“Lovely day out”

Weald & Downland Living Museum
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Singleton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover the lives of our ancestors - ordinary working people. Discover their homes and the way they built them; their crops, flowers and the way they grew them; their animals and the way they raised them. Explore the Museum's farmsteads, village, Tudor kitchen, working watermill and superb collection of rescued buildings set in the glorious Sussex Downland landscape. Walk in the woods, bring the dog, visit the cafe, or bring a picnic and choose your perfect spot by the mill pond. Children are free to run, play and learn. You'll experience 950 years of England's rural heritage during a great day out. Why not try a special event day? These are packed with entertainment for all of the family and inspired by the life and times reflected at the Museum. Need a new hobby or a new skill which might change your career? Then we have a course for you!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Snodland, Kent
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Lovely day out”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I last came here as a kid over thirty years ago, so I was quite excited to come again. There are a lot more buildings now of course.
Good
Lots to see, and some very friendly staff. We felt it was very good value for money, and enjoyed the day very much. It took us around four hours to go round, I think it would be difficult to do it more quickly than that. We went round the buildings by number, and I would say that the first 25 were more interesting.
Bad
The buildings from 25-50 seemed to have more restricted access and less buildings to actually go in for the second half of the museum, also there was far less human interaction, which seems a pity.
It is not a great idea for the staff at the entrance to practically have a stand up row in front of people - the lady had obviously made a mistake on the till - it went on and on, and we almost walked out before we'd gone in!
My main complaint is the usual complaint, the restaurant and shop. Both were over priced. We went for tea and cake just after 4pm. There was very little choice of cake, and it didn't look great. So, we had two mugs of tea, which cost £1.70 each (we think) is far too much for a mug of tea. When will these places realise that if they reduce the prices, they will sell more. Higher profits for less greed. I don't know how these prices were justifiable - thank heavens we bought a picnic lunch! Not only do they have reduced sales, they also damage their goodwill too - such a pity.

• Czech first
Merseyside
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“An quality Living History attraction in West Sussex.”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This in my opinion is the best Living History site I have ever visited. It is vast and stretches over acres in the village of Singleton. The museum has rescued and re-sited historic buildings in danger of demolition. There are a number of buildings to enter and enjoy, also working historical machines to be informed about. Lots of enthusiastic volunteers are on hand to give extra information. If in the area of the South Downs this place is definitely worth a visit. Also, it has a great shop selling all souvenirs including flour milled in their own mill. It's a great day out with a cafe and facilities to help the visitor.

1 Thank MerseysideMargo
Ruislip
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Visited,on the way home,about 3pm in the afternoon.spent a leisurely pleasant 2 hours,strolling round the buildings,which was very interesting and I was glad they had,brief description,outside every building,as apart from other visitors,there were no guides/volunteers around or any thing going on.The buildings are in a lovely parkland setting.I did not visit the lakeside cafe,so I cannot comment on prices or food availability. There where number of people,just having a coffee and some where having a coffee and a picnic,on the outside tables.

1 Thank Nick A
Leeds, United Kingdom
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Brilliant day out”
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Went by accident & stayed four hours. It felt a bit rushed!! There was so much to see and all of it interesting. Basically a superb collection of rural & agricultural buildings from all over southern England, fastidiously deconstructed & transplanted from their original locations. Mostly staffed by friendly & knowledgeable volunteers. Gives a real insight into life in previous centuries. Great place for kids & adults alike!

Visited August 2013
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“A forgotten gem!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I last went to the Weald and Downland Open Air museum as a child, so thirty or so years later (!) I went back last week. I don't know why I havent been back since, as it was a really really good day out. The weather helped as everything was bathed in sunlight and made me feel like I was back in Larkrise to Candleford times! I still find it incredible how they have dismantled and rebuilt on site all these really old buildings. It has been done so well, and the volunteers around the buildings are really knowledeable and happy to tell you lots of anecdotes. We went on a wednesday in August where (unknown to us) there are lots of extra activities and renactment type experiences - willow making, grinding corn with the miller, corn doily making, being taught in the classroom etc.

I would thoroughly recommend a visit. I am not one really for old buildings if Im honest but I very much enjoyed the experience and found it deeply thought provoking at how tough life must have been in the days when the house were built. I'm just annoyed with myself for not having been in years, when its pretty much on my doorstep, or in the same county at least. Well worth going to.

It was also refreshing to see that any health and safety issues around the side did not prevent access, and were based on common sense and practicalities. The site is based over a lot of acres and there is quite a bit of walking to do around the land. The stair cases in some of the buildings are very steep and precarious so I would think this would not necessarily be easy for someone with mobility issues, but check beforehand in case the museum offers extra support?

Food was good and not expensive. We had a huge flapjack and cup of tea for less than £3 at the cafe and then had lunch at the main cafe - home made sandwiches on local bread. Very tasty and good value. Just had a few problems with wasps being everywhere we ate.

Visited August 2013