“Average”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
London
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Don't go to this resort unless you are over 60 years old and don't really want to stay somewhere with any atmosphere or character. Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for one night when TACA cancelled our flight due to bad weather and so they put us in a room at Fantasy Island Resort to wait for our flight off Roatan. The room was pleasant enough but the overall hotel facilities, reception, restaurant etc was very run down and characterless. The weather was terrible when we were there so the resort provided films, games and bingo to keep the guests entertained but it just felt gloomy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ellie G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I think that this resort is getting some "slightly unfair" press. While it was not perfect by ANY STRETCH of the imagination - and I wasn't entirely comfortable with the cleanliness level for my kids sake - I just have to give a little credit to the owner and some of his staff for TRYING.

Ok, so there was no hot water in our room - but once we politely inquired (complained), we had HOT WATER in 10 minutes! After 4 days/nights of a broken ceiling fan and non-existant Air Conditioning, we politely inquired (read, complained again) and presto - our A/C was fixed. My kids were chatting with the kitchen staff one morning and asked why there weren't pancakes that day - and the young man promised (and delivered on his promise) to serve pancakes the next day. Stupid little things like this......yes, on one hand it was disappointing but on the other hand, they TRIED....which is a lot more than I can say for some of the 4 and 5 star resorts I've been to in other countries.

The good stuff: GREAT diving and snorkling, safe and calm bay area for young kids to swim, beautiful beach, friendly monkeys, cool peacocks / iguanas / Roatan rabbits / roosters etc., very safe area, not-horrible food.

The not-so-good stuff: The cleanliness of the washrooms, the pool, "cruise ship" takeovers (they rent the private beach to the cruise ships for their day-trippers), the cleanliness of the rooms (we DID have a cockroach), the poor selection of bar drinks, and the HORRIBLE wine.

I'm not saying I'd go back, and I'm not really sure who I would recommend it to (just because you have to be the out-doorsy, cottagy type to be ok here) but I''m not sorry we went. I don't regret it by any means. I just think that if you pay for a 3-star, you can't expect anything more.

The kitchen staff and servers were really good; the house-keeping not so much. Sheets never got changed in the week we were there, and I DO wonder if anything got wiped down, but it is what it is ;-) The owner arrived while we were there and there was an immediate change in service levels upon his arrival. It has to be said, he was WONDERFUL, knowledgeable, and if you happen to travel when he's there, you will undoubtedly fair better. That's definately an issue, I think, and probably why the reviews are so polar opposite. Its really luck of the draw if he's there and hands on - or not.

All in all, Our highlights were 100% water/animal based, and so the hotel didn't dampen our fun one bit in that respect. The Monkeys rode on our shoulders, ate out of our hands, and stole our stuff. The ducks chased us around, the peacocks strutted by, the fish were beautiful and also ate bread from our hands underwater.....it was all good. I WILL suggest, however, that you take all those meds your doctor may prescribe (Twinrix, Malerone for Malaria etc) because you'd rather be safe than sorry if you go!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room. Check your water and AC and complain (nicely) if they don't wo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Amy R
Linden, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Friends and I just returned from a week stay on "Fantasy Island". An Island, yes, a Fantasy "NO". Absolutely the worse place I've ever stayed in my life. Rooms are equivalent to a "shack" and we stayed in a newer remodeled room! Food was okay, but nothing to brag about. Drinks were so-so. With an all-inclusive, only one beer was given (Strohs). The shopping store was never opened. I finally got so pissed at the way the entire operation was ran I complained to the owner who just happened to have been there that week. When my complaints went on deaf ear with the owner, I sat down, opened my computer, and went to trip advisor. When the owner saw this, he resolved all of my complaints, the domestic beer was now "free" (which was 4 dollars prior), change of towels in the room, the essentials, nothing BIG. It went as far as the owner asking me to give his hotel a good review since he was so accommodating. He actually stood over me while I typed my 1st review on his "Shack". I was really at a loss of words on trying to find something pleasant to say about the stay, but we needed the little sanitary things in our room like toilet paper, clean towels, soap, etc so I obliged his request and said a few nice things, maybe even hyped it up a little, title is GREAT DIVE PLACE". Things we do for a little peace of mind!
There is one GOOD thing about the place, the Diving was excellent. Nelson, our Dive Master was great! Kudos to you and your Captain!
WARNING: DO NOT GO UNLESS YOU PLAN ON DIVING AND DOING NOTHING ELSE! PLACE IS THE WORSE PLACE EVER!!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a good room at another resort. All the rooms are crappy and smell!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
14 Thank Donna G

Travelers are raving about these French Harbour hotels

Antigua, Guatemala
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We normally stay at hostel type hotels that are cheap and very minimal. So for our honeymoon we decided to stay here for an all exclusive experience, which we have done twice before ( Cabo and Tulum, Mx). Our other experiences were comparable in price, but Fantasy Island was way below the value that we paid when compared to the other all-inclusives. The rooms were very plain, old and dated, which is fine if the price is comparable. The water out of the faucet and shower is salt water, no joke. The food is horrible, poorly planned, cheaply bought items covered in oil and fried often. The plus to the food was that the pineapple was pretty good. The best thing normally to eat was the French fries. The public bathrooms in lobby don't have soap or paper towels. Once my wife tried to use the lobby FEMALE bathroom and three hotel staff were dropping deuces in it, acknowledged her presence and locked the door on her. She waited 10min for them to paint the bathroom brown before they came out and she almost vomited. I wish I could make this up.

The good: the beaches are very beautiful, usually quiet, unless a cruise ship is in town (they tour the island for about an hour when they are in town), the ocean water pristine and turquoise blue. It sounds like the scuba divers really enjoyed the dive shop and diving, but we never got to experience it.

The hotel is about a 30$ each way can ride to West End, making other food options expensive to explore. For the price, I wouldn't recommend it unless you understand that you are buying it for the beaches only, and that might not be enough given the price.

• Stayed January 2013
6 Thank Matthew K
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

If I could give this place - 0 or below 0 I would give them a nice 0.
Anything you see on the website or pictures are fake most of them doesn't exist.

Let's start saying:
- Dirty place
( Restaurant serve every day same food, what is over for lunch you will find for dinner so don't rush for lunch for sure you will have it for your dinner)
- Food is not fresh
- Breakfast
( every morning it was challenge to find some cheese or some tomato or coffee - old bread from the day before )
-Lunch - Dinner
same food every day, poor choice.

THIS RESORT WILL MAKE YOU PAYING FOR ANY DRINKS OR ALCOHOL YOU MAY WANT EVEN IF YOU PORCHES ALL INCLUSIVE.
In your All Inclusive package you will only get few "drink" and beer. The rest $$$$$ pay for it.

-Talking about cleaning.
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CLEANING ROOM THEY DON'T CHANGE YOUR SHEETS OR TOWELS ( THEY ONLY MAKE YOUR BAD AND NOTHING MORE )
For 2 weeks they change our sheets only 1 time only because I went to complain that is ABSURD.

-From the shower
if you are lucky to take a shower you will only get SALTY water out and cold.
- Room condition
(we saw 3 different rooms, we were lucky that the hotel was pretty empty when we arrive so we asked them to see others rooms)
The rooms are old most of them the AC is not working the bath room ( horrible )
Probably the left side area of the resort is the new part but still.

IF YOU CAN - PLEASE GO SOME WHERE ELSE - TRUST ME.

On the web they saying there is 2 beaches where you can swim and bla bla (FALSE)
The only beach where you can go is the main beach in front the resort, the other beach doesn't even have sand and the water look like a marsh.

So the only beach where you can relax ( but you can't bc every day the resort reserve the entire hotel for the cruise people, so every day you will dealing with at least 200 turist from the cruise ship) WHat a mass.
So once again if you looking for some quite and relaxing place this is not for you.

I want to try to put some positive words in this review

( to the 4 waitress from the restaurant - Francisco-Frabrizio-Gari-and the last girl that I don't remember her name with frizzle hair goes my appreciation and the 5 stars because the will always greet you with a big smile and try to do their best to make you fill welcoming)

The rest is just TERRIBLE
( i FORGET THE WI-FI ) GOOD LUCK with that.

Close this place down

Room Tip: As a tip to choose a good room? Go some where else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
16 Thank Vito D
Bradford, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Me and my sister traveled to Roatan dec 27-jan 3. We had a late start from Toronto due to the weather. Also our bus was late picking us up from the airport, took over an hour for it to come and take us to the hotel. We had about another hour just to check in . Reception desk was disorganized, didnt care and screwed up our reservations. Whatever we requested was the exact opposite. We were about 5 families and they got all the requests wrong. The beach was nice and so was the snorkeling that is about it. The food was ok but no snacks. It says all inclusive but not really. Have to pay for certain drinks. Staff didnt care. We had towels one day ,next day they were gone. Sometimes they would replace our towels with used ones. If they smell like coconut suntan lotion or goats milk soap you know they are used. Gross!!! No hot water, staff had no clue or would come up with excuses. Our tour operator had no clue about any of the excursions. Manager would run away if you tried to speak to her. Most of us at the hotel got sick with the stomach virus. Someone had it on the plane down ,gave it to everyone. Had to have the doctor come to the hotel room . I would go back to Roatan but i would definitely go to a different hotel , must be a 5++++ for me to go.

Room Tip: 200 series opposite side of the reception desk. Cleaner and have been updated.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
14 Thank Anastasia V
Brampton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Pro: Snorkeling was pretty good near the Gazebo

1) Staffing
i) Deliberate misrepresentation or ignorance of the facts,
examples
a) Told over and over we had to pay $30 each for the New Years dinner, when I refused and finally got the true answer that the $30 was for the party. With roosters waking us every morning before 6am (5:15 one morning) we had no interest in the party.
b) Told different answers to several question over and over, even when the bus to the airport was. There was an 11:30 bus for Nolitours and I asked two different staff at the reception and was told there was only the 10:30 bus from the resort.
c) The room we were in smelled bad, I asked over and over to switch rooms and was told to come back at 1pm and every time I did I was told there was no rooms available, even though I had seen many people leaving.

ii) Poorly trained staff
a) Staff making ice using the undrinkable tap water or providing drinks with tap water. I often had drinks that were salty or as the ice melted turned salty and I had to dump them out.
b) Staff in the dining room unable to understand even basic words like orange juice, water and bringing the wrong drinks. We were totally ignored on New Years eve dinner.
c) The boats going out near the Gazebo often seemed to pay little attention to snorkelers in the area and were traveling too fast on several occasions and it was only by luck there was no accidents.

iii) Poor conditions and work loads.
a) 3 or 4 people raking the leaves, while there is plastic and glass junk all around the shoreline. While there was a lof of plastic and glass along the shore, especially near the Gazebo's shore but there was alot of junk that should have been concentrated on rather than a few leaves.

b) Cleaning staff using heavy water jugs to fill the water pitchers in the fridges. The women should have a way to fill the jugs without trying to balance the big jug on their shoulders.

2) The Resort
I found the resort poorly maintain.
i) The room condition was bad, missing caulk in the showers, doors didn't close in bathroom and had to slam the door, the 2x3" bed legs were wobbly and I am surprised they didn't collapse,
ii) Tap water was undrinkable and no warning, also not enough water in the room and no place to refill the jug.
iii) The room we were in 406 smelled.
iv) No windows that could be opened to air out the room.
v) Walking along the road near the diveshop the drain beside it looked and smelled like raw sewage.
vi) The underwater garbage dump by Gazebo beach/mangoes was disgusting.
vii) The television in room our didn't work and repeated requests at the desk and from the maintenance staff were ignored for the whole week.
viii) The water in the toilet often did not work and you often had to wait several hours before you could flush.

3) Food
The selection was small and I was sick with vomiting and diarrhea for two days from the food and my son also was sick from the food. In the end due to the food, the only good point is that I had lost 3 lbs.

Summary

There are many other items I could go into like what I heard about the sewage, rooms that didn't have hot water the whole week and more but suffice it to say I will be expecting compensation for this abysmal resort. I work as a consultant and with some training, cleanup and "environmental work" (cleanup,septic...) this resort would be a fantasy but as it was the location was pretty good but the report itself was more of a dump and I once I have some time I will be doing a review on Tripadvisor to warn others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Todd7654321
Parrot Tree Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in First Bight
Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Fantasy Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!