on the beach for us on our last night. But the large list of issues gives the impression that the people running things simply do not care to bother keeping anything in good working order. I won't be returning to this resort, and will recommend to anyone who asks that they don't either.

Room Tip: Stay at a different resort.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank Michele_Berg

Dear Mrs. Michele

On Behalf of Fantasy Island Beach Resort, I would like to express our gratitude to you for choosing our hotel and it was a great honor to be your hosts during your stay in Roatan.

We welcome and encourage our guests to provide us with their feedback of the experiences encountered within our resort. Your comments are important and extremely beneficial to us. With these comments, we receive an indication of where our services excel and in which areas that we have opportunities for improvement. We respect your opinions and we have taken your feedback very seriously.

From your post in this site we have noticed that there were some areas of our hotel that you rated unfavorably. We would like to express our most sincere apologies to you for not completely fulfilling your expectations.

It would be my distinct pleasure to welcome you back to the Fantasy Island Resort and we would feel much honored to be graced with your presence once again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Barefoot Cay
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Henry Morgan Beach Resort
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Fantasy Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!