“Good food! Good prices. Good”

The Pineapple Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Overall a good choice. My wife and I do not eat meat, so no idea about the restaurants signature dishes (steakhouse). However, we did get a lobster dinner which was good and well priced. Not many gluten free options. Overall a good choice.

There are newer reviews for The Pineapple Grill

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband surprised me with a Mother's Day weekend getaway to Roatan. We had been given a recommendation to visit The Pineapple Grill so we arranged to go that Saturday evening. My husband enthusiastically ordered the Prime Rib, which usually you cannot find here in Honduras, and I ordered the Tenderloin. The waiter seemed clueless about Prime Rib, not knowing that it typically should come medium rare. When my husband asked about Horseradish, he appeared surprised saying that he would ask for them to place some on the side.

To start with, the bread was overdone, almost uncuttable. We had been eating bread for approximately 10 minutes when I noticed our waiter heading over to us with a loaf, thinking we had not yet received any since one of the other waitresses had delivered it. I found it odd that with less than a quarter of the restaurant full, he would have taken so long to remember to bring us some.

When our waiter brought the food, he sat the Prime Rib in front of me, another oops. He immediately caught his mistake and switched the plates. My first reaction upon seeing my husband's food was it did not look like Prime Rib; it was way overdone and did not look appealing. While my Tenderloin looked more presentable, I cut into it to find that it was medium rare when I had ordered medium-well. When we called the waiter over he seemed surprised. I am positive that he mixed up the orders, ordering my husband's Prime Rib medium-well and mine medium rare.

A good steak is flavorful all the way through; neither of ours was such. My tenderloin tasted simply seasoned on the outside, with no flavor on the inside. I had to ask for steak sauce, which I NEVER use. My husband said his Prime Rib looked and tasted like meat that had been quickly defrosted and cooked. My rice pilaf was cold, and was the Near East boxed rice pilaf .... very disappointing.

The Pineapple Grill is marketed as a premiere steak house, as reflected in the prices, but the food nor the service was as such. My husband and I have no qualms about paying a quality price for quality food, but in all honesty we have had better meals at typical chain steakhouses like Outback or Black Angus for half the price.

As Roatan continues to grow and offer higher-end accommodations, there is a greater need for higher quality restaurants. However, this restaurant did not meet the standard in quality or service. The fact that the Executive Chef was not present may or may not have had a bearing on the food quality. Restaurant personnel definitely need to be better trained all around in order for this restaurant to live up to what it is marketed as.

1  Thank michelledesimon1
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Anyone on the island will tell you Pineapple Grill is the place to go for a great meal, especially their meat. Steaks are flown in from the US and are of high quality. Had 3 meals here and was impressed each time.

Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I liked this restaurant so much we ended up eating here twice the week we visited Roatan. The food is absolutely delicious! I ordered the filet & lobster tail and they both just melted in your mouth. We also tried the coconut shrimp & reef balls appetizer which was very good too. On our first visit the place was empty so we had great fast service. However on our second visit they had an event going on in another area and we had to wait quite awhile for our food, but it was worth the wait.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We visited The Pineapple Grill on New Years Eve. We were a large group and didn't have a reservation but they managed to fit us in. We sat on the covered deck overlooking the resort's beautiful waterfall and pool.

As was our consistent mistake on Roatan, none in our part of 6 did much research before arriving on the island, and after long days of diving in West End, few of us wanted to put in the time to find a spot 'ideal for our group.' By the time we had arrived home on New Years Eve, it was already dinner time and we'd forgotten that a new local friend had warned us that restaurants might be tough to find, especially if we waited until late (7:30pm) to leave our house rental. We called around and landed on The Pineapple Grill, based on 1) it was open, 2) we read great reviews at our rental house's 'guest reviews book' 3) it was pretty close to our rental (only about 20-minutes, compared to the hour it would take to get into West End for some of the other restaurants that were still open.

We all found our meals to be of superb quality. From decent appetizers to reasonably priced wine to our delicious and well-proportioned entrees, we all thoroughly enjoyed our meals. I had the rib eye, and found it to be one of the most tender and flavorful steaks I've had in my life.

The atmosphere was very nice as well. Sitting outside was great for us, but the sound of the waterfall made talking to all of our party a bit of a chore... How could we complain though? We asked to sit outside and most of us were already a little tired and cranky from our days.

My wife and I weren't particularly impressed when a waitress dropped a bowl of butter near our table and clearly watched us wiping ourselves (and our clothing) down without even offering an apology.

The pricing is reasonable for the quality, but our party was split on whether we wanted to pay lots for a fantastic meal, or pay little for a great meal. Since half of us were looking for party that night and the other half were looking to go to sleep, even our own group was inconsistent with whether we'd ever go back. Pricing is better than Ruth's Chris, but not substantially better. You pay for your sides, something normal in high-end steakhouses where we are, but liquor and house wines were very reasonably priced.

Would we return? It's tough to say. We thought the meal was superb, but it wasn't really our scene on that particular night. Most of us would have been happy to go somewhere in our board shorts rather than put on collared shirts.

It's a great spot, it just was a little too fancy for our tastes that night. Make this a special place for a special occasion, in particular if you're looking to do Roatan eating on a 'low price, high value' budget.