“Good food...very disappointing service”

Wildflour Cafe and Bakery
Ranked #19 of 667 Restaurants in Taguig City
Cuisines: European, French, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We arrived around 11 AM and most of the tables were empty (BGC location). As we came in the first thing the hostess said was "do you have a reservation?"..not even a good morning.. and she had this blank expression. She gave us the first table on the left side as you enter the restaurant and gave us breakfast menus. I had to ask for the lunch menu. She took our orders with this utterly bored look on her face. And I don't know what it was with the kitchen because our orders took a while and the server even forgot to serve us the small slice of baguette and the tiny container of butter. The bread came after the entrees were served. Only the chocolate cake came after we had finished our entrees..I had to ask what had happened to the apple pie. It may have just been a bad day but I guess all the hubbub about how "great" the place is has gotten into some people's heads. It's not just the food folks. It's service. We paid for our meal and left around noon, By this time, the place was getting full and it was obvious that there are too many tables for the space that is available. I was glad to be out of there. Not a good experience. I don't think I will be back again.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I think the main mistake I made is not making a reservation, but it doesn't excuse the following experience:

1. The usher was looking so utterly bored, inattentive, disinterested, and unenthusiastic leading me to my seat (5 adults, 1 kid) while I wait for my companions. When I requested if we can move to a table inside once there's availability, she just dismissed me with an muttered "OK". Not even an effort to be friendly, geez!

2. When someone took our orders, it took a few minutes (around 10) before the server came back to say some of our orders are not available. Also, there was this dish that came with kimchi rice and my companion was requesting if they could just make it plain rice and not bother with the kimchi rice, the person who took our order said, it's not possible. Really?! Plain rice is a whole lot easier, and it should be an easy request as we are assuming that the "kimchi rice" is made on order. So it was strange that they couldn't accommodate plain rice.

3. The food was OK, but nothing outstanding. The mac n' cheese was not "mac n' cheese" enough for me. Value for money? Not really. The servings I find a bit too small to be worth the price. To be fair, the tarte flambe and the burger was really good, though.

4. We had one child with us, and they don't even have a high chair for kids?! A cafe/ bakery / brunch place does not mean that only adults will be coming in. I assume weekends parents who want to have brunch bring their young kids/ toddlers/ babies with them, so why don't they have a high chair?

5. The arrangement of the tables/ chairs are ridiculously so cramped. I know "outside" tables equate to "smoking area" BUT the tables were so close together that the group of people on the other table who were smoking felt like they were on the same table with us.

6. When we were asking for the bill, the person had to be called twice. We got the attention of someone who was fixing the utensils, but she just acknowledged us with a nod, BUT continued to proceed with her task without informing her other companion that we needed to have the check / bill already. Yes, it took around 20 minutes just to have our bill.

7.The servers are way too busy inside that they don't even bother to regularly refill our glasses of water unless we call them. They only bother to go to our tables to clear out the empty plates (maybe because they needed to be washed already as another customer from another table ordering the dish needed it, go figure).

Overall experience is such a disappointment, and to think that I read a lot of blogs with glowing reviews about this place. Nope, not exactly coming back to dine in. Maybe, I will buy some of their baked goods, after 6pm when it's discounted.

1  Thank doolfreak
Reviewed June 4, 2013

That was a very good experience, we had Baked Escargot - Highly recommended (see my photos for full understanding), Salted chocolate cake (superior taste). Also suggested is the Green Tea mojito, Pineapple Basil Drink, very refreshing! Bare in mind that these guys are taking quality pretty serious, you can see from outside the bakers making everything from scratch and fresh products! The service from the waitresses was exceptional. You won’t regret your visit there.

1  Thank Kostas73
Reviewed June 2, 2013

For all the media & social network hype of this place, it is Not impressive. My German co-diner, who has the propensity to order the most challenging dish on any restaurant menu, was served a normal french mango crepe drowned in dollops of cream for a dish described as German Pancake with Mangoes, which shut his appetite. Servers, who dont know the food they are handling, are however specialists in apologising as they have to work in such tight spaces, thus constantly bump tables and/or diners. They should really decide on what they want to be - a self service cafe/bakery or a reasonably spaced cafe/diner. You cant be Antonio's Breakfast of Tagaytay or Dean & Delucca of NY if you aint got the room for it!

2  Thank Elizabeth L
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Fort, or the area of Taguig that we now call Bonifacio Global City, has recently seen a slew of notable restaurant openings. Currently, still on top of the game is the Wildflour Café + Bakery, a most charming American bistro concept that has been dishing out an interesting menu of well prepared bistro fare that are changed occasionally to suit the locale and clientele.

Current favorites include its baked-on-premises assorted artisan breads, Croque Madame, pizza-like Tarte Flambé with bacon, the budget friendly Soup-Salad-Sandwich Plate (consisting of grilled cheese sandwich, tomato soup and green salad), it's breakfast steak and eggs which is more popularly knows as the kimchi fried rice with flank steak (that I order medium rare), Milk Chocolate Pots de Crème topped with a layer of salted caramel, the Pastel de Tres Leches, and Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie.

The off-the-beaten-path corner location, modern cozy interiors, walls of glass overlooking the streets—all these create a warm and friendly ambience that provides a welcome respite from the ubiquitous mall dining scene.

At the culinary helm of this popular eatery are its owners: the very low-key and humble, LA based star Chef Walter Manzke, formerly from Downtown LA restaurant, Church and State and his wife and pastry chef Margarita Manzke, and her sister Ana de Ocampo, a home baker par excellence.

Completing the Wildflour culinary dream team is the young and talented Chef Allen Buhay, a California School of Culinary Arts graduate, and alumni of New York City’s 3-Michelin starred restaurant, Jean Georges.
Now barely a year old, Wildflour (Fort branch opened last August 2012) successfully just opened it's 2nd branch at the G/F of the SM Podium, offering a slightly different and lighter menu to its growing list of satisfied customers.