“Beautiful tropical hotel”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
Austin, Texas
“Beautiful tropical hotel”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed here for five days in February and loved my stay. The grounds are beautiful and the villa I stayed in had a picture perfect view of the ocean and palm trees. The staff was friendly and helpful in setting up activities like kayaking, tour of the island, etc. The hotel recently opened a new restaurant called Las Pergolas, which serves amazing Caribbean fusion food. My favorite is the chef's whole wheat bread, which I ate every morning for breakfast! If you are looking for a relaxing getaway in a gorgeous hotel, stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Maryam Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Las Verandas at the end of Oct/first of Nov and had the most amazing time. We had a king room w/a private infinity plunge pool. Found the room to be nicely appointed and the bed was very comfortable. Room was spotless. View from our room was breathtaking. The grounds are just stunning. Still under construction but it never interfered with our stay. Restaurant was terrific. Had breakfast there almost every day, again the view is amazing. Dinner there was equally as good. Lisa and Cari at the restaurant were outstanding. Totally fell in love with them. Only complaint was that they charge you for each cup of coffee....seemed a little nickel and dimey considering they grow coffee on the mainland of Honduras. Otherwise, it was terrific. We rented a car and would recommend doing so since it is a great island to explore. Would definitely recommend Las Verandas. Look forward to returning in the future.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank keithtdesigns
Keila T, General Manager at Las Verandas Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are happy you enjoyed our resort and we look forward to hosting you as our guest again in the very near future. Your feedback will help us improve our services. Happy New Year!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed at the resort for 8 days and loved virtually everything about it. The Villas were beautiful, the grounds immaculate and the staff superb (hi Lisa!). We dove with Mike from Black Pearl Divers, the dive shop affiliated with the hotel. He and his team spoiled us rotten with tremendous service and one excellent dive after another. Since it was the rainy season, we had the dive boat and the resort virtually to ourselves the entire time, even though every day had sunshine and several had no rain at all. The hotel is under construction and the restaurant is not open until Christmas, but the food at the pool bar was excellent, so we ate most meals there on diving days. Aqua at the adjacent beach club was disappointing. Our favorite places to eat off property were Frangipani at the Mayoka Lodge in Sandy Bay (romantic outdoor dining with beautiful sunset views) and the Pineapple Grill at Clarion suites just off the property (we had the chop block special). The front desk will book transportation which is a bit pricey ($35 per person round trip to west end) but well worth it as Emsley and his drivers all went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and at home.

We had no issues and enjoyed meeting a number of very friendly and helpful people. The only significant negative was the bugs (Mosquitos and no-see-ums). Bring deet wipes. You pass a lot of poverty on the drive to the resort which made us feel a bit guilty about staying in a villa with a private infinity plunge pool (we had a pool unit with no kitchen), but tourism is the best hope of improving living conditions on the island. The only other negative was that the room fridge is tiny and kept in a closed cabinet which doesn't let it get cold. We left the door open and moved the cabinet away from the wall which solved the problem.

We usually don't repeat vacations, but there is a high likelihood that we will return to Las Verandas.

Room Tip: The Villa rooms come in several configurations. Some have pools or kitchens. Be sure to ask if you h...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Russ G
Roatan, Honduras
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went to Las Verandas for a late lunch. We both live on Roatan and found it to be a great new addition to our island. We had a couple of drinks and some appetizers. The dip platter was great, we opted for plantain chips instead or corn chips and the Thai basil coconut ceviche was amazing!

The pool and beach at their Palapa bar are stunning. Our waitress was very pleasant and accommodating. We will definitely be back again!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband booked this hotel via Expedia and we got a ridiculous package deal, which included air so for what we paid for a week's stay was worth dealing with the cons. Besides 1 gentleman, we were the only ones there the entire time. We went specifically to dive (Mike at The Beach Club dive shop is so laid back and took us to excellent spots - beautiful, easy diving, water was between 80 - 86 degrees each day - Tex was also fantastic and every day it was just me and my husband, no complaints).

Pros - very clean room, gorgeous views, friendly staff, food was pretty good (more on this later), dive shop was a 5 minute walk on the beach, golf club was right next door, if you really are coming to this hotel to get away and really relax, this is the place.

Cons - noisy since its still under construction,
no dresser in room to put clothes away so we lived out of luggage
only the bar for meals as the actual restaurant is still non existent; being early risers we were okay for 7am for start of breakfast - got there at 7 on day 2, no staff until 7:15; tried again on day 3, no staff until close to 7:30 - after that we just showed up between 715 and 740,
maybe I'm being nit picky here but one would expect pretty good coffee from a resort like this, not a chance, instant coffee - black water, horrible
2 wine options, red and white and for $5.00/glass, it tasted just like a $5.00 bottle of wine would taste (no typo here),
the food was pretty good but forget about asking for something "off the menu" like butter instead of cream cheese or jelly for your toast, this somehow caused confusion with my breakfast, stick to the menu,
the shrimp wraps were tasty until we ordered the meal again on another day and the cook forgot(?) to remove the tails on every shrimp.

This hotel, I'm sure, will eventually be a great spot but its still going through growing pains. Again, I'm probably being nit picky but I'd want details on service, food, etc at a place like this.

The location is very remote so unless you have a rental and do not want to pay for taxi service, your options for food, socializing are almost nil.

I couldn't remove my "terrible" rating for Fitness Center - there is none at this resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ursula W
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 9, 2013

New wife and I spent 6 nights at Las Verandas, near the end of July. Except for a few small annoyances, I don't think we could've been happier. Got a great deal $189 per night, booked through Jetsetter.

Pros:
- away from the busy hub and cruise ship traffic of West Bay. It is located along the North Coast (Pristine Bay) at the midpoint of the island. Just incredible views on the drive there from the airport.
- located next to a brand new golf course, Black Pearl. Played 9 holes, great condition, challenging course. Literally, it was next door.
- I'm not sure if we came during the down season, but there were hardly anyone other people there. We saw maybe 5 other couples/families, at various times, over the course of 1 week. That seemed to allow the staff to be especially attentive, bring food and ice whenever we needed, calling and arranging daytrips/transportation. Very professional staff, young, friendly. Perfect environment for a honeymoon.
- Private beach, with three umbrellas (to give you an idea of how quiet it was). White sand.
- Amazing infinite pools by the bar.
- Room: Villa-style, with an upstairs suite and downstairs suite. We had the downstairs suite, which did not have a kitchen, but had a private small infinite pool and lounging area. Our unit was beachfront, and we could walk down to the beach in less than a minute. Comfortable beds, mini fridge, 40+ inch TV mounted on the wall (which we never turned on), walk-in showers. Woke up every morning with a great view of the ocean. A/C was as adjustable and cold as you'd ever want.
- Restaurant: the restaurant was essentially the bar. ~ 10 tables in total. Indoor and outdoor area. Pool-side, ocean-view. The food was surprisingly good. We went back twice for the fish tacos, and the omelets on the morning menu were tasty. While the local beer is cheap ($2.75CAD bottle), the cocktails were surprisingly pricey (average $9) and pretty standard in quality.
- Located immediately adjacent to another resort called The Beach Club. If we had to rebook our vacation, this would've been the better choice (though more expensive). The dive shop is ON their private beach (great dive shop owner, Mike), the fancier restaurant is here too, and equally beautiful pools. Not sure about what the rooms look like though.

Cons:
- because the Pristine Bay area is located away from the busier areas, we had to take a shuttle transport to everything else (groceries, souvenirs, West End/West Bay areas). The cost of the shuttle to the grocery store was $10 each person. The cost was immediately worth it, as we met quite possibly the most helpful shuttle driver. His name is Emsly Hyde, the owner of Hyde Tours Roatan. Turns out he owns a fleet of shuttle vans that transport tourists around the island, offering tours. He drove us to the grocery (~10 minute drive through hilly terrain), waited for us to finish (~30 minutes), took us to a local eatery and helped us order (~45 mins, long-wait), then drove us back. He ended up being the driver for all our day trips, and was extremely helpful throughout.
Of note: the cost to shuttle out to West Bay is $35 each person. This is a ~30 minute drive each direction, and included him dropping us off and picking us up at the end of the day (at a location of our choice).
- you will want to try other restaurants. The menu at the bar restaurant is pretty limited. There is a great restaurant at The Beach Club, and a great pizza restaurant a few minutes away (they deliver, $3 cost).
- the resort is still under development. Actually, to be more accurate: there are approx 6 villas that are finished and furnished, all beach front. There are about 10-12 other villas just behind them, also mostly finished, but unfurnished (they were in the process of doing so while we were there). Though, at the rate things seemed to move on the island, it'll be months before they are done. At the far end of the short beach, there is a construction site. What appears to be another villa being erected, though I'm not sure if it is affiliated with the resort. It is in plain site of the pool and bar area, and can be quite noisy. Small boats shuttle in bags of sand onto that portion of the beach all day long. Didn't bother us too much though, we didn't spend that much time by the main pool (we had our own private pool!).
- SAND FLIES. Probably the most disappointing part of our trip. The first day we arrived, we sat on the beach chairs (alone, no one else was there!), and noticed tiny flies the size of a grain of sand. Seemed harmless. That night, after a nap, we awoke to 20+ little red bites all over. They didn't itch initially, thank goodness. Every time we went to the beach, or sat by our pool deck (beachfront, remember), these sand flies were there. It really limited our use of the beach and pool. Apparently, this has long been an issue on Roatan. They try and prevent it by regular dredging/raking the sand during the daytime, so that the sun can destroy the sandfly eggs. The West Bay area didn't seem to have this issue now that it was more populated and busy, but apparently it used to be a big problem there as well. Deet bug spray was essential for us. You've been warned!
- no Spa. They are affiliated with another spa, and can book massage sessions for you. The wife seemed to really enjoy her time there. Again, we needed to pay $10 for the shuttle ride there and back, so factor that into the cost.
- no Gym. Not that big of a deal for me.

Overall, I don't think we could've been more pleased with our honeymoon. Roatan is a very tourist friendly island, with lots of locals too.

Room Tip: Stayed in villa #3, great spot, good views, not too far from the main pool area (2 minute walk)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JWLL
Miami
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I just came back from a week in Roatan and I stayed in this hotel which was supposed to be one of the best!
My experience was really poor!
I start from the fact that the hotel is under construction and when I say that I mean that from the moment you wake up till sunset you hear drilling, screaming, hammering and so on... I expect to relax and yeah... I wanted to escape from the hotel!
The hotel is very isolated from everything the island has to offer, it would be cool if the hotel had the amenities you expect from a 4 or 5 stars hotel. One restaurant, very limited menu... Horrible food! On line they say they have a spa... Lie!
Now service...
Lisa Is the only good thing I can remember... Very smart...super attentive!!
That is all!
My mother and I were the only guests in the hotel( my mother is 70)... Although all the villas were empty... We had the furthest one from everything! I really think is ridiculous!
When I get to pay the bill... A lady approached me asking how my experience has been...
Well I told her I wasn't very happy...
Her answer:
Well I hope we will be finished by the time you will come back!!
Really?!
I will definitely not come back here... After 3000$ for 1 week!
Lady there are so many better places to stay for that amount of money!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Xbalanque Resort
Xbalanque Resort
#7 of 14 in West Bay
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Las Verandas Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!