“Private island, but mooring for rent”
Review of Guana Island

Guana Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Guana Island
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This island is private with private houses and properties. In the big bay there is a small dock which we were thrown our from when we tried to tie up our dingy for a walk at the beach. We were asked to use the middle or eastern part of the beach which we did. No people on this white beach with wonderful water. We hired one of the moorings which was was rent (as always use 30/night) and spend a very quite evening with a great sunset behind a big yeah anchoring up in the bay late in the afternoon. No restaurants or other facilities; just a quite place to stay overnight.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Guana Island

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We recently returned from Guana. We spent 6 nights there for our 20.5 year anniversary. If you have not familiarized yourself with their website do so now, it is very accurate and helpful. We flew into Tortola and we met by the very friendly staff that took us to the boat for the short ride over to Guana. After arriving at the dock in Guana we were met my 3-4 staff members that welcomed us to the island and gave us a tour and drove us to our room. There are not any true roads on Guana. Everyone gets around using golf carts. We stayed in the North Beach Cottage which comes with its own golf cart which is wonderful. Our villa was on a secluded beach that was away from the rest of the main part of he island. It has its own pool, deck and it the epitomy of private. The entire time we stayed there we did not see anyone on "our" the beach. The staff is wonderful, they will do as much or as little as you desire. My wife and I spent most days on the island hiking the trails or hanging out on the beach. We did scuba dive one day and the staff set everything up for us. There were only about 10-12 guest on the island while we were there. I am typically not as social as my wife, but I thought the conversations at the breakfast and lunches with the other guests were one of the best parts. There were guests from all over the world and chatting with them about their parts of the world and the different professions was fascinating. The island is truly unspoiled, there are miles of hiking trails, some easy some difficult. The staff provided us with a cell phone for the week in case we needed anything urgently. Our cottage had WiFi which I worked much better than I would have thought. During my wife's daily naps I could easily stream netflix movies and facetime with the kids back home worked pretty well. The food was top notch. Breakfast was a buffet or off a menu, lunch was a buffet and dinner was off a menu. I am a health nut and eat what most would describe as extremely healthy. I had no problems maintaining my diet there, they always provided a fish dish with lunch and dinner and fresh vegetables and fruits were always available. I exercise quite a bit and was able to run on the flat part of the island in a .6 mile loop. I also am a magnet for bugs and found that I was bitten much less than anywhere else I have been, including my own home. It rained the day we left otherwise mostly sunny. When I booked the vacation I wanted somewhere private and secluded, Guana was perfect. It was so nice not bothered on the beach every 10 minutes with someone selling you a drink, if you want a drink at Guana you just walked to the bar and make one yourself. This is definitely not the place if you are looking for clubs, hook ups and nightlife, its just not that kind of place. It is not cheap but for us on our 20th it was as close to perfect as we could have asked for. The great service extended to the Tortola airport on our way home when the man that runs the island happened to be departing at the same time and asked where in Puerto Rico we were spending the night and after telling him about the cheap hotel we were staying, he promptly changed our reservation to the Ritz in Puerto Rico for the Guana employee rate of $125.00 a night!! Guana will be tough to top for our future island vacations. Our kids want to go to Atlantis this summer and I am dreading it!! haha.

Room Tip: The North beach cottage sits all by itself. You can only get there with a golf cart and it is comple...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Spasmus
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Our family of 4 just returned from a week's stay at Guana Island and had a fantastic time. First of all, the location is spectacular- you can hike, snorkel, tour the orchard, watch birds or whatever you desire without leaving the island. The accommodations are simple and elegant, and the lack of phones and TVs in the room is a definite plus that we hope the resort won't change. Our teenage boys read 9 books between them and it was great for us all to get away from technology for a week. The food was wonderful- appropriately proportioned and delicious with enough variety throughout the week to keep us happy. The hotel staff were among the best we've met and were always happy to accommodate whatever request we made. If you are seeking peace and quiet and to get away from the crowds this is it. We will definitely return,

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank coldweatherescaper
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Greg and I were supposed to stay for four night at Guana Island but then realized that we wanted to stay longer. As a result we extended for another three nights. We end up having the island for the two of of those last days. Staff was amazing, food was insane and the massage. yoga incredible. The beach, just to think that such an amazing place exist is hard to believe. The pictures don't make adgustment because the place is just spectacular.
I can go on and on but overall this was an incredible stay. From playing tennis for hours, having lunch at the beach/drinks, go kayaking, and the list goes on. Over all Guana island and staff was a try paradise. See you soon Guana :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Home Sweet Home! Just back from my 6 mile walk and had time to think about our trip. The island is an unspoiled beauty. The staff were so friendly. They always had a smile on their faces,even early in the morning or late at night. We met many great couples and have even been in touch with one couple since we have been home. I must say our visit was rather like an adult summer camp. Lots to do . All kind of water sports and any level of hiking you might want. The food was what wd expected from the previous reviews. Breakfast was the best, lunch was good and dinner was fine. If there was something that you did not like they would gladly substitute. Nice smaller servings at night which was good after eating all day. Our room was wonderful. But we did find out after talking to other guests that not all rooms are created equal. One couple felt like they were in the low rent district. Several of us toured each others rooms after lunch one day and they were all very different. Just be sure to state what you want in a room. Management needs to be aware that guests will talk. I found out toward the end of our trip that most guests were there on a romance package that included 2 massages and a castaway picnic. It was for one day less than we were staying and a large amount of money less than what we paid. I was upset that we were never offered this package and did write Jason and let him know. Neverless we had a great time and I will just be more careful next time I book. Joe down at the beach was great. He took several of us on a snorkle trip one day to introduce us to his underwater friends. We held a sea urchin, a star fish and got to see many different kinds of fish. All in all a very relaxing trip. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have

Room Tip: Just let management know what you want . Privacy was very important to us.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank texsun59
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Words cannot capture how great this place is. The island itself is a fascinating nature reserve and features several amazing beaches. Our room was high on a hill overlooking water on all sides with two terraces. Food was spectacular. Privacy is available or you can mingle with other guests. When we were there there were around 15 guests and 40 staff!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter V
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We just got back from a few days in paradise. Thank you to the entire Guana team for another magical visit. Our first visit was for our honeymoon. We had been 'dreaming' of a visit ever since. We returned this time to celebrate our anniversary and our daughter's birthday. Words can not express what a truly unique and wonderful place Guana is. It is only place that we have found that we can truly 'relax' and get away from it all. THANK YOU Guana -- we will be counting the days until we are back again!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Sebastian's on the Beach
Sebastian's on the Beach
#1 of 13 in Road Town
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Guana Island? Share your experiences!