“Needs A Little Brightening”
Review of F1 Hotel Manila

F1 Hotel Manila
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Taguig City
Batangas City, Philippines
“Needs A Little Brightening”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The Best Western Premier F1 is to my knowledge one of only a couple of hotels at Bonifacio Global City (BGC). It is situated just across from St. Luke's Medical Center and S&R and is a short walk away from Bonifacio High Street Central.

The location is a good base to explore BGC as most everything else is within walking distance or reachable via the buses that ply the different routes within Global City or at worst using a taxi, which are plentiful. Taking a car from the hotel is not really efficient as you'd probably spend more on the parking rather than the taxi or bus fare.

The hotel itself is fairly adequate. Certainly in no way can it be considered as more than a functional hotel, with mainly business folk serving as its clientele. From the outside, the hotel is a shade of cream and the F1 logo on the building is quite evident even from afar. The hotel interior however is rather dark, from the lobby entrance, elevators, hallways and the rooms themselves. The reception area as well as the breakfast place had better natural illumination but generally I found the motiff needed a little more brightening.

We stayed in a Deluxe King room. The bed was indeed king sized (as opposed to two twin beds put together as I've seen elsewhere) and comfortable. There was an LCD TV, Ipod dock, a love seat and coffee table and the usual coffee and tea making facilities. There was likewise a work desk and wifi was free and available throughout the hotel.As there was only one common user ID and password for all guests, there was virtually no limit to the number of devices you can use, which served us in good stead as we had two tablets, a smartphone and laptop. Strangely though, the time on the Ipod dock was set wrongly and the alarm kept going off very early in the morning. I couldn't really figure out how to reset the time or turn off the alarm and I don't think housekeeping had any idea on how to do this as well as they never bothered to correct the time when they made up the room. No big deal. There was an in room safe that was big enough to fit all the aforementioned gadgets we had.

One other point I feel is worth mentioning is the elevator service. There are 4 elevators that service the 30 or so floors of the hotel plus residences. For some reason, certain elevators don't land on some common areas such as the gym or pool as well as the breakfast area. These are posted quite visibly at the elevator lobbies but when you have a limited number of elevators servicing a fair bit of floors and guests, it's really difficult to be choosy in terms of which elevator you wish to take. As such you'd have to get off at the nearest floor and either walk up or down a flight of steps to get to the desired floor if you happen to get an elevator that does not service such floor. The elevators also give a very faint audible signal that a unit is arriving once hailed and can quite easily be missed by people waiting at the lobby. Good to note though that unlike other hotels I've seen where lifts can be an issue, here the location of each elevator is shown at each floor so you do get an idea of when a unit is on the way. One last flaw to note on the elevators is that the card sensors don't work even though it is clearly posted on each lift that you had to tap your card to access your floor. This was the case of course at the time of our stay. Whether such had been the situation before is not known to me.

During our stay as well we noted a fair bit of construction noise nearby. Not sure whether it was really from within the hotel or outside. There was clearly construction work ongoing on both sides of the hotel. The noise however was mostly apparent during daytime and not in the evening.

Service was efficient but nothing really extraordinary. We asked for late checkout and were given upto 2 PM rather than the 12 PM standard checkout time, which was certainly appreciated. Breakfast was not something to call home about. The spread was quite limited and the quality was not that good in my view. There should be better options nearby.

Overall, the price we got for the stay was quite okay for the location and amenities. Would think that the F1 hotel really positions itself as more of a functional place to stay in a plus location. If you are looking for luxury perhaps look elsewhere. If all you are after is a decent place to stay that could serve as a good base to explore BGC then you need look no further.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RRGT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Korean first
Reviewed December 25, 2012

One of the worst hotel services we've experienced. We arrived early for our check in and the front desk lady threw our hotel voucher back to my partner saying you're too early. He asked if she could check if there was a room available by any chance. She looked at her screen for a moment, then came back with a 'no'.
Then she moved on to the next guest, without so much of a 'you can leave ur luggage at the concierge' or something else, anything else to make us feel that our stay was welcomed. We made our way over to the empty concierge desk and had to wait around 10mins for someone to appear to take our bags.
When we finally managed to check in, they gave us a bed (single bed for hotel standards) and tried to argue with us that it was a King. They finally came up to our room and agreed to change the room when they saw the bed. Our new room had a proper king sized bed but all that fuss had soured our initial impression.

Their breakfast buffet was decent enough.   The lifts were terribly slow and it took forever to get up and down. We were on the 15th floor and at night, we could hear music from the hotel pool/bar till late into the night.

Checking out was another nightmare which took almost half an hour bcos they won't give us a reciept to close the hotel bill.

The location was great as its a 5 min walk to the Bonafacio high street area. I'm looking forward to the Shang and other hotels to open up in the Bonafacio area as I will never be coming back to this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank HanJS
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here three times already. The latest was last Nov 2012. We always get the room city suite double because it's spacious. The bathroom is a little tight, aircon is always not that cold, food sucks, location's great, service was so slooow. We checked in at 4pm and still they rooms were not available, we have to wait 30mins to clean up the room. I booked through agoda, when I came to check in they told me they will upgrade to fort suite because the city suite I booked was not available but I declined because i insistedly want a 2 double bed room. Instead, they put me to a city suite king plus free extra bed. They also allow to check out at 2pm which is great. But as always, no bellboys to help you bring your luggage to your room. Always. Unless you request.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank dms518
the Philippines
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Just spent a day at this hotel, and wished we didn't choose it for our meeting.

Upon reaching the hotel and attempted to park at the basement parking for hotel guests, I found out that the basement parking is closed. I had to park at the pay parking in front, which was not managed by the hotel.

Upon entering the hotel, there was no power. Had to climb the escalator to reach our meeting room. No lights, no airconditioning - no generator/ back-up power. When I asked the hotel management, they said power will be restored in 30 minutes. One hour passed, still no power. After almost 2 hours, sweating and almost about to faint from lack of air, the power came back. Apparently, the hotel was on back-up power for four days, and the generator conked out.

With the power back, it was the service that became obviously inferior. We had a meeting room with no extra flip chart paper, markers, nor coffee. Worst, the hotel staff that was supposed to assist us went missing.

To make things worse, our buffet lunch was not at par with the usual quality you'd find in a Best Western hotel. The food was substandard, and was not replenished on time. Service was really bad as servers were avoiding the guests like the plague.

Last, but definitely not the least, the toilets stink. Again, not what you would expect in a Best Western.

With that said, I strongly recommend that the Best Western group immediately remove this hotel from their group. For travellers who're considering a stay in this hotel, go to a Makati CBD hotel instead. The travel time from Makati to the Fort will be worth the sacrifice than going through the experience we endured here.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank CarloMarcelo
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Got a dealgrocer for this hotel. Hotel is new thus everything is clean. Rooms are nice - bed is comfortable, walls are thick enough so that I do not hear people walking or talking.

Buffet breakfast though can be improved. Not much choices.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cinnamon23
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My two-night stay was anything but comfortable and convenient, all thanks to the front desk staff.

I had registered days before my stay as required under the terms of the deal (from a coupon-selling site) and had my room upgraded to city suite for an additional amount of P500/night. I re-registered morning of my stay, gave the P3000/night deposit and was specifically told I can check-in in my room by 12:30pm. Returned by 12:45 pm and was told by NETH of front desk that my room was being readied and I will be called as soon as it was available. I patiently waited for an hour until I saw those who came in later were already being given rooms. I reminded front desk of my reservation and still they made me wait. By the time they gave me my room, it was already 2:00 pm. Had this been the only inconvenience, I would brush the incident aside.

When I got to my room, however, I saw maintenance people inside my room working on the busted lights which they said could not be repaired immediately. When I asked for a change of room, trish of front desk sent a trainee to address my complaint. I asked the trainee what kind of room am I being moved to because I had my reservation upgraded, the trainee had absolutely no clue what kind of room it was. It turned out to be a room with single bed and whose window open to the back of a building, absolutely no "sweeping views of the lovely Fort skyline" which they claim under the deal offer. I insisted on my original reservation of a city suite, with twin beds and on a high non-smoking floor; they moved me to at least 3 different rooms that did not at all meet what I asked for (they said they'll substitute the twin bed with either a sofa bed or a rolling bed!). Finally, by 3:00pm, they offered the city suite on the 11th floor. Room was ok, but I realized cleaning staff wasn't thorough...I found an underwear in one bathroom drawers. After being made to wait for 3 hours to get a room, I decided to let this one pass and just closed the drawer.

On my 2nd night, my keycard wasn't working so I called to have it changed. Front desk assured me they'd send someone for the new keys. By morning, still no one came and I had to go down to the front desk to get it using their ever-so-slow elevator! The tripadvisor contributor below certainly wasn't kidding when he said an average waiting time of 8 mins for the lifts.

Finally, check out: they charged me only one night for the room upgrade. I reminded them that I stayed for two nights and they corrected the bill. If it were their intention to give the one night upgrade as a gift for the inconvenience they caused, they certainly did not say anything. I would much rather pay for it than feel I owe them for their lousy front desk service.

Bottom line is, I would NOT recommend staying in this hotel. Location may be good, but hotel is surrounded by construction areas that it doesn't feel safe walking past them at night. Service, especially by front desk, is atrocious. Bfast buffet was ordinary and rarely refilled. Better book another hotel.

Room Tip: Check room if it's actually what you booked for. They might try to pass off a deluxe room for c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank vmco_mnlph
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed in a CitySuite room (rm.1601) with my kid, and I have to say, I was quite impressed. It's definitely up a notch compared to other Best Western properties I've tried. The room was pretty big, the size of a usual 1BR condominium with decent interiors. However, there were a few boo-boos I didn't like.

1. The pillows smelled of other people's oily scalp. Or maybe it's just my overly sensitive nose.
2. The water doesn't fully drain in the shower area.
3. We got bath towels that had marks on it. It smelled clean though.
4. Construction folks were peeking over the pool, and one was even on the shower area when my son took a shower. There wasn't also a pool shallow enough for a toddler ( they have a wading pool 3.5ft high) except for the jacuzzi which was off limits that day. It really disappointed my son that he couldn't swim there.
5. While the walls were thick, their doors weren't, and that made me the hear bangs of doors and conversations of people on the corridor. When somebody called our room to check on us ( first time I experienced this on my frequent hotel stays, which I really appreciate ), this is what I mentioned and they sent someone to check on the noise.
6. Not the best breakfast spread.
7. Not the best elevators. Some lifts' buttons are already damaged, considering they've only been in operation for less than 2 years.
8. Their front desk and concierge seem amateur.

Now don't get me wrong. Aside from the things I mentioned, everything was close to perfect. I genuinely enjoyed my stay and I would definitely go back for another staycation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
#19 of 82 in Makati
Discovery Primea
Discovery Primea
#2 of 82 in Makati

Been to F1 Hotel Manila? Share your experiences!