“Gorgeous Place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Las Verandas Hotel & Villas
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
“Gorgeous Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at Las Verandas! (4/22-4/26) The staff was super friendly and knowledgable. We enjoyed our time talking to each and everyone there! (Special shout out to Albert, Laura and Carlos for taking great care of us!) The villa we stayed in was perfect- we had a plunge pool and were situated just steps down to the beach. The view was to die for. The restaurants there were very good- for breakfast, lunch and dinner! We enjoyed all of our meals! Room service and house keeping was perfect. The grounds are well taken care of. The flowers boast many hummingbirds and butterflies. We also spotted woodpeckers, an iguana, geckos, lizards who were standing on two legs running (haha) and a wild "rabbit." Oh and I swear we saw a green parrot or two! We adventured out on the kayaks, snorkeled and just plain relaxed. It was a very good time! Anytime we needed dinner reservations, we were well taken care of. The resort has transportation to and from anywhere you would like to go (for a reasonable price)- well worth it for the comfort and good conversation w your driver:)
We left the resort for two meals- we loved both. We went to Gio's (for amazing king crab and lobster) and Cal's (order the jerk chicken!). The ride was about 10 minutes and both have a great view!
Roatan is a beautiful island which I think is a best kept secret. It has a wonderful vibe like no other!

We will definitely be back to Las Verandas. Although it's brand new and not many people there, it was kind of cool! We practically had the whole place to ourselves! Honestly, I can't think of one negative thing to say about the resort. And, my husband and I have stayed at serval resorts in the Carribean and Mexico.
Also worth checking out- Island Creperie--DELICIOUS crepes-breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thank you everyone at Las Verandas! We miss you already! See you soon;)

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Momowalker1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed at Las Verandas 3/30 - 4/5 with a close friend -- to get away, relax and celebrate a milestone birthday in a serene and contemplative setting. Not only was the property jaw-droopingly beautiful (lush, natural landscaping that provided habitat for charming wildlife -- hummingbirds, butterflies and agoutis) -- the accommodations were luxurious beyond what the photos convey. Quiet, serene and beautiful all-around... and the oceanfront so close and views so expansive - there was no atmospheric difference between sitting on the villa's veranda or sitting directly on the beach!

The staff was highly attentive, friendly and helpful; and the food delicious!

Keila Thompson (General Manager) was so attentive and present - I joked with her that she doesn't sleep (literally, she was there early every morning and late every evening -- even assisting with delivery of room service when necessary)!

Because of Las Verandas - I will definitely return to Roatan; and I can't imagine staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: Just book... there are no "bad" options!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

This resort is an oasis with a setting that's absolutely gorgeous and a wonderful staff that's well trained and authentic. If you've decided on Roatan as a destination you'll want to give this resort consideration. At present they're are a limited number of villas available for rent - more are under construction. This gives you the impression that you pretty much have the entire resort to yourself - we loved it since we don't enjoy having limited access to resources when we're on vacation. And this also afforded the opportunity to converse with the staff and get to know them on a more personal level - Liza, Felipe, Angelo, Sarah, Carlos, Christina - Thank You All - you guys were great.

The Pete Dye golf course is a wonderful track with views of the ocean on many of the holes. The par 3 holes are amazing - classic Pete Dye with equal trouble left and right. They could improve their rental clubs - putter grips needed to be redone and the woods didn't come with head covers and consequently the heads on most of these clubs looked pathetic. Hey you guys in the pro-shop these small details matter to us golfers! Raise your game and put a little love back into these things!

The food and service was excellent on site - we were never disappointed. Off property we recommend Cal's - 5 mins further south - great food with vista views of the west coast.

Thanks Las Verandas !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Oxford, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed at Las Verandas 3/22-3/29/14 and enjoyed every minute of our trip.

My first impressions upon arrival were that the property is exquisite and the staff is eager to please. Tremendous thought that went into the architecture of the villas and the design of the grounds. This is not your typical Central American property - its the most beautiful, clean, peaceful, and comfortable that I have come across (yes - I know quite an array of adjectives, but they are all appropriate, trust me!). It is more in line with Parrot Cay in Turks, Viceroy Anguilla, etc. It is truly as beautiful as the photos you see. I thought that for the price there were going to have to be some serious downfalls, but I'm afraid there really weren't and I expect the prices to most likely go up significantly in the future. So catch it now!

For what to expect - for now, much privacy. Some have reviewed that this 'creeped' them out - I totally disagree. At first I expected it and thought, yea, this may just be a little strange to be the only guests at the pool, restaurant, etc. But after a day you realize not sharing the 2 amazing pools with anyone is a true gift! But overall there were just enough people around where it did not feel a bit creepy. In fact, we made some amazing friends while there. We ended up having breakfast and dinner with several other guests on occasion.

So now on the food - it is GREAT. The menu is limited, but everything on it is wonderful, and unless you are staying over a week, more than likely it will be perfect. We ate breakfast and lunch on the property almost daily, and both menus are great (and amazingly affordable ~6-10$/breakfast; 7-12$/lunch). We did go out to dinner all but two evenings - we particularly enjoyed Frangipani in Sandy Bay. It is a hike, but it's worth it.

The staff that takes care of you at the restaurant, pool bar, etc. is fantastic. They are eager to please and want you happy. They serve great drinks (margaritas from scratch, that are so darn good; decent wine list...esp. for Central America; Monkey La La's that made me gain 5lb but were worth it). They go above and beyond to make every drink and dining experience fantastic.

Now onto activities. My husband is a do-er. Wants to explore and see everything on the island. Luckily the dive shop is a 2min walk away, so diving 1, 2 or 3 times a day is super simple and fantastic (according to him). Bring your own yoga mat or borrow one from the Beach Club next door, they don't have them on site to borrow --but the balconies/verandas of the villas are great for yoga and they have wifi if you want to do a yogaglo session or two (gym is next door and wasn't my fave - but why exercise inside when the outside offers so much; no yoga or other classes on site yet).

They still have some work to do in organizing the off site activities (not a problem for those that just plan on chilling at the resort). I think it would be helpful for the resort to help guests explore their options and line up an itinerary prior to arrival. They have an activities binder that outlines your options, but its more of a collection of brochures for you to choose from. We were too late to book any catamaran sailing or sailing trips to Pigeon Caye-which was a major disappointment that they were all booked up for the entire week. When asked about ziplining, everyone had a different opinion; ends up the best one is in West Bay/West End area - we did a day trip there and could have done it then, just didn't make the connection when discussing our activities. It would be good to have someone who is able to work with the guests to get an itinerary developed that they are happy with prior to arrival. Especially for those that are eager to explore the island. We found out on day 5/7 that there is also a cool submarine operated by Karl Stanley that can take you down 1000, 2000, or 3000 feet. Maybe this is our job to do the 'digging' into activities, but we really needed local knowledge!

The resort did a great job arranging transportation (we didn't rent a car). They could get us a van with just a short notice, and everyone they arranged was great. They also charge everything to your room and work on a voucher system with the other vendors, activities, car services, etc., so it is super convenient to not constantly be dealing with cash. The transfers were pretty reasonable too.

Only other thing I would love to change - the bugs. There sand flies; the deet helped, but hate that it is harmful to the reef. If the grounds could be sprayed for them, it would be huge. They are annoying, and I really had to have spray on anytime I was outside. (Yes, I know its Central America, but still, they are just annoying). We did go to West Bay to the beach one day, no sand flies there, but so many tourists, it felt like South Beach - wouldn't recommend. We were quite ready to get back to our little heaven. And only thing I would change about the room (or I guess that just kind of annoyed me - there were several light bulbs out in the bathroom that just never got replaced (yes, I'm a bit OCD), and outside on the veranda, there are several lights in the flooring that don't have covers on them (looked like they were being repaired?). The cleanliness of the room, bedding, etc. was amazing. The finishings were top notch.

Overall, this place is fantastic - especially for the price. We will definitely go back. There is a 'hotel' going up - but it is actually just the third 'row' behind the first two rows of villas. It blends in nicely. It will be really interesting to see Las Verandas completed over the next few years. The plans are extraordinary - once the spa is in, it will be even better (probably 2015? - nothing going on yet).

We loved our time and can't wait to return! This place would be fantastic for two couples - one couple upstairs in the villa (would have kitchen, living area, etc), other couple downstairs (would have pool) - then you could all share the amenities. There is an Eldon's Supermarket just a few minutes from the property that you could visit and stock up on groceries, sunscreen, etc. (but I couldn't resist the food at the resort:) Finally, we were in villa 5 - very private, more on the end of the row of villas. The construction did not bother us a bit. In fact, there is a water feature on the infinity pool that makes just the right amount of noise that you don't hear a thing!

Thanks Las Verandas! We miss you already!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank maryannab
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

This place took what I saw online and brought it to life! Ocean views, palm trees, beautiful pools balconies! Really what more could you want??We were here for 6 lovely days and were genuinely sad to leave! The property is absolutely beautiful but is still under construction that said it still has a lot to offer. The staff is AMAZING Felipe, Liza, Especially took care of our every need sometimes before we even asked. This Resort will be the most sought after spot on the island when complete, I am sure of that! I would take advantage of this opportunity and book this place before it is too busy to do so!!! My only complaint they really need an ATM!

Room Tip: Villa room with infinity pool
2 Thank Creighton301
Sugar Land, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

This is the most beautiful place on this island! The villas are spacious and comfortable with amazing views of sunsets. The property is still under construction, but do not let that keep you from vacationing here. This is the undiscovered area on the island, and if you are looking to relax and get away, THIS IS YOUR DESTINATION! Ana, Kayla, Felipe, Sarah, Alberto, and the rest of the staff are at your service and work hard at making every minute of your stay here memorable and FUN! I HIGHLY recommend the sunset cruise with dinner on Ellie & Wayne's sailboat. I would say this was the best day of our vacation! Ana will set every thing up for you.

The dining here does have a limited menu but is delicious!

On the island, I do not recommend ordering any frozen drinks...they are served over crushed ice. The equipment to make the drinks frozen is just not available.

RENT A CAR, but do not drive at night! There are no traffic lights on the entire island, only speed bumps (that blend into the pavement!) to slow you down, with a winding and steep main road from west end to east, and no center stripe!

People here are quite friendly.

Bring OFF with DEET. I found travel size aerosols at Target and brought with us. Sand fleas will leave you with red, itchy spots on your body if you do not spray yourself.

Enjoy your getaway!

Room Tip: Request a villa with an infinity pool!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Mare S
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed here for five days in February and loved my stay. The grounds are beautiful and the villa I stayed in had a picture perfect view of the ocean and palm trees. The staff was friendly and helpful in setting up activities like kayaking, tour of the island, etc. The hotel recently opened a new restaurant called Las Pergolas, which serves amazing Caribbean fusion food. My favorite is the chef's whole wheat bread, which I ate every morning for breakfast! If you are looking for a relaxing getaway in a gorgeous hotel, stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
The Beach House
The Beach House
#4 of 7 in West End

Been to Las Verandas Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!